The Ghost comments

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Aug 23, 2011.

1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I just finished reading this article on the main page, is this fuckin guy nuts or just stupid.

Vernon Gholston might have been an epic bust for the Jets, but he refuses to take all the blame.

A seriously delusional Gholston doled out some of the fault to coach Rex Ryan and the Jets, too, saying last night he didn't get a fair shot in three wholly unproductive seasons with Gang Green.

Now a backup defensive end trying to hang on with the Bears, Gholston -- he of zero sacks in 48 games as a Jet -- said after a 41-13 preseason loss to the Giants the deck was stacked against him when Ryan took over in 2009.

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way -- I wasn't hoping for him to be [my] first coach of the Jets when I was there, either," said Gholston, a holdover from the Eric Mangini regime.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Gholston, the sixth overall pick out of Ohio State, still feels he didn't get a fair shot with Ryan or his staff despite their sometimes-desperate efforts -- both position switches and psychological ploys -- to get him to produce.

"Being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," said Gholston, who added his release by the Jets last winter was "a needed move."

Gholston indicated his displeasure with Ryan wasn't limited just to a lack of snaps.

A comment the coach made soon after taking over still seems to sting Gholston, whose quiet, sensitive demeanor and lack of intensity have been among the biggest knocks on him as a pro.

"Rex made a comment to me when he first came in that he thought I wasn't liked by the guys on the team, then once he got there he saw that wasn't the case," Gholston said. "Those perceptions kind of determine the outcome, and it's sad to say."

Gholston also accused Ryan of playing favorites with former Ravens such as Bart Scott that the coach brought with him from Baltimore.

"Whenever you have a new coach, you hope everything's fair," Gholston said. "But obviously, he was in Baltimore for a number of years and has a passion for those guys."

Though Gholston is struggling just as mightily with the Bears as he did as a Jet, he isn't worried he is running out of chances in the NFL.

"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," Gholston said. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Jets, it was constant position change and coaching change. There was no stability. I never really had that with the Jets."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets..._opts_to_7ozJ8NvFTe0vbcC1DVCS2H#ixzz1VqRuH7hN

2. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Can I say that would be a poorly written article on a blog nevermind a major newspaper. It reads like it was written by a 15 year old girl on tumblr.

3. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Oh, I didn't know switching coaches and positions once was considered "constant" change.:rofl:

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I don't doubt Rex playing favourites but the guy was here for three years. Couldn't be bothered working for it.

5. Calikid

Calikid New Member

It's the NY Post!

6. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

I had fun watching Gholston put no effort into last nights game. If he got blown up he'd put his arms by his side and get man handled. Good Riddance

7. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

he had every opportunity to succeed here. i don't think there was one person in the organization that didn't want him too either. if he'd turned out like expected our d' would be damn scary.

8. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

I fucking hate Gholston so much. Moreso than any other player in Jets history. Just looking at him or even reading his name makes me angry with an unbridled passion.

He was supposed to be the guy to take us to the next level and he fucking SUCKED. Argh.

9. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Gholston is in the denial stage of his grief. The depression will come after the Bears cut him and he'll reach acceptance when he realizes he got paid millions of dollars for doing nothing and gets to retire before the age of 30.

10. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

him and jamarcus russel should hang out

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well he can say anything at this point his bank account is bigger than ours.

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

lol

this aint college, if they dont want you, and you suck, youre not getting moved to a different spot and getting snaps on top of it... he sucked...

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Um, coaches always bring their own guys in from their previous team, they know those guys and trust them.

But is Gholston also seriously suggesting that Rex played Bart more than him? They play 2 different positions, and Bart was/is a defensive leader who is well respected not only in our locker room, but around the league.

In addition the "fair" comment is bullshit. How many kids are taught "life isnt fair" when they are 10 years old? Hell JV sports aren't fair, there is no longer equal PT for everybody. By the time you get to the pros, nothing is fair, the deck is stacked against every player who is undrafted. I am willing to bet that we cut 2-3 UDFA's who never got a real shot in camp/preseason who were as good, or better than VG. He was given every shot here, he was given an inordinate amount of reps that we could have used to help develop guys who had a real shot to help our team. Fuckin VG.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Gholston should be doin' stand-up at the local comedy club. He's a natural.

15. WillBBC

WillBBC Member

He was given opportunities and he blew them. He finally recorded a sack in a preseason game last year (Giants maybe?) and wound up taking a 15 yard penalty instead. Physical specimen blah blah blah, he couldn't get it done.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I see now. Vernon Gholston wasn't given a fair shot. I always wondered what happened to him. Maybe the CS didn't know that he's a project player.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The Ghost had two choices:

A) It wasn't my fault,

or B) I suck.

He choose A.

18. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

I would love to hear Bart chime in on this

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Gholston doesn't suck at football, he doesn't care!!! If he tried and sucked, I would have no issue..he doesn't give a shit.

Gholtson has a major flaw...no passion. Lacks a love for the game and has no desire to be a great player. VG has all the physical ability to be a great football player, but doesn't want to put forth the effort to be a NFL Player.

At OSU, Gholston was the black sheep of the team, he didn't hang out with players, didn't put in extra effort at practice. The writing ws on the wall Gholston was selfish, I don't care about football player, not many listened.

Things came easier at the College level, playing against weaker opponents and only having one straight ahead bull rush. He hid behing smoke and mirrors at College with his physivcal ability. The NFL requires a player to study and work at the game and put forth an effort.

I was one of the first to say long before Gholston was drafted..."Gholston won't be successful cause he has no heart". He couldn't transition to OLB, not because of his phyical abilitity, cause he has no passion to work on his game and do what it takes to be the best.

The most important attribute any player posses what's going on in their head and Gholston flat out doesn't have a "football players' mindset".

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Everybody's always so quick to call a player a bust! Did you guys want this player to be a bust? You obviously did or you wouldn't have been so quick to point out his complete lack of sacks, like, ever. And his lack of heart. And his lack of technique. And his lack of testicles.

You guys, calling him a bust, that just means you wanted him to fail. It doesn't mean that you were perceptive enough as fans to see that this guy was a complete waste of a roster spot and cap space.

Impatient Jets fans. Tsk.