A nice stat for Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Nov 7, 2011.

1. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

The int was bad but the overall play was not!

Stop nit picking... How many sacks did or defense have yesterday? Did Nick Folk miss a fg?
    Did Greene score a td?

Cmon man... Sanchez completion percentage was good, threw the ball well in buffalo, he got burress holmes and keller involved.

AND Schotty called a good game.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

In regards to the Sanchez INT.

Food for thought...Most INTs thrown are a product of a bad decision and/or throw. I guess Sanchez just does it worse than everyone else...

:rolleyes:

3. LWC611

LWC611 Member

This is true, and;

Fair enough.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I wouldn't use Favre as a good example, how many seasons did he throw away by being reckless and never learning when to be careful? Yes, he won a ring with Green Bay early on when they had a great team, there were the other 21 years of his career, too, a bunch of times they had a chance and he threw boneheaded picks to ruin it.

Not to come off as anti-Sanchez, I think he's a winner and is going to be better. I just dispute the idea that bad decisions and red zone picks are who he is and can't be corrected.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The silver lining...that drive (before the int) was a thing of beauty. Sanchez was sharp and the playcalls were nice. Hopefully we see much more of this in the second half of the season.

I'm giving Sanchez a mulligan :)smile:) on this...

6. 624

624 Banned

He threw an interception like every other QB in the league does.

Sanchez was flawless in the 2nd half, and has been very good this entire season other than most of the Colin Baxter experiment... People continuously bitching about him need to open their eyes around the league and become more realistic.

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I say its in who he is to some degree because I think you can see him get on a roll, get pumped, and start to think he's superman. Then he makes a bad decision or a bad throw and usually comes back down a little. Its a normal progression for a QB who loves playing and gets pumped....like Favre always did....like Drew Brees does. Those QBs are prone to doing this every once in a while. It doesn't mean they suck. Sanchez is one of those types.....and that's a GOOD thing.

That said, of course you can correct that stuff, but if you get too careful you turn into Chad Pennington. Sanchez will never be that.....and we don't want him to be either....

....just sayin....

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Most fans just watch the Jets and let the highlights inform them about other teams.

9. Italian Seafood

I agree with this, I'm not saying he can never throw picks in the red zone or he sucks, they're just a little too often for my liking. Pennington is an extreme case, I used the example because we all saw him play, he played to his strengths and didn't try to force throw he knew he couldn't make. Sanchez threw that pick on 2nd & goal on the opening drive, there's a time and place to force it in, that wasn't it.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't forget they also show the lowlights...yes, Rivers...I'm talking about you.

Another thought...Sanchez didn't let his fuck up affect his play after. Good sign.
    He also seemed to get into his groove right from the start...something I haven't seen till the Bills game yesterday. Very positive. The kid's got gumption...

The team play has really given me new hope that this year won't be "wasted"...we're right in the thick of it, and if we can beat up on the Pats next Sunday nite...well hell...we may have something.

Goddamn...I love my NY Jets.

#50 Acad23, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  11. Italian Seafood

This is what I like most about him. Winning playoff games on the road is not trivial, that's why it hasn't been done very often in our history. To handle New York, to handle big games, you saw it again yesterday--we've been there, he's been there, Buffalo has not. That's something you can't teach and he has it, to pull it down in the red zone on 2nd down, that can be taught.

12. Montana

Montana Member

If Plaxico had of been (rightfully?) granted that TD in the second half, Sanchez would of finished the day with a QB rating of 104.7

just sayin

13. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

14. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

sanchez is great, never gives up

15. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

I think a big thing about the Sanchez criticism is that it seems like (besides the playoffs) most of our nationally televised games Sanchez has bad games. Both Ravens games, this year and last year. Dolphins game last year. Pats 2nd game last year. etc.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What about those other 6 nationally televised games in January?

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

What I meant was if you throw an Int in the opponents end-zone chances are they are going to be taking over close to their own goal line whereas you throw an int close to your own 20 yd line and its probably going to result in a touchdown for the defense.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Possession is possession. The location of Int's mean almost nothing in the overall picture. The timing of Int's however can be huge. And of course the occurrence of Int's is basically random within a range fixed by what the competition allows.

The best starting-caliber QB's average throwing a pick every 60 throws or so. The worst average a pick every 20. Results outside that range cannot be duplicated over the long haul, the lower end for natural reasons and the upper for competitive ones.

One thing that is really important though is the expectation level of the fans. A guy who is seen as an interception machine will draw groans if he throws a single pick in a game, regardless of how often he is actually throwing picks. A guy who is seen as careful with the ball will get a pass on three or four picks in a game if the occurrence of those types of games is rare.

The trick as a fan is to look at all the numbers and maintain perspective. If you see Mark Sanchez as an interception machine then you're going to wind up unhappy when he inevitably throws a pick as will happen in most games. If you see him as a guy who throws about as many picks as the average starting QB you won't.

If you look at how he compares to young third year starting QB's historically you're likely to be very happy.

#58 Br4d, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  19. 624

624 Banned

If only it was that easy for fans to realize..

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not easy to put things in perspective unless you're used to looking at the bigger picture. If you're comparing Mark Sanchez to Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers you're going to find him wanting most of the time.

We can come back in another 4 seasons and compare him to what Rodgers is doing now and we'll probably still find him wanting. We can't make that comparison until then though.

I'm going to be happy with him as long as the Jets keep winning and inside of that his numbers keep improving. If they're losing and the QB play is subpar and there's no reason to think he's improving then I'll be unhappy.

If you look at who actually powered most of the NFL dynasties to their wins you don't find a lot of high-powered QB's in that mix. You find a lot of QB's who excelled at something and put their team over the top once the rest of the team was ready to go there.

The last few years argues that you need a great QB but NFL defenses will adjust to that and then we'll see something else become dominant in the Super Bowl sweepstakes.

It wasn't too long ago that Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Brett Favre had trouble getting to the big show despite being absolutely dominant passers. At the rate we're trending right now you're going to have a half dozen defenses following the Ravens/Jets schemes and that'll make the NFL come back into balance eventually. It's all cyclical.