Derrick Mason traded to Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Every time I have seen plax running a vertical route he is doing some nice acting job for a flag or attempting a ridiculous catch over someone. He doesn't seem to get any separation at all.

Maybe nacho needs to have a little more faith in the height and let him go get a few of those.

2. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

It's not. He's not fast enough.

Even if you're a big guy you've got to be able to move to be a deep threat; remember the QB ususally only has about 2.5 seconds to throw the ball.

3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Why not bring Braylon back after this year? He's still young. He knows the system, and he isn't likely to command a huge deal, after an injury riddled season in San Francisco.

4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

That would be great, but I doubt he'd come back. The front office made no effort to sign him. He saw himself in the same category as holmes and probably still believes he deserves somewhere near the same money.

His ego is too big to ever play for the jets again.

5. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

If you honestly believe that the entire league schedule is dictated around how league management could conspire to slightly help one franchise get a leg up on the entire rest of the league and none of the other team owners have made any noise about it then no facts will dissuade you of that notion.

Enjoy your tinfoil hat.

6. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

You're 100% right. Robert Kraft helped pen that clause into the CBA because he wanted the Jets to escape cap hell.

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

You mean like the contracts for Wilfork, Brady and Mankins?

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Touché.
    I hope I'm eating crow on that thread all season.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I wasn't trying to sound like his blocking was the entirety of the reason. I just believed it would be (and still believe it is) missed.

As for his ability as a receiver, I was one of the people around here constantly disputing the idea that he dropped too many balls. He did a good job. His off-the-field actions hurt him and us.

I don't follow college much, so I don't know about the talent, but is there enough that we can afford to go into rounds 2 or even 3? Because I see the OLine and OLB as well as safety as positions I'd like to target.

It seems like we have too many holes coming. As I said the other day, I fear the window is quickly closing on us.

Aside from conspiracies, you're right. This is another reason I feel like the Jets' window is shutting. Tanny is a genius at fitting everything in now. The problem is that he then has to dump key pieces later to fit it all in, which sends us right back down the slope.

It's the Parcells school of management. Win it immediately, then cut and run. It doesn't always work according to the plan though.

So when Sanchez throws a ball to him 15-20 yards downfield, in his hands, and it bounces right off of them, what's there to understand? Fine, we're not talking 50 yard bombs, but if I were throwing short to midrange passes to my receiver, and he wasn't catching them, why would I trust him to make one further downfield?

That's just it, it would require faith based on nothing more than faith itself. You have to figure he'd want his guys to prove he could trust them at least a little bit before throwing further downfield.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Why not get Welker in the off season?

If nothing else it would drive the price up for the Pats :)

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Good point about the flags. A bunch of times our D got flagged on 3rd and 25 to keep drives alive, no reason not to take a shot with a guy like Plaxico on the field.

#271 Italian Seafood, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The talent at wideout is much deeper than OT and OLB.

I think we can get a WR with #1 potential in the second round. That's how deep this class could be. This team could also end up with a pretty explosive pass rusher in the second round as well - some good players should be available.

However, if it's possible for the Jets to draft Alshon Jeffery or Mike Floyd in the first round, you have to take one of them over an offensive lineman or a pass rusher.

Our depth at wideout will be non existant after this season. We'll only have Payne, Holmes, and Kerley signed to contracts. The area has to improve drastically.

13. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Derrick Mason was a Jet? Who knew.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

If Floyd or Jeffery were to fall to the Jets, they would have to take them. That is, if they get a real offensive coordinator in there. If Shotty is still around, it won't matter because we won't use whatever WR we draft anyway.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I feel like if we drafted a receiver high and Schottenheimer was still the coordinator, he'd have Sanchez force the ball to that player.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

That's true.. I can see lot's of 3rd and 8 situations where Shotty calls a play to force the ball into Michael Floyd for 6 yards.

Then the offense walking off the field as Shotty looks on nodding his head approvingly, very happy with his work.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

We need an OLB that can get to the QB.
    We need a safety that doesn't allow a 73 yard reception to Welker.
    We need an RT and RG to protect our QB
    We need WR depth.

WR should not be a top priority in 2012s draft. We have two starters, just need depth or 2nd WR to compete. This can be done via FA. We need to go pass rush in 1st round, then Safety, OL, OL. or PR, OL, Safety, OL. something likethat.

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

So Sanchez forcing a ball to a rookie WR would be on Schotty. Got it.

19. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Mr. T embarrassing himself saying that he wouldn't have traded Mason if Houston didn't come to them.... That he couldn't say no. Yeah, alright,, that conditional 7th rounder was too good to pass up. Geez.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Well it's probably not a lie. He wouldn't have traded Mason if Houston didn't call.. he would have cut him.