Year 3 and Sanchez is still making dumb decisions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Sep 25, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Clearly you've never seen sanchez play as a Jet.

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

BET, I believe you just negated your argument w/that line.

The fact that teams already know what routes are going to be run is 100% on Shotty.
    The fact that he uses the same 3 route patterns for most of the game is 100% on Shotty.

I am not talking about just one game here, I am talking about his tenure as our OC.

The JETS are most effective (just like any other team) when we are unpredictable....
    i.e. Shonn Greene on a sweep. Cumberland Lined up @ WR etc...

Just look @ the playoffs when we ran counters and traps for big gains, kept and xtra blocker in for max protect vs blitzes.... Simple parts of gameplanning that he always seems to overlook.

Want the bootleg to be effective? USE ON HANDOFFS ALSO.
    Shotty has a tendency to use the same "deception" over and over.

How about a screen on 1st down?
    How about a TE screen w/Keller?
    How about trying to get a 1st down on 1st or 2nd down?
    How aout calling for a 9 yard play on 3rd & 4 instead of a 2 yd out?
    Simple variables make a big difference.

***ftr Please, can we stop with the "has no clue".... Everyone has a different opinion on who to blame or not blame. If someone has a different take that's all it is.***

3. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

No excuses; solutions please! He holds the ball too long! He stares at his receiver! He still makes poor decisions! Talented ? YES, very! An elite QB? Not at this time!

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the problem i have with MS is that he has the potential to turn a basic NFL pass play into a cluster fuk a bit too often for my nerves.

the 10 yard slant, 12 yard out, quick screen - these are bread and butter throws that he is way too inconsistent on.

its very hard for the offense to get in a rhythm.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Add in he holds the ball too long too often, can't seem to get his wideouts in the game near enough, and still makes too many mental errors for a third year starting Qb and you come pretty close to the list of problems with him.

Add in that he STILL does not baseball slide when he takes off, and we're almost there.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

He slides when he isn't trying to score a td or get a first on third down.

7. S-I-X

S-I-X Member

People are still focusing on just that one INT? I for one hate his game flow week in and week out, it's horrendous. His inaccuracy like throwing behind receivers in crucial situation or on 3rd and 5. Outside of 2:00, it's painful to watch.

8. WesleyWalker

WesleyWalker New Member

It looked like he had gotten past those types of things last season and I was hoping to see even more maturity but have been very disappointed after the first 3 games. He looks more like the guy we saw in his rookie season than we saw of the guy who didn't throw ANY picks until week 6 last year.

I think he will tighten things up going forward but it does not make it any less of a problem heading into these next two games on the road.

9. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Actually it needed to be a bit higher and further back in the end zone. If it was where it "needed" to be then it wouldn't have been intercepted.

Also, Mason looks pretty damn covered in that video. I'd hate to break it to you, but a DB jumping in the air to make a catch isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Favre at least had the excuse that there was only 19 seconds on the clock when he started the play, and given the game situation he was around the point in the game where he had to throw the ball.

Whereas for Sanchez the game situation was one where he shouldn't make a risky throw. This isn't hard to understand.

[youtube]smhiIIekc8g[/youtube]

#229 Organized Chaos, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He needs to slide ALL the time and not take off for the goal line when he's going to get hit by 3 people as a result if he does not slide.

I'm a big fan of Sanchez but if he keeps making the decisions he's making while scrambling he's going to have a short career.

11. theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE New Member

While I know this point has probably been repeated ad nauseaum in this thread, it's important to note that most QBs don't truly show the trajectory the rest of their career will take until years 4-6. The first three years are always the developmental years, while 4-6 is their growth phase.

Think of it as rearing a child...except that child has an arm that could be considered a lethal weapon, along with a bank account larger than what most people could ever hope to see. So yes, your child is wealthier than you. (Dammit...)

12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Matty Mulligan should have caught that 3rd and 2 pass in the end zone.

And if he can't catch, let him stay in and block.

13. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Well, the Mulligan comment is dead on for sure.....
    ....So is the fact that the INT throw was a)a bone head decision - he should have thrown it away, and b) was either short or to the wrong receiver anyway.

I think there is a merging of issues at play though. Shotty's offensive scheme seems to bunch the receivers up and makes it easier on the opponent's defense. It also seems that all receivers, no matter how talented, have a tough time getting open in it. I think this is the primary issue with Sanchez holding the ball too long. I also think it is what is making him feel that he needs to force it, because play after play no one is open.

Shotty's play calling is predictable as hell at times - as we all know.

The previously rock solid Oline has looked more like a Division 3 Oline lately.

Finally, there is the apparent tendency to throw behind his receivers on certain routes...especially Plax.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When we start using the deep middle as an option it will become easier for people to get open. Avoiding that area of the field and clustering receivers often makes us pretty easy to pass defend against.

The thing that really amazes me about Sanchez performance over his first three seasons is how rarely he throws a pick when he has a receiver isolated on a defender. The other thing that is kind of amazing is how rarely he throws the ball to a receiver isolated on a defender.

The schemes the Jets use, for better or worse, prominently feature clusters of receivers with a short option and a couple of mid-range options in a narrow zone on the field. We've seen this over and over again since 2009.

The only receiver the Jets have had over the last few seasons who was good at getting one on one coverage was Braylon Edwards. He was also the only receiver that Brian Schottenheimer routinely isolated on one side of the field with the expectation that Sanchez would throw that way.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

So sick of the Sanchez haters, the exact reason I've stayed away. He's beaten every game this year and yet is still putting up good numbers. For 2 years he was barely touched, now he's gotten a near concussion, gash on his face, bruised elbow, and a broken nose.

Is the media bashing Rivers?? Rivers has thrown less TDs and more INTs then our man the Sanchize but no one complains about him. Speaking of Rivers, looked what happened to him and Brees when they got out from under Schotty's retarded thumb.

Has Mark made some dumb throws, sure. Are there obvious chemistry/timing issues with his receivers, hell yes.

IMO our team is now built to come out passing, establish a good lead, force the other team to pass, and at that point we can run to burn clock. We have all the weapons needed on offense, and obviously our secondary is good so I don't get why Rex doesn't see this.

Anyway, my main point is at the top. Sanchez has the skills to be elite and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'm sick of the Schotty Haters who blame him for all of Sanchez's shortcomings. While I am tempted to stay away, I keep coming back so that I can have fellow Jet fans who happen to disagree with me say nasty things about me like your last sentence. It makes me laugh.

17. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Holmes agrees with the Schotty haters and he plays in the NFL and has been a Super Bowl MVP. Is he wrong too?

Fact is, Schotty is terrible and his track record with QB's speaks for itself.

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Nasty about you?
    That was a general statement, if you feel it's directed only at you so be it.

Schotty is horrible for QBs, for any QB. If what Rex said before the year started is true, wanting to a 3 WR set to be our standard formation I can only point to one person as to why we're not.

First drive of the Raiders game Sanchez is rolling, Raiders are on their heels:
    15 yard pass to Plax, first down
    25 yard pass to Keller, first down to Oakland 40

So just like that we gain 40 yards, and Schotty pulls up, we run the ball, lose a yard and the rhythm is gone. Might not seem like a lot, but it's the little shit like that where I go nuts.

We should've been no huddle pass all the way down until they stop us.

19. NYJ90

NYJ90 Member

Schotty's routes are predictable (and it doesn't help that our receivers get ZERO separation). And all this pre-snap motions are retarded. If you have to try and fool a team by moving players around, you don't have a good offense. There was a reason Miami pulled out the Wildcat a few years ago, it was because their offense was not good enough to just play the game. I'm tired of our wildcat, it fools nobody, and disrupts the flow of the offense. Schottenheimer has been complained about for years, he's had different players throughout his tenure here and has consistently done little to nothing with the offense. I just hope next year there is a change, and even if the offense struggles learning a new playbook, it will be just as productive as our offense is now... and just as reliant on the defense as ever. We have a top defense, it wouldn't hurt to take risks here or there, or attempting passes more than 5 yards.

20. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

You act like all this criticism of Schottenheimer is unwarranted, but the results speak for themselves. Look at his time in San Diego until now, he has not been getting the performances he should out of his QB's. Are you going to blame every QB that has been in his system or are you going to start placing the blame on him?

Quite frankly the guy needs to learn how to adjust on the fly and most importantly not be predictable WHILE implenting gameplans that are effective. He does it maybe once or twice a year and everyone gets off of his back. He needs to be calling good games EVERY game. I want to get passed the AFC Championship Game this year, but if Schottenheimer can't get his shit straight then the chances decrease.