Could we really not afford Edwards?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Aug 10, 2011.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

At the beginning of FA if I had a choice to sign Edwards or Santonio, I would have picked Edwards, because I think he is more verstile. I like that he is big, can block, can get the jump ball, go over the middle and go deep. But if Ton is Rex's guy then I am ok with that. But at this point, I am pretty sure we paid more for Plax and Mason than we could have for Edwards. He got a 1 year deal with no guarantees at 1M. I think it was not a good move to let him go, especially what we got to replace him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3126/braylon-edwards

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

he's the most verstile guy there is.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Read "We could not afford" to say "We would not pay him what he wanted so went else where"

Bray wanted Holmes money from us. He's thinks he's better than Tone, which is laughable. With his attitude and ego he would not have taken that deal here. With his legal troubles and continued stupid actions I'm glad we did not break the bank for him.

4. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

the main factor when thinking about the braylon situation is, the money he finally got is leagues below what he wanted from us.

so to say "are we sure we couldn't afford him?", is a bit of a loaded question. yes we probably could've afforded the salary he finally got, but there's no way we could or should afford what he was asking for originally.

5. milo

milo Well-Known Member

When you and your buddies get in a very public bar fight during the five day window that you don't have a contract and teams may hand you millions,

[​IMG]

6. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Apparently, we couldn't afford him. Next topic.

7. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Edwards originally wanted Holmes type money. Holmes is who the coaching staff wanted more. They signed Holmes.

After that they did still have an offer on the table for Edwards. Edwards wasn't biting so they signed Plax which meant Edwards was less valuable to the Jets.

Then Edwards got into trouble with his cousins or whoever stabbing someone in a bar. So Edwards had to lower his asking price. I'm assuming by then the Jets didn't care, or Edwards was just too butthurt to come to the Jets cheap.

So he signed with SF.

If Edwards wanted just 1 million at the end of the season, the Jets would have signed him in a heartbeat. I'm guessing the jets would have even taken him for 1 mil after signing Plax but Braylon was too emo to rejoin the jets.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

To make it perfectly clear, Ryan said come play for us for what we can afford to pay you. He said it on television, he said it in a news conference, it was reported everywhere. I am sure we could have afforded to pay him more than a million dollars. After hearing it he signed the next day with San Francisco.

9. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

He wouldnt play here unless we gave him a Santino type deal.

He is nothing but a selfish ****

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The fact that you think Braylon is as better than Holmes says it all.

11. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

That's simply not true. You think he was demanding 10 million per season to be a Jet? I'm sure he thought his value was better than 1-3 million on a one year deal, but after a week or so of no action, his agent announced that they were looking for 5 years, 25 million.

I don't know what the Jets offered him, if anything, but to the OP's credit, I'm sure we could have had him for the contract we gave Plax, and yes, if we offered him that same shitty contract as the 9ers, he would have signed with us.

I liked Braylon, and wanted him back, but I'm pretty sure our FO had 0 interest in signing him.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

And what does that make Holmes? Mr. Generosity?

And ftr I know of no source that says that Edwards was insisting on the same numbers as Holmes.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The issue wasn't the money, it was all the offfield shit this guy gets himself into over and over again. Tone got busted for smokin weed but has kept himself clean ever since. Braylon? Thinks he still can roll 5 deep with his crew into any situation instead of being the adult and stop doing stupid shit. The Jets I think were done after the last DUI incident. All Braylon had to do was stay out of trouble and the team would have found money to keep him happy but noooooo, Not Braylon HoodRat..

14. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

I'm pretty sure we offered him better than his 1 million dollar deal with SF, however he felt disrespected because he feels he is better that holmes and there was no way he would stay in NY for below half holmes salary. Oh well...

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's possible Jets brass just didn't want him back. He is a circus off the field.

16. curtis

curtis New Member

To everyone whining about not getting Braylon back: SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY. Jesus, let it go. Couldn't we afford him? He's so verstile! What a great guy! It's over. Done with. Move on.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Probably right. In a contract year he still managed to get a DUI. While looking for a new deal he gets into a fight where people are stabbed. Imagine what he would have done if he got a deal with a lot of guaranteed cash.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Aagin, early on in the process he wanted a Big time deal we would not offer. He was upset that We singed Holmes to the big deal and tweeted about it. After the Asomugha deal fell though he had an offer but chose not to accept it. We then filled that hole in the roster with Plax and moved on from Edwards. Do you really think Edwards would have taken 1 mill play here? If so you being real naive.

Its been said several times he was seeing #1 wideout type money. So it is true. He fucked himself over with his legal problems and it cost him a lot.

19. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Yeah man when me and Tanny where going over the budget we just couldn't fit him in sorry.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Yes. His proposed 'discount' was coming off a Holmes-type contract, not his actual market value.

His agent didn't announce anything. That was an unsubstantiated rumor from a Cardinals beat reporter. No one else could confirm it. If it were true, no one even bit at that level.

What WAS reported by NY writers, however, was that he wasn't going to sign with the Jets for much less than Holmes. So, that 5 year, 25 million contract wasn't even an option for our team because of his pride.

No. We couldn't have signed him for that shitty contract the 49ers offered. Read above.