Mark's Deep Ball

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Montana, Nov 11, 2011.

1. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

They've played eight games, and in three of them there wasn't an effective offensive line to give time to throw deep. Or even short, effectively.

Simple facts don't show up in numbers.

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

and when in the game it happened also matters.

for example, a QB who's trying to rally at the end of the game with no time outs is going to try to make deep throws but those will be heavily covered. due to the situation, QB has no choice but to throw it up there. not a true reflection of the overall situation

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other thing of course is that we do not know how much of Sanchez success or failures on deep routes are a result of Schotty's design flaws and play calling.

The other big piece of evidence that we have on this issue is Brett Favre's miserable deep passing performance in 2008, which was very uncharacteristic of him. He threw 10 int's on deep passes in only 57 attempts in 2008. If you look at his splits from other seasons, in Green Bay and Minnesota, he did just fine on the long balls. Plug him into the modified scheme in NY and suddenly he can't shoot straight at those distances.

4. Montana

Montana Member

How many of those INT's, came post injury?

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

IMHO from watching him over the years; Mark isn't a great deep ball passer. (I'm talking 30+ yards. he's great on 20 something yarders in the middle of the field to DK and what not, but i consider that more intermediate)

He can hit a wide open receiver who's got a defender beat by more than a few steps but he doesn't really do well in putting up jump balls or when it's man to man coverage and fairly close. That was even when we had braylon. it's certainly not his strength. his best asset is his ability to hit throws from 10-25 yards

6. Montana

Montana Member

Other QB's have o-line issues (for more than 3 games), other QB's have pass interference calls called on passes they've thrown. (and they aren't dead last in balls thrown over 21 yards)

The things you're pointing out, although legitimate, and worthy of note for context.........aren't things that are solely specific to Sanchez and the Jets.

#26 Montana, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Yes, and a five yard pass to make a game winning touchdown doesn't look as good as a 15 yard pass on 3rd and 20 to lose a game. On a stat sheet.

#27 James Calvin, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

5 in the 6 injury games. 5 in the 10 games before that.

9. GangGreenKing

GangGreenKing New Member

it will get better

10. GreenMachine

Stats.com says he has 14 passes completed over 25 yards

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=118

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I can't honestly remember Mark and Santonio hooking up on a sideline route ever. Seems that Holmes is almost always overthrown. I wonder if Mark doesn't trust him to fight for jump balls.

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Even if his pass % downfield sucks, he needs to keep at it to get those pass interference calls, to get the opposing defence to spread out, and to eventually start connecting on those passes. Schittenheimer has been too much of a pussy to work on that

13. Montana

Montana Member

Stats + context > stats.

We already established that.

14. Montana

Montana Member

15. Montana

Montana Member

So even pre-injury he was on pace for a career worst.

16. Montana

Montana Member

....and with Edwards gone, Tone needs to be that deep threat.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He used to put too much air under his long throws. I thought that was how he got the distance...but I have seen him throw long on a flatter arc. Seems the chatter about his arm strength has quieted.

As far as jump balls go, that one to Tone in the end zone was pretty sweet. Looked like there were 4 defenders on him. NFL Networks AFC Playbook showed the play back-to-back with the exact same play from the week 2 Jacksonville game. Same 6 point result as well.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

will he though? i mean, that is certainly a weakness of theirs.... but throwing deep is also a weakness of ours.... i mean hell, we dont even really have those plays in our offense any more. when was the last sideline 9 route/streak that we even attempted? you saw at least 1 or so a week to edwards last season.

ive said this in the shotty thread a few times. we havent made teams respect us down field on the outsides. and in spite of the dilfer stat, i think throwing downfield is sanchez strength, as opposed to the short stuff he seems to be inaccurate on. i think the poor stats are due to the kinds of deep throws we attempt.... usually the deep stick routes or deep over the middle to keller. not longer really deep throws.

anyhow, i dont think we beat the pats throwing deep. i think we do it the way we have been playing... run first, go play action, and attack in the intermediate passing game. if we turn it over, we wont win.

19. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

There's been a few in the past couple of weeks, and two to Holmes that I can recall easily ended in a defensive PI call.

20. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

When i see these mark sanchez deep throws thread, all i can think of is that huge TD in the start of the 3rd quarter against pittsburgh in afc championship. that td gave me so much hope goddamnit.

but about those stats, idk, they seriously suck, 3 int really?
    well anyway, they are gonna get better, sanchez is playing better now