Could the Patriots cut Ocho Cinco and Haynesworth?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by nixhead, Aug 14, 2011.

1. nixhead

nixhead Banned

Article from ESPN:

Within his "Sunday Blitz" column for National Football Post, a report by Dan Pompei concerning two high-profile acquisitions of the New England Patriots raised a few eyebrows around here.

"Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth might not be long for New England," Pompei reports. "One day before this story came out by my guy Mike Reiss, one NFL executive familiar with the Patriots ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room."

So Belichick is testing both of them, and will not hesitate to pull the proverbial trigger should they not be able to handle the "Patriot Way?" Makes sense. The Foxborough preseason got even more interesting.

- Tim Kavanagh

It would'nt suprise me that one or both of these guys get cut. Just this article alone might unnecessarily stir the pot. Belicheck is a great coach but sometimes he shoots himself in the foot. I hope this is one of those occasions. Add Shaun Ellis to that cut list also. Any of this would'nt suprise me.

2. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Heh, if this happens it'll be interesting to see if ESPN takes back their Patriots SB predictions on account of Haynesworth and Ocho.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Meh wrong board but who cares.. I want the Patriots to keep ochocinco because hes horrible and we constantly make him our bitch. Hell Revis let Cromartie do the dirty work last time and murder 85

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I doubt it. If it's anyone, it'll be Haynesworth, but I still doubt it.
    /in before the move.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

sounds more like conspiracy theory "hey read this!" "article to me.........

6. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Fat Albert, yes; Chad Johnson, no.

The fact of the matter is Fat Albert is useless. He stopped being a professional caliber football player when he cashed that huge check Snyder gave him. He lost his passion, and will never get it back. So, the hooded stooge can cut him and use him to send a message.

As for Chad Johnson, he wont cut him because he needs him. Winning with Gronk, Woodhead, Hernandez, etc.. will be hard to do after you give DC's a year of film to study. Teams will be able to stop those scrubs, so Brady will have to win games by throwing to wr's this year, and you just wont do that with only Branch and Welker.

7. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

While I don't doubt that Bellichick had planned on doing this, I strongly doubt that he would go through with it after his idea got exposed. He's too much of a proud douchebag to allow a story to precurse his masterminded plan. He's rather keep both players than be made to look like less of a genious.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Guess what? That's exactly what everyone said every single offseason before 2007. Scrubs, scrubs, scrubs. That system is incredibly difficult to stop because of Brady's insane timing. Ocho or no, few teams are going to be able to contain the Pats' offense.

9. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Yeah, I would hardly call any of those guys "scrubs."
    Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure both Hernandez and the mighty Gronkowski were first round picks, and Welker is hardly a scrub. Considering Woodhead is perfect for that type of quick release offense, NE will put points up most weeks. A lot of points.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Gronkowski was a 2nd rounder last year; Hernandez a 4th. Like you said, though, neither is a scrub.

11. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Gronkowski could be an All-Pro this year and Hernandez is one of the better pass-catching TEs in the league as well so they aren't scrubs for sure. Ocho fills the need of a WR who can catch the tough route from the hash marks and outside the numbers so Welker and Branch can work the middle of the field. Also, watch out for Taylor Price a 2nd year player out of Ohio U. He could end up playing a big part in the offense as well.

The only player you could call a scrub and be right is Brandon Tate. All he can do is run fast. No hands and a terrible route runner. If he wasn't such a good returner(which with the new KO rule will negate a lot of his value) he might not have a roster spot.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

The funny thing, I thought Hernandez was a first rounder for some reason and that Gronkowski wasn't. hahaha...this is why I'm not the biggest college fan. I know Gronk went UA, but that's about it.
    I know they're both thorns in our sides. A lot of teams' sides.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I agreed with this statement coming into the preseason, but the few kickoffs I've seen in the few games I've glanced at were all returned. Not one touchback, so, maybe the kickoff return has not quite gone the way of the dinosaur. Once the regular season starts, who knows?

14. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

He's not going to be afraid of looking bad when making decisions on cutting those players, because he can't look bad really. There's a reason he only gave up s**t for both and made both take dramatic paycuts...so he wouldn't be beholden to either if he couldn't rehab them the way he has other big names. If anyone looks bad it'll be the two players who couldn't hack it with NE when they got a chance to get out of their purgatories.

So he'd lose a fifth and a couple of sixths, big deal. He gets more than that by trading his current draft picks for future years draft picks.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What paycuts?

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Johnson re-did his contract. I don't know about Haynesworth, but I'm pretty certain Wash. sent NE some money in that trade.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I thought Haynesworth was still getting the 5.5 mil due him on his contract. Really never heard anything on 85.

20. my85olds442

my85olds442 New Member

I hope they keep Haynesworth.. he is about next to useless and I was looking forward to us knocking him on his fat ass! "LT up the middle for a big gain.. AGAIN"