Mark's Deep Ball

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Montana, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Montana

Montana Member

Just noticed Trent Dilfer mention this on twitter....

Now, to be clear, he's not bashing Sanchez, he's simply pointing out the facts.

Does anyone know where to find Mark's #'s on such plays, for 2009, and 2010?.....should we be concerned with this, or is it simply an anomaly given the small sample size?

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

he had a serious connection with edwards with the deep ball. we dont have a down field home run threat.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Sanchez will be throwing his balls deep all over the patriots grill.

4. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Jesus Christ, John Beck sucks..

5. Montana

Montana Member

No question.

6. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

He's got a bunch that didn't make the stat sheet because of defensive PI, 2 against SD in/near the end zone. He got the yards but not credit for the competition (or the yardage).

93.79 % of football stats are bullshit.

7. Montana

Montana Member

They don't count one way or the other, because we'll never know if they'd of been caught or not.....so they aren't counted.

Nah.....it's just most people aren't willing to put in the effort, to properly contextualize them.

8. thegreatwayne80

i saw that too and i think the fact that he stressed "STATISTICALLY" he was trying to say its other reasons, AKA his developing connection with plax and the lack of protection he got until the last couple weeks. Theres been quite a couple deep attempts that also ended it pass interference that obviously werent included in the stats as well that wouldve boosted it.

9. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Thread title is horribly gay.

10. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Let me know when you can predict tight games 66% of the time with a statistical analysis and we'll talk.

11. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It matches the premise of the thread rather well. Gay too.

12. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

We don't really have a "deep threat" Plax is just about to get his legs under him but with his sore back they don't want to over-use him.

13. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I could give a fuck about that, but I don't do fantasy football, madden, etc.

If we throw a deep ball and get a flag and the yards and the first and goal, I'm all good. As I'm sure the coaches and players are.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

It has more to do with the recievers we have. We dont have a deep threat. Instead we have a HUGE redzone threat.

Remember we were one of the worst redzone teams? I think that might have changed.

15. Montana

Montana Member

I think he stressed statistically so that he wouldn't have people jumping down his throat, thinking he was trying to say he had anything in common with Beck, other than the statistics.

16. Montana

Montana Member

That has nothing to do with the caliber of the ball thrown....as we saw recently, when we were able to get a flag on a ball that sailed over both the receiver and DB by a good 10-15 yards.

Flags are great for field position, for the team, and for changing the outcome of the game........but they're worthless when it comes to analysis of the one throwing the ball.....which is the discussion point of the thread.

17. Montana

Montana Member

I think it could be an issue with a number of things, the receivers, the play calls, and potentially Mark.

...because these numbers aren't just bad, they're atrocious. We (Rex/Schotty/Mark/Moore/WR's etc...need to address it, and work on it, asap)

Be nice if we could fix one, without hindering the other.

..even with Braylon gone, we still shouldn't be seeing numbers as bad as these.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's been unlucky this year on deep balls. The Mangold hold on his strike to Holmes against SD is one that came back. He's also had a lot of defensive pass interference on deep throws. It's been a once or twice a game thing at this point since the Jet's protection solidified enough for them to throw deeper routes.

It's hard to say what his deep throwing ability really is at this point. He was good from 21-30 last year when he had Braylon Edwards to stretch the field. He was awful from 21-30 in 2009 but decent from 31+ with a fair number of throws.

Until the Jets let him settle in with his receivers we're just not going to know where the strengths and weaknesses are. This throwing out the WR's and starting new thing that Tannenbaum apparently thinks is good to do with a young QB really is not that smart a move. It may work out in the end if Kerley is the stable slot guy and the Jets find a good match opposite Holmes but right now it's painful as hell watching Sanchez throw one place while his receivers are going another.

19. JetsBigD

JetsBigD Member

It's definitely our wrs - think kerley has down field potential?

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

when did those 3 picks occur? I think that's important to know