WW85's November (11/14) Jet's Mock Draft (3.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 14, 2011.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I could be wrong, but I think part of Scott restructuring was making it so it would be nearly impossible to cut him this year. I think I read something like that at the time, but like I said I could be wrong.

Rex definitely has big decisions to make with Leonhard and Scott, especially Scott. He's clearly slipped this season and his playing time has been reduced. When we face pass happy teams, you barely see him out there. He's still a useful player against the run, but not worth that salary obviously.

I think Leonhard will definitely stay on, but he'd be greatly helped by a more athletic safety playing next to him. That would fix a lot of issues.

In regard to Burfict, I've seen him play a few times and he's very impressive. However, I read that his draft stock has been slipping and there are even reports he's considering skipping the draft and staying for his senior season. Don't know how true that is, but something to keep an eye on. If he's around when the Jets pick, it would be really hard to pass up someone who could really help our front 7 like that. Unfortunately, I could see Rex's loyalty to Bart come into play and stick with him for another year and using that 1st round pick to address another area.

2. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

That's my issue with him as well. I noticed him immediately as a freshman as being a total beast at LB, but he has all the makings of a head case.

It seems like he knows he's doing wrong with all the personal fouls, then goes and does it again despite that. I know Dennis Erickson is probably the wrong guy to be teaching discipline, but can someone get through to this kid at the NFL level? We all see how Donkey Kong Suh is dead center of the NFL's radar week in and week out, I just don't want that problem on our team.

3. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Sounds perfect to me. Jets need a psycho at LB, kind of like Suggs and Harrison.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

If we dont cut ties with at least Bart Scott this defense will definitely take a step back. I really hope Rex's loyalty doesnt get the better of him here because this team does not need that right now- In reality, at least 3 defensive starters should be gone (IMO Scott, Smith, Cactus and possibly leohnard depending on FA)

Burfict would make a huge difference on this defense, attitude and speed.

Just something I've noticed lately is that this team has gotten away from itself and become too soft and cute. It is evident on the offense, but the defense has lost its attitude lately too and a huge turnover is needed this offseason.

5. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Love the Burfict pick, I remember some of us had the Jets taking Tez Wilson. I love the idea of having a do everything linebacker, and with his attitude he would thrive in our defense.

I like the Massaquoi pick, it makes even more sense if Westermann can start full time

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Not sure if I love the second round safety but the rest of the draft is superb. BJ Cunningham in the 4th would be pretty hard , I think he will rise come draft time and be more of a late 2nd to mid 3rd rounder. He has become one of my favorite players as of late and he has shown great run blocking skills for not exactly the biggest guy around.

Burfict is a perfect fit here. He'd do wonders in this system no question about that. My one question is if Scott were too be kept does Burfict play outside till we cut Bart in 2013? Or Does Bart go outside and play a catus type role of run stopping? How would it work out best for the jets.

Reynolds has impressed me a lot, hes shown a lot of improvement in his game , especially pass blocking. The kid needs grooming and too work on footwork a bit but with time hed be good.

Good stuff as always WW.

7. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Man I love Burfict. Question is will he be there at the end of round 1

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Probably not.

If we don't make the playoffs or get bounced in the wild card game....he should be availble.

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Edit: wrong thread

10. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

The way things are playing out we may wind up with a mid round pick to upper 1/3 pick....this team, regardless of who you want to blame, is just failing miserably.

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

If we're picking in the early-mid 20's - and Burfict is off the board - would Dont'a Hightower be an option? From what I've seen, he's versatile with the ability to play both inside and outside.

I'm definitely no Draft/NCAA guru, so can you guys provide the skinny and your input on him?

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Hightower is having a great year, he's probably the leader on Bama's defense. Had a down year last season, recovering from a knee injury.

Hightower is better inside and is close to a David Harris clone.

IMO, the draft people on this site like Burfict much better since he's an intense player that would compliment perfectly with Harris. Hightower is a more cerebral player, compared to Burfict. I'm not discounting Hightower's physical ability, but Burfict is a physical demon.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I am fine with Burfict as long as he can play OLB and cuts down on some mistackles I see him make in some games.

Stuff like that can be coached up. Still, I can see RT being addressed in round 1.

14. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

He was a few pounds away from being a 34 DE this year, his injury in 2009 cause him to slow down and gain 215-20 pounds on his 260 Lbs frame in 2010. He bounced back well, and even though Upshaw has had a great year, Saban still holds firm that Hightower is the best passrusher on the team.

When is the last time you've seen a starting ILB drop down to play DE on 3rd downs? Because if you watch Hightower, he does it a lot...

15. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

I would love to grab Burfict in the 1st, we can play him inside or outside, he can play BT's role then switch to the inside and blitz up the middle and with Maybin still developing and hopefully J-Mass we can go Maybin-Burfict-J-Mass blitzing on 3rd and long with Ellis and Wilkerson inside, Harris in coverage in the middle, the 3 headed monster taking out their receivers, and a our 2 new safeties(Hopefully Laron Landry at SS playing the TE and Robert Lester at FS playing center field

16. sg3

sg3 Banned

the Jets should be drafting high enough in the first round to get one of the two top OLBs projected in most mock drafts (Curry or Brown). I would prefer one of those two replacing the godawful Westerman and old unreliable Bryan Thomas at one OLB position with Pace on the other side and then put Mayhem on all passing downs (replacing Pace) to actually strike some fear into the hearts of an opposing quarterback for a change

note the clean uniforms that Brady and then Tebow had leaving the field the last two weeks without anyone even getting close to breathing near them for most of the two games

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I don't really follow college football or the draft as much as I used to when I was in college, so a lot of names are completely unfamiliar to me. Now I'm not saying he's always right or even right the majority of the time, but I saw Scott Wright has Massaquoi going in the 1st round in his 10/25 mock draft. Has he fallen that much because of his play this year? I know the comparison with Ware is only there because of the school, but this kid sounds like a beast that I'd love on the team. He just doesn't sound like a 6th round guy.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

His stats have taken a major hit. His performance this season is much different than last year's.

I believe he'll stay in school for his senior year.

19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

I think Burfict goes top 15. we won't get him

20. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Teams don't usually go crazy with MLB so early.

I can see teams taking Luke Kuechly, the BC LB before Burfict so there is a distinct possibility that he could be around the Jets. Its just a matter of if he can learn how to play the OLB position and if he can control his emotions where he isn't overplaying a play and putting himself in bad angles for a running play.