NFL Rule Question: False Start

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 8, 2011.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I have an NFL Rule question: Can a Quarterback be called for a false start? In other words, must the quarterback be set for a certain amount of time before he receives a snap?

2. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

"Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside."

3. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

yes.
    if the QB bobs too much doing a hard snap count they can be called.
    at least that's how it was a few years ago.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/positionofplayers

JC's post is written here as well.

#3 theBidet, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. HackettSuxTNG

OK, given those two answers, I gotta ask: How the hell does Tom Brady NEVER get called for a false start? Before he takes any snaps, he constantly points to all the linebackers, and barks instructions, then takes the snap within another second. Also, EVERY SINGLE shotgun snap he takes begins with that stupid "I wanna join the Rockettes" leg kick.

How are neither of these a False Start?!!?

5. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

wow
    dude. ok. a QB is allowed to point out the D for the offense's sake. its called leading your offense.

in the shotgun, all QBs... ALL including our own lift their leg. its a signal to the center that their ready to receive the snap. you ever see a shotgun bounce off the QB's face bc they weren't looking? that's what that's about.

the false start is when the QB is under center trying to do a hard count, and moves like he got hte ball.. that's illegal. everything in your post is 100% legal.

essentially, if hte qb takes a step backwards, its a false start.

6. HackettSuxTNG

I completely understand that. But doesn't he have to "reset" before he takes the snap?

Fair enough, but none of the other QB's I have seen look like they are trying out for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

7. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

the nomenclature says :
    "Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside."

so to me that's one of those judgment calls still left int he game. if the ref feels he's doing it to draw the D off, they'll call it. most D's acknowledge that QBs are gonna bark orders, put their team in position and get hte ball off, so they only worry about the part that concerns them, the last part. As such i think refs expect this from QBs too... so its not gonna get called by anyone.

I honestly don't see him doing anything pre-snap worth complaining about.

8. HackettSuxTNG

Check it out this weekend, and get back to me. If you still think so, I will apologize.

9. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

lol nothing to apologize for. its your opinion, you're entitled. my opinion is different is all.

10. 624

624 Banned

....is this a joke?

11. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

You have never seen Peyton Manning play?

12. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

It's not his "opinion", he did a great job explaining the rules.

He is 100% accurate.

13. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I don't really see how a QB in the shotgun could make a false start, faking a pull back under center to lead a linemen into moving would be a false start but in the shotgun, I can't believe anyone's really watching the QB for their cue to start the play.

14. HackettSuxTNG

That's why I asked if the QB could be called for a False Start.

15. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

When Brady (or any QB) is pointing at the linebackers he's identifying the "mike" or middle linebacker. That, in turn, determines protection schemes in zone or man blocking, and also is intended to help receivers read defenses so they know what routes to run.

The leg lift is typically done by the QB of the visiting team while in the shotgun, but it's not illegal. It's part of what may be a silent snap count or a series of signs when the crowd noise from the opposing fans makes it impossible for the other offensive players to hear him.

What Brady does pre-snap is not illegal in the slightest. Keep in mind, he goes to the line with a lot more freedom to call audibles and variations of plays than Sanchez does in NY.

16. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

exactly.
    watch Peyton, dude walks around changing shit all the time. its part of the position. when under center you don't jerk, i've seen that called as recent as last season (don't think i've seen it thus far in this one). It does get called, but its stupid, so its rare.

17. GreenMachine

I think I know what the OP means. On several occasions in the shot gun Brady starts moving to the left before the ball is snapped for a bootleg. It happened a few times in the giants game.

18. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Does anyone else think Brady sounds a bit like nazi in ww2 back there when he is screaming

19. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I do remember that play. I think it was only once, and I remember thinking that it looked kind of awkward and a little off in terms of timing. The Patriots don't run a lot of bootlegs with Brady!

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

So QB's are no longer allowed to scream out fake snap counts?