I'll just post this than let myself get flamed.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

We're not nearly as good as our 09' team so can we officially stop bringing them up?

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Sanchez then by that measure has been "awful" the past two years. He hasn't really been better or worse this year than the past two years. Hopefully Greene and LT will come back healthy and the run game will improve, that's been this team's strength and you're not going to win too many games no matter who you're playing when McKnight is carrying the load.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

That's certainly true and the first thing I thought about, but ;

This team isn't as talented as those two teams were. We have yet to see a dominant performance from our o line. In 09 and a good part of 10, they were money. Poor play calling and sanchez's rookie mistakes tend to sometimes diminish that, but they were consistent and a more or less dominant force.

Our O line is barely middle of the road right now. The more i pay attention to Brandon Moore the more I think he's not the same player. Maybe it's age or maybe it's the hip injury (possibly long term issue), but I don't see him dominating games like he used to. You NEVER saw Moore give up a play like he did today where that guy rolled up on Sanchez's legs.

And of course you have Hunter, who alternates from decent to completely awful. Unfortunately when he's completely awful, he costs us games. You can't be a lineman and be completely awful at any time.

Slauson is decent, and i dont see him a problem, but he's the type of guy who can do his good and be solid if the guys around him are exceptional, which was the case last year.

our right side of the line needs a complete overhaul.

It's very simple. If our Oline is good, our team is good. It means we can run the ball, which plays to sanchez's strengthes in the play action. It means we can keep him upright so he's not worried about getting killed every play. It means he's not going to make rushed or forced throws and get speared by the pass rush. It helps the defense out because they're not so gassed from being on the field all game.

I've been pretty lenient with the front office but they really screwed up on this. The offensive line has been THE most instrumental part of this team the past 2 years, and probably even in 08 in terms of the offense.

#23 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. PinPointPenning10

But the '09 team was 4-6. This team is 5-5. Why is it not a fair comparison?

5. k311

k311 Member

I was optimistic last year consistently. That team looked MILES better than this one. We made some very poor moves this offseason and we're now paying for it.

The offense had good weeks and bad weeks last year. This year they have looked pitiful nearly every game. So pitiful that they've made life exceptionally harder for the defense.

Scotty has to go. Tonight. It's not irrational anymore, it should have happened a long time ago.

6. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Because that team had a monster offensive line, the best run game in the NFL, and, most importantly, a Rex Ryan defense that the entire league didn't know how to fucking gameplan against.

7. PinPointPenning10

We got in at 9-7 in 09. Anything can happen. The AFC isn't very good this year.

8. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

Sanchez is about to lose the receivers and this team....Something drastic has to happen but I don't think we'll see that until the season is over...

9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I agree, i think the whole team is going to quit on the season... the d is out there all game, the receivers are open(least plax is allot) and you can see the frustration on his face.

10. PinPointPenning10

That team also had a ton of problems. The defense fell apart on multiple drives late in games, just as it did tonight. The run game was better but only because they literally would not let Sanchez do anything (and when they did, he ranged from bad to awful, like the 5-INT game in Buffalo). Plus, the receivers were not as talented. I agree the O-Line is a problem this year, but considering this is the same group that dominated late in the season last year, it's not unreasonable to think they can get it together.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

it's over. just hope they fire schotty tonight, that would improve the holidays a whole lot. my xmas wish is for schotty to be gone and mcelroy healthy next year.

12. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I dont know, schotty, Wayne hunter, awful and the team has allot of problems. But sanchez looks really bad this season.

13. PinPointPenning10

I know, but Sanchez and Schotty have definitely looked worse. I agree on Hunter though, they need to figure something out there because he's not getting it done.

14. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

We had a dominant offensive line. Those days are gone.

15. Trifco

Trifco New Member

This.

---

I'd use tonight's last drive (58 seconds):

Last season I had hopes that MS (still My Quarterback) could lead a great series to score the winning TD.
    Not this time. Because of the OL. And just like I thought, the (lack of) OL showed in that last drive.

If you build a great OL, all you need is an average good QB to win.
    If you build a crappy OL, you need an elite QB to win.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

So kid gets killed sunday, has 3 days to prepare for a game cross country, and gets killed again tonight, but hes the worst QB in the league? Some of you need to get a grip.

17. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Man Giant fans get kinda touchy when you talk bad about their team, huh?

18. Odd Neck Stems

Thank you for this post, and this perspective. I won't say that I'd predict what you say to come to pass, or even say it's likely, but it is worth understanding that this season isn't over.

19. Cynic

Cynic New Member

Why don't you listen to the kid's postgame press conference. No excuses. He knows he played DREADFULLY and said so.

20. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

because 9-7 is no where near good enough to make the post season.......................