Guys who looked good on Offense -- Week 2 vs Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Joe Namath, On twitter last night 'Gotta Love seeing wet Cheerleaders'

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Gotta love that man.

3. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Kerley has gotten a lot of pre-season hype, but we can't expect him to be an all-pro wr from the get go. Learn to limit your expectations guys. Just like Wilson last year, Kerley is gonna have to get used to the game speed, learn how to adjust and bring your game up that extra notch to the NFL level. We all see he's got the potential to be a dangerous NFL player.

He was a fifth round pick, if all he does this season is be a productive, smart kick returner/pick return man and doesn't do to stupid when doing so while having about 15-25 receptions I'll be happy. All I'm saying is we can't expect him to be a Devone Bess type player right off the bat which is exactly what I think he can be.

As far as the other guys tonight I really can't comment because where I live the game wasn't televised. I just caught highlights so I have to wait til Tuesday when the NFL Network airs it. :(

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

He dropped a short pass from McElroy and mishandled a punt early in the 4th quarter.
    He did not have a particularly good game. The rain, hopefully.

5. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

I thought Drew Willy put the team on his back.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Just talked to Joe, and he asked me to relay this message:

You're welcome. Totally did that just for you, Mick. Now please stop jerking off outside my window. My maid's running out of Windex.

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad you finally came around on McKnight. It was pretty brutal last year when Mr. E and I had to fight off the trolls all by ourselves.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Bilal Powell did not look crisp last night. At all. He had one solid run, which it seems you're grabbing on to and ignoring the rest of his game.

8. ........

........ Trolls

The Ravens and Steelers regularly work on and implement laterals into their returns on defense. I'd hope the fact that Smith tossed that off means our defense has worked on it as well. I wouldn't want him making that decision completely on the fly in a RS game.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure why people are upset at the possibility of tossing Jennings on the PS and having him snatched up. He's slow and more than once dropped like a rock at first contact. He can get away with the broken tackles of a 3rd string defense, but he'd be completely ineffective on a real NFL playing field.

10. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

It's only preseason, he's playing against 2's and 3's I know, but I have to eat crow. I was so against McElroy, even for as late as we picked him. But the kid has looked very smart and tough out there. I was going to jokingly start a MCELROY>SANCHEZ thread, but was afraid it would bring out the nuts.

That said, I'm very impressed with the kid, and excited to see how he develops. I wonder if we'll be keeping him as a backup for long, or if someone will see his starter potential and poach him when his contract is up.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I wouldn't put too much stock in what happened yesterday in the run game.

We were missing arguably our best run blocker in Moore, of course, but when I re-watched some of the first half it looked like there were 2 issues (in addition to the shitty field conditions and LT slipping a lot). First, the runs they were doing seemed verrrrry vanilla and straight forward. They didn't appear to be doing some of the more "complex" run plays that have become a staple of the offense.. plays with pulling, misdirection, etc. The runs seemed very basic and telegraphed.

The second thing was the Bengals were pretty much stacking the line and bringing 6 or 7 men pretty often, so not only were they pressuring Sanchez but they were utilizing run blitzes to stuff the run game. My only complaint is I would have liked to see them try McKnight a few plays with the first offense and see if it created any spark, but no big deal.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm not sure anyone's upset by it, I, speaking for myself, know he's not going to make the 53, but he broke tackles on the long play and the play on 1st down when he picked up about 6 or 7. When you have 4 good options at RB, having to put a guy like this down on the PS is a no-brainer. It was nice to see him perform, regardless.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

It's damn near impossible to put too much stock in the O-line in the preseason, especially when there are injuries and rust. I'm not worried, at all.

14. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Can't remember if I read it in the Rex Ryan book or some article online but Rex said that having a trailer after a int or a fumble is something he always practiced with his defenses in Baltimore and that he works on in to this day with the Jets at practice.

I'll try to find it again, if it's online. He said that they do drills where they simulate a turnover and have a guy trailing a couple yards behind and little bit to the left or right of them so they always know there is someone behind them to pitch the ball back too to gain those extra yards.

As soon as I saw Eric Smith do it yesterday I knew that came directly from what they practice. Don't even remember the last time we threw a lateral out on a play. I liked it and just shows you exactly what Rex brings to this team.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Jennings played 9 games for the Browns in 09, would he be eligible for the practice squad?

Not that it really matters.. I don't think it would be a big loss at all to lose him. I think a lot of Jets fans feel snake bitten after the Woodhead situation and they think every player the Jets let go of will be snatched up and become a stud. Ahh, the life of a Jets fan..

As far as the offense goes, through 2 games there is a lot to like.

1. Sanchez has looked sharp for the most part, and McElroy definitely looks like he is going to make a good long-term backup for the team. He's what you look for for that spot.. he's smart, he knows what he's doing out there, and he makes good decisions.

2. Obviously, Plaxico looked great. With more time working with Sanchez, they'll look even better.

3. Nice to see McKnight bounce back and play well.. he is going to be a major contributor for the team this year. Hard to believe since he had the audacity to throw up at his first practice of his rookie year! Maybe it's a good thing Rex didn't just cut him on the spot afterall, huh?

4. Really like what we've seen from Cumberland and Keller. Tom Moore working with the TE's was one of the most encouraging things I read from training camp. Hopefully next week we see a few plays with them both in at the same time.. unless they're saving that wrinkle for the regular season.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Really? I thought it was fewer. 9 games is the cut off. I'm assuming the rules haven't changed with the new CBA.

17. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

1. Plax looked good. He looked even more physical than he did with the Giants. He shoved a few db's out of the way on some routes like were tryna steal his commissary. Im glad he got off too a good start. When he interviewed with Rachel Nichols befroe the game, you could see in his face he was glad everything else was behind him.

2. Sanchez looked pretty good. That dude throws a nice fade! My boy, who hates the Jets, texted me..."I can't front...that fade was pretty."

3. Cumberland!!! Really should be #1 for me. He's impressed me the most out of any Jets player. I'll take him as a starter any day. I know he's been an inconsistent blocker but I'd live with that for the time being. That dude is impressive! If we start running two TE sets regularly...watch out!

18. ........

........ Trolls

Don't worry, I don't think anyone would make the case that inconsistent blocking is a reason to prefer Keller to Cumberland.

19. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Maybe my sentence was worded correctly. I'm not saying I prefer him over Keller. I'm saying he should be getting 1st team reps WITH Keller. (Two TE sets) I think he's shown that he's better than Mulligan. I don't think Mulligan is that great of a blocker to where you can suppress this dude's talent.

20. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

funny, i was thinking the samething.