Derrick Mason traded to Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Jets are preparing for the 2012 WR class

Danny Amendola STL WR2 25 3 #51
    Devin Aromashodu MIN WR5 27 5 #100
    Earl Bennett CHI WR4 24 3 #58
    Bernard Berrian MIN WR2 30 7 #103
    Dwayne Bowe KC WR1 27 4 #11
    Deion Branch NE WR2 32 9 #67
    Plaxico Burress NYJ WR2 34 11 #48
    Andre Caldwell CIN WR3 26 3 #113
    Greg Camarillo MIN WR4 29 6
    Marques Colston NO WR1 28 5 #20
    Jerricho Cotchery PIT WR4 29 7 #84
    Patrick Crayton SD WR3 32 7 #114
    Rashied Davis DET WR4 32 9
    Early Doucet ARI WR3 25 3 #89
    Harry Douglas ATL WR3 27 3 #108
    Braylon Edwards SF WR2 28 6 #36
    Pierre Garcon IND WR2 26 3 #32
    Ted Ginn SF WR4 26 4
    Anthony Gonzalez IND 27 4
    Derek Hagan OAK 27 5
    Lavelle Hawkins TEN WR3 25 3 #99
    Domenik Hixon NYG 27 5
    DeSean Jackson PHI WR1 24 3 #10
    Vincent Jackson SD WR1 28 6 #8
    Steve Johnson BUF WR1 25 3 #21
    Brandon Lloyd DEN WR1 30 8 #16
    Mario Manningham NYG WR3 25 3 #23
    Robert Meachem NO WR3 27 4 #41
    Josh Morgan SF WR3 26 3 #69
    Legedu Naanee CAR WR2 28 4 #112
    Jordy Nelson GB WR2 26 3 #61
    Kevin Ogletree DAL WR3 24 2 #81
    Roscoe Parrish BUF 29 6
    Eddie Royal DEN WR2 25 3 #46
    Chaz Schilens OAK WR5 25 3
    Jerome Simpson CIN WR2 25 3 #53
    Mike Sims-Walker STL WR3 26 4 #42
    Matt Slater NE WR5 26 3
    Steve Smith PHI WR4 26 4 #78
    Micheal Spurlock TB 28 5 #119
    Donte' Stallworth WAS 30 9 #124
    Maurice Stovall DET WR5 26 5
    Devin Thomas NYG 24 3
    Jerheme Urban KC WR2 30 8
    Mike Wallace PIT WR1 25 2 #7
    Reggie Wayne IND WR1 32 10 #13
    Eric Weems ATL WR4 26 4
    Wes Welker NE WR1 30 7 #18
    Roy Williams CHI WR2 29 7 #75
    Matt Willis DEN 27 4

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

^I would love to get Braylon back next year.

3. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

It fell apart so quickly, I feel we didn't get a chance to see what he could do here.

I read that two things caused them to trade him.

1. He ran the wrong routes
    2. He talked to the press about the "lack of unity"on the team.

I hope they get a 4th or 5th rounder for him but more likely we get something higher. You never know maybe Houston is desparate with Johnson out a few weeks.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It was reported last night that we got a conditional 7th rounder in return. I'm hoping that can at least turn into a 5th. It's still better than getting nothing when he walks next year.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm sure he'll get a ton of playing time, so we should expect a decent round for the guy.

6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Winning cures all ills.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Me too.

I'm not sure we'll struggle. Kerley played better in one game than Mason did in 4. At worst, we'll see no change I think. At best, we have an actual weapon in the slot.

Or maybe, when the coach and QB come out with full support of the coordinator, the problem is, it's not considered "fact" in the locker room?

He said J-Co, but I firmly believe losing Braylon was the wrong move.

Rex didn't lie at all. Derrik was traded for a draft pick which we will now use in the future, making him part of what we do.

While it appears we have little depth, I have a few ideas.

1) If Kerley is actually a threat (just by knowing the plays better than Mason to start) that could open up Holmes or Burress, or even himself.

2) It could also make life a little easier on Keller who was invisible this week. By extension, that could then open the guy out of the backfield to make catches as well.

3) This is completely speculative, but I expect us to shore up TE. Now is a good time to start adding a blocker to the offense to help out the line. With a (smart) move back to ground and pound, we can go with a shorter passing attack, and that could help open Holmes/Burress down the sidelines. If we can get the running game going it also reopens the play-action, which like Pennington, Sanchez executes very well.

Sometimes addition by subtraction works.

This is key. I actually had a theory Sunday when they said during the game that the entire WR corps went to Rex about Schotty, but only Mason wasn't playing.

I think the "anonymous source" was Mason. Again, this is speculation, but I imagine the events went something like:

• Mason walks into Rex's office to complain about the system he doesn't feel like learning (sound anything like another aged player we had around here under Schotty?)
    • Rex says something to the effect of "Yeah, I've heard the complaints from a few people. It is what it is." (Rex meaning "from the media guys" Mason believing "the other receivers")
    • Mason, believing that the entire unit is anti-Schotty, tells someone in the media everyone has gone to Rex to complain.
    • Rex hears the story and immediately thinks "WTF?! There's only ONE guy who came into my office, so that ain't ANONYMOUS."
    • Rex tells Schotty "Brian, I don't want to see Mason's helmet on his head on Sunday."
    • Tanny starts looking for buyers.

This is a message to everyone to STFU and do their jobs. It's the right message.

BTW: For the Schotty haters, both Rex and Sanchez said the entire team is behind Schotty already this week. Both also pointed out lack of execution as a problem.

I know at least the second part of that is true. He's always tweeting on Mondays about taking his girls to school.

I was vocal about feeling he was more important to re-sign than Holmes. Not that I dislike Holmes, but Edwards was more critical to the offense. It wasn't just him on passing plays. It was his run-blocking, which is sorely missed right now.

8. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Play like a Jet or be on the next jet outa here.

9. Well stated.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Do you expect Rex and Sanchez to bash Schotty publicly?

The night before Mason got traded Rex was quoted saying-
    "Derrick’s going to still be a part of what we do."

Schotty's contract ends at the end of the year if they really were backing him up they'd add at least a year.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The hell with that, get Welker...even if he does shit for the Jets (most likely) he won't be on the Pats anymore getting his 200 yards a game.

12. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

A conditional 7th rounder usually means you get a 7th rounder if conditions are met, and nothing if they aren't.

Getting that much for Mason is remarkable given how crappy he's been this year.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

It's especially good since we had to cut J-Co, at least we got something out of this.

I still we wish we had 22 picks in the first 3 rounds next year like the Pats do though. 7th round is now reserved for friends & family picks. I imagine it they should give Revis a turn at the draft this year.

14. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

Given our money situation these are the only guys out of that entire list that i would be interested in.

And even Meachem and Nelson scare me because their qbs throwing to them were so good.

15. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Nelson just got extended three or four years.

Tanny really does need to pick up another good young wideout, the catch is it usually takes two or three years for wideouts to really get up to speed.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What money situation is that, the one where we still have 9 million unspent this year alone?

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Glad we did this.

1) Sends a message.
    2) Boosts Kerley's stock, which has a ton of upside.
    3) We've fulfilled our Kerry Rhodes quota for the year, where we back someone and then dump him off six hours later.

18. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Part of the reason the Jets have that cap space this year is that Tanny pushed a lot of salaries into next year; they have about $115 million in cap commitments next year (as opposed to about $111 million right now).

Tanny will figure something out I'm sure but that's the issue.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Why do people think that this move will send a message to the other players? What message is that exactly? If you complain, we'll transfer your contract to another team? These players don't give a shit.

20. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I read the text from ESPN this morning about the Mason trade and it was unexpected, but I can’t say it was a total surprise. I think we saw just the tip of the iceberg with the problems from Mason. A 7th rounder is practically useless, but it’s better than nothing. I guess we can go get another Scotty McKnight next year.

Now, I really don’t think the Jets are going to go out and sign a free agent to replace Mason. There’s just nobody out there. I believe Kerley is going to go into the rotation, with Patrick Turner and Logan Payne as our depth, and behind them is the white McKnight.

While I don’t think we’re going to have a veteran sign, the only one I can see as a possibility would be Randy Moss. Rex and Schotty have already said they’ve got a chubby for him, and I think he still wants to play, albeit for a contender (which we’re looking less and less right now). Being on the opposite side of the Patriots might be an incentive too. As much as people bash Schottenheimer’s system, it really hasn’t been too hard for veteran WR’s to pick up midway through the season. Look at the success that Braylon had in 2009 when he came in from Cleveland, and Holmes when he missed the first 4 games last year. All that being said though, I don’t think a veteran WR will get signed, 1-year rentals aren’t the answer any more, but that’s just my opinion.

I think next year we need to take a WR in the first round. We need to bring someone in to the system long term, who can come in fresh and learn the system. Yes, OL is also a huge concern, but I’d rather see us spend money on free agent lineman than to bring in a project. We have too many “projects” on the line as it is.