Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I supported Cotchery while he was here...he made some great plays for us. But the bottom line is, he CHOSE to leave and the Jets granted his request.

I'm not going to sugarcoat anything. IMO, he looks like a retard for taking a lesser role with the Steelers, and as a result, he's trying to justify his decision to the media by saying he didn't fit in with the Jets.

Enjoy irrelevancy with another team, Jerricho. :rolleyes:

2. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

He didn't have to make a slight against the Jets. It comes off as a passive aggresive jab at the team and locker room. I mean, I appreciate everything the guy did here, but he really came off as butthurt. I don't hate the guy, I just think he's kind of a baby for whining.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

What else was he going to do, the Jets got BETTER receivers to play over him. He would have really been selfish to complain about it then. Shoot, it's not like he fell into a starting role elsewhere after he left us.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He could have not been a team guy and cried about it. How did you not see that coming?

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Cotchery is going to be in for a rude awakening when he is going to be asked questions about James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley lashing out open threats to break Joe Flacco in half and that Roger Goodell is a clown as commissioner.

The Steelers are on the same level as the Jets in brashness if not worse.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I've seen "passive agressive" and "slighted" by some posters.

Stop.

He's not saying, "The Steelers take care of their guys. The Jets don't. They suck with franchise-player relationships."

He's just saying, "This organization does a great job with their players. The atmosphere is great."

All he said about the Jets is, "I'm not happy here because my goals and personal comfort isn't meshing here." And like ukilledkenny said, he didn't say a fucking word the entire time until this season. He's a true professional and should be remembered that way.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He won't comment on it.

8. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I am not saying he will or won't but he is going to be in for an awakening to come and realize that Pittsburgh is about as rowdy as the Jets are and that Tomlin can be about as vocal of a coach as Ryan.

9. Jet Zero

Jet Zero New Member

I agree with this. He was one of my favorites while he was here, and I felt he was a good player when we needed him to be. I wish him well (minus the times we play against him of course ;) )

10. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

stop what? part of cotchery's exit statement-

"I've been here a long time and I've seen a lot of things," he said. "I thought Chad Pennington would be a Jet forever, but one night in the preseason, he's gone in the hotel"

does that not sound like a passive aggressive jab at the jets or not!? doesn't make sense either cause he was asking to get out & nobody in the organization could talk him out of it. as far as him feeling disrespected that sounds petty when the guys ahead of you are both pro bowlers & a former super bowl mvp. must be really disrespectful then backing up wallace, ward, & sanders over in pitt. the whole thing is like i said, petty. the jets treated him just fine while he sounds bitter. nobody needs to bash the guy but also nobody owes him anything. the way it played out at the end most definitely is subjective & open towards criticism.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

wow, some of you are making way too big a deal of this......

A player that wanted more playing time, and over-valued his personal stock. Definitely not the 1st time this has happenned. He was a good player for the JETS that kept his nose clean during his tenure here, so I don't see why anyone would have anything bad to say about him.

Who knows what was going on behind the scenes.

He overplayed his hand..... and lost. So much for getting good advice from his agent. (he'd be a starter for JAX right now)

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, it SOUNDS that way. Because you're basing the whole thing on an out of context quote without knowing what went on behind the scenes for the past year or 2, aside from that 10 second sound bite. You say the Jets treated him 'fine'. The Jets are looking out for the Jets, they asked Cotch and a dozen other veterans to take paycuts so they could fit more talent under the cap.

The Jets treated themselves fine, and while I love the team, and dig the hell out of the results from the FO and CS, it's a huge industry and at times the cut throat mentality forces teams to treat quiet, professional hard workers something other than 'fine'. This was one of those cases.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Time to move on, I was pissed at the Jets whe I thought this was their idea but that shifted to Cotch. good luck w/ your career, I hope you never reach a SB and hope you are watching the Jets in Indy in feb.

14. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

getting paid millions of dollars to play football for (6) months out of the year is beyond "fine". your def right on one thing, behind the scenes is something only the jets would know about and not me. movin' on about this for good now haha

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It sounds like he was just using the example of Pennington in the sense that anyone can go. When Cotchery first came around Pennington seemed as untouchable as Sanchez does now, like the old saying if Wayne Gretzky can be traded anyone can. I don't read any more into it than that, just hoping Mason can fill the spot now.

16. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

can't believe this thread is still gettin' play.
    anywho, more sticks to add to the bundle:
    http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...s-chance-to-win-right-now-led-him-to-steelers

time to move on.

17. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Cotchery will always be remembered fondly by me. He was a professional, hard working, team building player. Shit happens. He left, I'm moving on. I don't hate the guy, or even dislike him, or respect him less for leaving.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Which would likely be the case regardless of who his employer was. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Even if your job afforded you a large paycheck and a lot of leisure time you would still be upset over feeling under-appreciated unless you didn't give a shit about your career and just were just in it for the perks.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas
    RT @gerrydulac Jerricho Cotchery's deal w #steelers -- 1 year for vet minimum $810,000. Thats $1 million less he could've earned with NYJ.

WOW, he left 1 million on the table just to get out of here with only Holmes and Burress before him on the depth chart?
    Must've really been pissed about something...

20. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

90% of wideouts are glory boy primadonnas driven by pride and ego.