If the Jets were New England...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Sep 12, 2011.

1. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Everyone would be talking about:

#1 - How gutsy Sanchez was last night despite getting repeatedly blitzed and pounded.
    #2 - How guys like Leonhard and Ferguson didn't give up on plays they could have easily dogged it on.
    #3 - How an opportunistic defense made two key turnovers happen.
    #4 - How special teams provided 10 "hidden" points that don't show up on the sexy fantasy football stat line.

After reading this board and others, I sometimes scratch my head in confusion. I think everyone would agree that the Jets did not play their best tonight. However, there were a lot of teams that did not play their best yesterday. With the off-season, OTAs, FA signings and training camp packed into 45 days, I am not sure why any of this would be a suprise.

The Jets played in an emotionally charged game for both them and the fans on national TV. Throw in the repeated delays due to special presentations/halftime/extra long tv timeouts and it is no wonder they were out of sorts. Plus they played a team that matched up very well against them - two very good WRs, an All-pro TE and speedy RB + a very very good defensive front 7. Throw in that Rob Ryan knows his brother better than anyone on the planet and a close game isn't that much of a suprise.

Additionally, the fact of the matter is luck generally has very little to do with who wins or loses a football game. You can't claim in one breath that it was luck for Romo to throw a pick and fumble, and in another that Sanchez sucks because he threw a pick and fumbled. There were multiple plays throughout the game that could have easily gone the Jets way (see the two plays that Cro should have made) or the Cowboys way. Throughout a game those things generally even out in the wash. The big difference maker is when those mistakes are made and whether or not they are capitalized upon by the team. Last night both teams made mistakes, but the Cowboys made theirs at the worst possible time and the Jets made them pay.

The biggest difference is perception. The Jets played hard, despite not playing their best, for 60 minutes in all three facets and won the game. They won because they capitalized on costly mistakes and overcame early adversity. When the Patriots do it, all we hear about is the genius of Bill Belichicken or the "Patriot way." When the Jets do it, it is all about luck. Winning games like the Jets did last night is the difference between a 8-8 team and team that can go 12-4. Appreciating that difference before starting a new thread that "XXXX player sucks" or "XXXXX is a bust" or "XXXXX should have made that catch" may keep some of the insanity down to a low roar.

2. John127

John127 New Member

While there are a lot of things I'm unhappy about regarding last night's game, I agree with you 100%!

Over the years, the Patriots have been extremely "lucky" and have had some ridiculous 4th quarters, even in the playoffs and super bowl! With them, it's always, "Good teams find a way...etc."

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, fuck that.

Stop the comparisons...

We beat New England last year.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

For the umpteenth time we will hear that the Jets got lucky. I'm fine with it. Good teams seem to be a hell of a lot luckier than bad teams.

5. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I think he is just saying that the Jets are being called lucky, but when New England wins a game like this, they are lauded with praise about how they are such a well rounded team and their coach is a genius, etc etc.

I somewhat agree, but I don't give a fuck what other people think.

6. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Great post.

When the Jets win the close ones, its always luck. When its another team - they are resilient. That's the fact of being an opposing teams fan.

I think the team played well in all 3 facets of the game considering the off-season. Its was definitely a total team effort.

Considering how MS usually plays, I thought he had a pretty good game last night. His stats were almost the same as Homo cause they each lost a fumble and got an INT, but Mark is getting killed for his play last night. Can't understand why...

7. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

I am not comparing the teams, I am comparing the reaction/perception that surrounds the teams.

8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Agreed. Winning ugly while making mistakes that should have cost you the game against a pretty damn good offense is the difference between the playoffs and 8-8.

This was about as opportunistic of a win as I can remember.

One glaring issue that we had all last year and again is rearing it's head is the opposing tight end. Whitten absolutely torched us last night. Now, he's probably one of the best in the league, but still...it is so frustrating to watch.

I love how Revis shut down bryant right after that sideline catch. THat fucker didn't do shit after that catch!

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Who cares about how other fans and the media see this team? That's the SOJF way of looking at this.

Even if we win, posters like yourself still find something stupid to complain about. Stop worrying about New England until we play them.

When we beat New England again, I don't give a god damn if the media and other idiot fans call it lucky. A win's a win.

10. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

If we were the Patriots, Jets fans would be talking about how the 9/11 fix was in, for we didn't commit a single penalty.

11. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Evidently plenty of people on this message board and everywhere else. You evidently care or you wouldn't have 17,000+ posts.

Not sure why you are jumping on me. I am not complaining and am very happy with the win.

Do everyone a favor and get off the rag or get some advil for your hangover.

#11 klecko73, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  12. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

13. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I thought that was impressive. The Jets did get away with a few (Turner had a minor hold that could have been flagged but it didn't really look egregious), but I think Dallas was lucky to not be flagged more, their O-line was holding all night long, lots of stretch marks on Pace's jersey tonight.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good teams find a way to win.

Heh. Today saying that cliche feels good.

15. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

that win actually reminded me very much of early New England. Signature team win, last man on the roster madea difference, takes all 53 blah blah blah. But we did what good teams do: hang around even when they aren't playing their best. Great win.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's it. Attack the post count like you always do.

I evidently never, ever compare the New England Patriots to the New York Jets.

I'm jumping on this because it's a bullshit reason to complain about something after a huge comeback win. You are definitely complaining: "uhh, if we were the Pats, everyone would like us!!!! uhh, if Joe McKnight was Danny Woodhead, he woulda blocked every Dallas punt!"

I'll do everyone a favor and squash SOJF talk at every opportunity.

This.

17. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

Sanchez in the 1st half sucked, but the man came thru in a big way the second half. I would hardly call last nights win lucky for the Jets, especially after Cromartie got robbed as we all saw he caught that pass in the end zone, not Austin(?)

When teh game needed to be won, Sanchez did it. I thought for sure after the dismal first half, Rex and Co would go back to teh ground and pound running game, but they never did.

Does anyone else look at LT as a hero last night? That man came thru on countless 3rd and longs.

Good win Jets, for real.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Simultaneous possession goes to the offense.

[/false accusations of robbery]

19. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Joe McKnight would be Joe McWhite.

20. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I agree, everyone sucks the Patriots dick.

If we were NE who would be Gronkowski?