Namath: Ryan Has Jets Thinking They're Better Than They Are

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Or dancing, even though that's inevitable.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

And I think previous monumental accomplishments, while not making you immune, certainly go a long way with benefit of doubt.

3. Section 227. Row 5

1) He gets way too much credit for winning that game? Yes, the team was great, but he carried that team. He predicted the win in the face of those old-school oddsmakers, then he went out on the field and got it done. I guess no one who was not on the scene at that time can realize what he and that team accomplished.

2) The rest of his caeer was yes, a colossal disappointmeent. In fact, he looked hideous in blue and gold with Rams horns protruding from his helmet. And Californication was a long way from Broadway. The whole thing was surreal.

3) He did fail as a broadcaster and the fairly recent drunken rambling was unnecessary but forgiven by 90% of all Jets fans. But many years had passed between the two and many years have passed sine the Kolber inceident. When can we, the self-mutilating Jets fan, get beyond this Kolber shit?

4) I did not watch Hard Knocks because I deemed it nothing more than another assinine "reality show" on football steriods. I wish we had never participated in that ridiculously distracting nonsense to begin with. So, very sorry but I did not witness the embarrassment you say happened on that show.

5) Who else in Jets World even brought us close to sniffing the VLT? SNIFFING IT. Vinnie? Sanchez and Ryan? The bigger queation is, who actually GOT US THERE and WON IT? No fucking body, that's who.

So no, Joe walks on water IMO. Come on guys. He's earned the right to pipe up once in a while.

4. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

What benefit of the doubt? Nothing is in doubt here, it's an opinion. And in my opinion, it's a pretty bone-headed one. No one is saying he's not entitled to have an opinion about the team, but he doesn't need to go all through out the media about how he thinks the team doesn't prepare enough/isn't good enough.

Keep it to yourself, Joe.

Honestly, I think this is just age division right now (as in that's why we have such difference of opinion on the might Joe Namath). So yeah, he won the SB fourty years ago and solidified the AFL, that's great, And I'm not being sarcastic, but that was almost half a century ago. Things have changed, the league has changed and I don't think he's immune to criticism, especially if he's making such an opinion while uninformed. (supposedly according to the Jets FO)

All I know is the Jets use to be the laughing stock of the league and in the last two years, he's entirely turned around how the league looks at us. If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, in my mind, it's Rex. Has he won us anything? No, but he's gotten us pretty damn close.

On the flip side, maybe it'll give our guys some bulletin board material albeit against one of their own.

Edited.

#244 NYDeadEye, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Don't laugh at that. Don't you laugh at that.

Not only would Brady have run through defenses like Michael Vick, but he also would have been a top shelf defensive back. He would have been one of the greatest two-way players ever.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Maybe Namath purposely wanted it to be bulletin board material. Ever consider that?

We didn't exactly looked like SB caliber in the Dallas game or the Oakland game.

7. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Yes I have considered that.

But come on..he purposely sacrificed himself as to motivate the Jets? He doesn't seem like the type.

And I'm not saying we did look like a SB caliber team, but It's week 3 and it's way too early for Namath to start damning Rex.

8. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

###
    Joe is (mistakely?) recognized as the Jets' #1 player of all time and all, but I digress... in any event, he could use a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up. One loss (albeit a very disappointing one) and he starts dissing Rex and Sanchez. WTF?! He could have rallied the troops and Jet fans rather than pouring gas on the fire. A different generation of athlete, etc., Joe, requires a different tact. :jets:

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he didn't carry that team, he was a great player at the time but that team had immense talent on offense and a GREAT defense. Watch the America's Game documentary on the SB III team and guys made it sound like he was holding them back until '68.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets haven't been the laughing stock of the league since 1997 when Parcells took over. They also haven't won a SB since we have become a team to be taken seriously.

Rex has done a good job turning the Jets from a finesse team to a tough team that can compete at the end of the year. The reality is in 3 games this team has looked soft in 2 of them. Maybe its time for Rex to put away the pom poms and kick a little ass?

11. Section 227. Row 5

This is spot on, the boldened part. We were dink and dunk for so long, nobody took us seriously until Rex came along. And he certainly has changed the face of this team immensely. No one else did it... certainly not Mangini or Edwards (although they both talked a different tune), but Ryan is the one who has actually transformed the team into more of a smash-mouth, "we''ll kick your ass" team. So I love Rex for that.

I'd just rather that we go out and do that on a consistent basis and talk a little less about going out and doing it.

12. Section 227. Row 5

He certainly did carry them motivationally and emotionally going into that SB game. He was the undisputed leader going into it. And the team rallied around his prediction because he stuck his neck out so and made them believe they could actually do it despite what everyone else was saying.

But we can debate that point 'til the cows come home and never reach a conclusion unfortunately.

13. nyjunc

Being a leader and carrying the team are 2 different things. They have all said Weeb had the team overconfident heading into that game so I'd also credit Weeb.

That's what MBs are for, we all have our opinions and we can share them here.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't get this kind of back and forth. junc is always wrong, but beyond that I don't think he has ever acknowledged someone else making a point countering his own. He doesn't come here to debate, to exchange ideas. He starts out with a position that for all its worth probaby came out of his hiney hole, and sticks to it no matter what holes are put in his position.

This argument is a perfect example. He starts out with a homeristic objection to the scandalous thought that a former player might not be 100% on board with Jet Homer Party Line. He then somehow sees back through history, without any basis other than his agenda and prejudice, to trash the accomplishments of that Jet player.

And the worst part is when, as you are attempting, he his shown up to be full of crap, he just keeps on going, ignoring everything you say.

He is best ignored. I merely add this since we were having much more fun with Eastwood quotes, and I hate to see you wasting your time.

Pale Rider?

15. nyjunc

I love when gutless posters who know absolutely nothing about this game take shots at me while they have me on ignore. Stop being gutless by taking me off ignore and debating me OR stop talking about me. Is there anything more gutless on a MB than putting someone on ignore b/c you are afraid to debate them?

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I don't agree with junc's approach to discussion on this board either. But in this case, I agree with his take on Namath. He needs to stop embarrassing himself and the franchise.....you obviously don't agree with that, and you're entitled to that opinion.

But don't purposely hijack the thread because you can't deal with junc...that's weak.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

spot on, junc.

The ignore button should be renamed to the "can't hang" button.

18. nyjunc

I like that:up:

19. Section 227. Row 5

Heh-heh... you two guys are fucking hilarious. But let's all agree on the above, shall we?

What's your all-time favorite Eastwod movie? Mine was Dirty Harry until Gran Torino came along. And don't tell me Bridges Over Madison County or you'll be laughed off the board for being a pussy.

20. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

While we're playing 'suggestion box', I suggest we have a thread called 'Mean Bad People That Say Mean Bad Things About the Jets'.

There were at least three threads this week that could have been merged into the same topic this week.

People act shocked whenever anyone in the media (or the NFL) criticizes the Jets. As if it doesn't happen every single G-D day, every G-D season.