Fireman Ed to intro Jets-Dolphins on MNF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCKJET, Oct 15, 2011.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He may not have started it, but I honestly don't remember hearing it until the '98 season.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

did you go to games pre-'98?

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Nope. It's just something I don't remember hearing much when watching games as a kid. Not like there was anything to really cheer about in the early-mid 90s.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Correct.
    The 2 fat guys in Klecko jerseys. They'd blow a whistle and throw out candy to get everyone ready..... Then the other side of the stadium would try and compete with the volume, and it would go back and forth....

My uncle's seats were a section or 2 over...... good times :jets:

It's sad now that people don't do a G-damn thing until they show Ed's fave on the monitor. I went to the Favre vs Pats game when Ed wasn't there and it was sad........... I haven't been to the new stadium, but I'm sure it's worse now with the PSL crowd :shit:

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You guys are correct. My dad's friend had seats in the upper deck over the home plate end zone at Shea, took me a few times. I remember the chant being done as far back as 1978--first meaningful game I was ever at vs New England in November. We ended up losing 19-17, same day as Herm's "Miracle at the Meadowlands" vs the Giants, same score in that game, 19-17. Pat Leahy missed a FG that could have won the game for us, kicking towards our end zone.

6. nyjunc

Before I started going to all the games in 1990 I always remembered hearing the chant in the background on Tv although I had no idea what they were saying:grin:

That's has been the worst part, the fans seem to wait for Ed's cue and I appreciate that he gets the crowd going but we should have sustained noise when the opponent has the ball. Too often he's asking a "D-fense" chant.

7. Italian Seafood

It's the culture of sheep our whole society has gravitated to. The year Ed wasn't around they kept putting that stupid chick on the big screen in the pink Coles jersey to try and get the crowd going.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I remember that. I think it was the Farve year when Ed has his back surgery and he wasn't going to games. Much too quiet in the stadium

9. nyjunc

There have been very games throughout all my years of going where the crowd was great from start to finish.

10. Italian Seafood

Yeah, the best way is winning. The first Rex game vs the Pats with the air sirens and eight years of built up hate, that was amazing. Didn't need Ed for that one.

11. Italian Seafood

I think it was. To my last point, we sucked at home that year, beginning with the loss to the Matt Cassel Pats 10-9 or whatever it was.

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I could definitely see him with some chicks foot in his mouth!

As far as Fireman Ed... this guys 15 minutes should be up by now.

Anyone know if he acts as entitled and insufferable as some folks have claimed?

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

+1

fillercheesesteak

14. WesleyWalker

WesleyWalker New Member

Yeah, who made this guy the fucking pope? Enough already...

15. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

i personally am a huge fan of fireman ed, if only because I'm a huge fan of a loud stadium and the jets chant. the key to the jets chant is the SILENCE before the chant that emphasizes just how loud it is. it rattles unexpecting opposing players, or so id like to believe. with the attention on Fireman ed, he is able to get the silence and thus the chant is great.

HOWEVER- as much as a like fireman ed I'm a bigger fan of crowd noise period. the consensus here is that back in the day when the two sides of the stadium would compete the crowd was chaotic. It is also my understanding that most of the people on the board who reminisce about those days or merely have had enough of fireman ed, are season ticket holders. and go to the games.... nobody is stopping you from giving this storied tradition of the competing chants a second chance at life.

SO- bring it back.

How- the juicy part of this is is that fireman ed happens to sit in one end zone. i propose that whoever sits on the opposite side of his end zone answer ed's chant with a chant of their own...well see if he gets the message and responds... and back and forth and back and forth... if it doesn't work the first time. well dammit, try again and again, in fact, don't even wait for fireman ed, just go for it....ya u might be just one person or one group, but stadium culture is one of the masses- get the guys surrounding you into it and watch it grow. whoever has started an asshole/dfense/ lets go____ chant knows this works
    another way to do this could be a viral video campaign. somebody get on youtube- il do it if i have to, explain the phenomenon. post that video here and everybody sends it out to all jets fans and we see what happens..

this issue probably doesn't warrant a post this long, but it so many people are aggravated by fireman ed and dream for the day when met life is the true reincarnation of the sheadays, then what the hell...

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Yeah, way long post.

Though I agree I'm a fan of crowd noise. The air siren SHOULD come back!

17. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

You are correct. Those guys were great. I heard from my cousin who held onto those seats in 318 and he said that Ed started doing the chant and they got pissed off at him for doing it. I have nothing against Ed but these guys did for some reason. The other end zone guy wore a Jet helmet. Reason I know that is I still have the Jets 1985 season in review video called Just The Beginning. They show him in that video.

18. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

abridged version of my post... fireman ed sits in the end zone- theres gotta be someone here with good seats on the other end zone- bring the tradition back....after he goes tonight, rally your side and answer the call. Simple.

19. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

nope, it was 2007 when we sucked monkey dick

20. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

That would be awesome. Hope it gets done.