We're just not a great team right now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

Ngata lines up at end frequently anyway. I'm sure we were only planning to double team him when he rotated inside.

2. benhamean

benhamean Member

The Jets would be 1-3 now if not for the generousness of Tony Romo's heart...

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, we're still not.

Though I hope they win all their upcoming games, the team is 9-7 AT BEST, and even that seems unrealistic. We're an 8-8 team, and certainly playing like one.

4. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

weve been the same team for 3 years.....we backed into the playoffs the last 2 ...its been the same shit IMO.....loved getting into the playoffs BUT
    dominate NO ONE....play down to EVERYONE is the JETS anthem

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can't dominate on defense when the strength is in the defensive backfield. That just doesn't work. So Rex's desire to play a tight defensive game turns into the other team either making a mistake and throwing at Revis or basically treading water waiting for special teams or a Jet's turnover to setup good field position.

Late in the game the defense is tired and they've been holding the fort all day and they give up a lot of long game-losing drives. This is a pattern we've seen over and over again now this year.

On offense Rex just wants to keep it buttoned down, which is understandable given what he's seen out of Sanchez and Schotty to date, but that limits the Jets ability to make the defensive contributions worthwhile.

Really the Jets need to make a change on the offensive side at this point. They're going nowhere with Sanchez and Schotty as the key factors in the offense.

So, start Mark Brunell (which will lead to Schotty getting fired pretty quickly) or fire Schotty. Or just keep losing games like they have been, with a misfiring offense dragging the team down until the defense folds.

BTW. if the Jets had the usual talent base of a good 3-4 team, with a dominant NT and good pass rushing LB's they'd be a hell of lot better off than they are with an all star defensive backfield as the main focus on that side. I love Darrelle Revis but I would trade him for DeMarcus Ware or LaMarr Woodley in a heartbeat.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's moronic.

He's the best defender in the game. Without solid cornerback play, this scheme would fail.

Rex Ryan doesn't run a traditional 3-4. You should know that.

If you replaced Revis with an elite pass rusher, the OLB might get a few more sacks than Pace and Thomas, but our secondary would be trash.

Imagine our secondary without Revis: Cromartie, Wilson, Strickland, Leonhard, and Smith.

TRASH.

7. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

they screwed the pooch last night, man I'm catching heat from non football following people in the office out here, do you know how infuriating that is?
    these people don't know what a first down is and i'm getting heat, time to start hurling insults back now that they seem to be out of breath.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Exactly right.

IMO,

If Kenrick Ellis could stay on the field, with Wilkerson, we're one good draft from being an Impact defense.

Maybin has been a nice surprise but you need that Stud everydown OLB to complete what we have.

You get that guy and THEN we get pressure with 4 men consistently....

Then on passing downs(and third downs) you bring Maybin in....and you dont need to go to Cover Zero like we did at the end of last nights game.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Steelers don't have a Revis like talent or anybody really close and they are great almost every year. Why? Because they put so much pressure on the QB he can't think straight and Ike Taylor (who is a good CB) and whoever is opposite him can get the job done when the QB is running for his life.

The Ravens don't have a Revis like talent or anybody really close and they are great almost every year. Why? Because they put so much pressure on the QB he can't think straight and their CB's can get the job done when the QB is running for his life.

The Jets have this backwards. They've built from the outside in and then find that they're soft at the worst times because they can't control the line of scrimmage when they have to.

And the Jets would be fine with Cromartie, Wilson and company. Assuming they had a real pass rush to go with that and no hole at FS.

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Revis is such a dominant talent that it's hard to say you would take anyone else over him. But I agree. I'll always take the dominant pass rusher over the dominant cornerback. I'd take Ware over Revis every day of the week.

Revis is the best corner in football. But a dominant pass rusher can do more for your team.

11. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

We should focus on keeping Revis and finding a dominating or at least serviceable pass rusher. Something this team has failed to do for 3 years now.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Great? Man, I am not greedy, I will take just take good at this point.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I feel I can make this exact same post now. Sanchez shows flashes but little more. Maybe I'd give Plaxico a little more credit since he has made plays for Mark, particularly in the red zone, but he's not the deep threat Braylon was.

Yep. Now that we have Revis, we should focus on getting the best pass rushing OLB we can get. We've let that position degrade a little bit. We have some depth players, but we need that piece out there opponents are scared of. That's been the missing piece for years, our Suggs/Woodley/Harrison/Ware.

And while we don't run a true 3-4 defense, Rex can ALWAYS use a big-time pass rusher. Obviously, the defense wouldn't be as good without Revis. That's because Rex uses him like a chess piece and gameplans the defense around him.

If the Jets had a top pass rusher, Rex would gameplan the defense around him, getting him in good one-on-one matchups and free runs at the QB. Imagine this defense with Revis AND a guy who consistently made plays in the backfield.

14. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Backed into the playoffs last year??

15. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

gimee a break you actually believe we shoulda beat LIONS/BROWNS last year?????
    we shouldnt a gotten in bro.

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

You don't understand what backing into the playoffs means.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Well English isn't your first language, you are too fluent in stupid for that to be the case.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

So who deserved it more? Give me a break.. the Jets won those games, against the other teams best players. I wasn't aware it only mattered if you played well or not when you get a win. You can go through every single team and there are games they win that they probably shouldn't.. just as there are games they lose that they shouldn't.

If the Jets don't get in this year are you going to be saying "Oh well they were beating Oakland, and Mangold was hurt for the Balt game, and the Tebow game doesn't count.. this counts as a playoff year!"? Somehow I doubt it..

I could see in 09 with the Colts benching Peyton Manning, but to be honest I never gave a shit about that or what people said about it. The Jets got in and made the most of their opportunity.

19. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

as ive stated many times....ima 68 unemployed alcoholic who only has 1 piece of furniture and this computer......dont mess with me boy .....5th jack and coke as we type,,but seriously my left nut knows football than u .......yes we backed in brah

20. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

1000 posts!!! yay filler nutsack