Question: McKnight's role? The new kick-off returner?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets Dan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

What might Joe McKnight's main contribution to the Jets' campaign be this year? I am guessing punt returns... but let's see what kind of shape Jim Leonhard is in.

Will Cromartie be the main kick-off returner?

:finssuck:

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

You dont pay the main kickoff returner 8 million a year.

If Cromartie is returning kicks (outside of the superbowl or some incredibly urgent situation) id be pretty damn furious.

And after Leonhards injury and our shockingly terrible safety depth there is no way he should be doing anything on special teams either. Let Jco and McKnight step up

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Leonhard might be off PR duties for good.

McKnight has been teaching special teams to the new guys. Westhoff trusts him to do that. Its a sign that McKnight has been dedicating himself to football.

Cro will come in when the game is on the line. If its the 4th quarter and the Jets are down, he'll return kicks.

4. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Rex said in his presser today that Leonard will not be returning punts this year.

He said that they had Kerley, McKnight, and a couple others that are escaping me right now practicing returning today. (EDIT: Kyle Wilson also)

Also said Cromartie would not be the primary kick-returner, but might be used in late-game situations when they need a big response (like the Colts game last year).

-----

As for Joe McKnight, he'll probably get some return duty and get more playing time out of the backfield. I can see him having a decent amount of screens thrown his way (both out of the backfield and split out wide).

#4 dwalsh, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Ed Reed returns kicks for Baltimore

How many times do I have to tell people.

This idea that a high priced guy who can kick return can't do it because of injury is such SOJ pussy bullshit. Deion Sanders returned kicks too.

Enough with this fucking "he's makes too much money!!!" garbage about kick returners.

Its like the 90th time this year.

6. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I though Kyle Wilson had been mentioned by Rex.

7. ........

........ Trolls

McKnight very well may be returning punts, but his main contribution is going to come on offense. He'll start to take over as the main pass-catching back from LT. I'd assume he'll average around 8-10 touches per game on offense as Greene steps up his carries and LT keeps them both fresh.

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ed Reed returned 3 punts all of last season for Baltimore and no kickoffs whatsoever for them.

Matter of fact he has 26 punt returns over 9 seasons and never returned a kick return in his career.

Not too many teams have key players doing returns, out of Philly with Djackson

9. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

saying it with such conviction doesn't make it any more right... or wrong in this case. It would most certainly be dumb to have a guy like Cro be the primary return guy.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

But he's not the primary guy.

Its been reported he wont' be.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So its going to be no different with Cro in that case.

Returning when the game is close.

12. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

My RB.

feyfilla

13. ukilledkenny

No shit, so you are telling people they are wrong about the wrong thing. every time i see you shoot someone down for this they are saying it would be dumb to have cro be the regular return guy.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Which I have no problem with whatsoever.

But having him as the main kick returner would be absolutely fucking idiotic. Especially since his biggest issue when he got drafted was injury concerns.

15. tubby

tubby Active Member

he's only missed one game as a pro lol

16. ukilledkenny

Lets make this thread less retarded.

Today at camp I saw three guys doing the returning on special teams. McKnight, Kerley, Wilson. Those are the guys you will see almost exclusively this year.

17. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Yep, those three. We'll see what the story is with Cotchery- for now I'll consider him out of the mix.

You can expect to see Jim Leonhard come in for bad weather/fair catch situations. Cro will get an opportunity if a big play is needed in a desperate situation.

This is, of course, all unless Jeremy Kerley takes the return world by storm. (fingers crossed)

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I hate the philosophy that because someone is paid a lot of money they can't return kicks due to fear of injury.

They're more likely to get hurt at their natural position. Let them return kicks.

Shit, this year it'll barely matter because kickoffs were moved up 5 yards. But I just don't like that line of thinking.

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'm guessing that PR will be McKnight's job if he can keep his hands on the ball.

20. ukilledkenny

You better keep your fingers crossed on Kerley. I wasn't very impressed with him today. Obviously he will get more comfortable in the next few weeks but McKnight was easily the most explosive looking.

I do have to say that I could be way off on this because of the lack of real contact today. It was impossible to tell how well anyone would have done if the returns were live. Without much contact each one looked perfect.