Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

It has nothing to do with the value of a 5th rounder. That extra 2 million for trading him now can make a big difference next year when our CURRENT signed players likely push us over the cap. It's really not as simple as Cotchery v draft pick. Tanny has painted himself into a corner, and as creative and brilliant as he is, he's got one obvious move to help himself out next year to keep the team as competitive as possible.

Would have been nice to at least have the option to offer Pace or Scott as trade bait next year. That fully guaranteed year they just got for giving a million back pretty much kills that possibility, though.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I want to see Holmes and Cromartie's contract broken down before a final opinion but I don't think that's the case.

Next year Thomas & LT & Burress & Leonhard come off the books while Sanchez has a 14 mill figure that should be reworked since in 2013 we'll probably cut Scott & Pace (look at how their contracts are structured) and he'd only be getting 8 mill.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think Cotchery is the ideal #3 WR. Not sure about this, but if brass feels they need to move him to free up cap space, so be it.

4. ........

........ Trolls

No. If he's traded, the dead money accelerates and all hits this year. That's why we'd only save $450k off this year's cap. However, trading him this year also nets $4 million next season because of that acceleration, whereas cutting him next year only nets 2 million.

5. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think they're stuck with Pace this year and next. His cap # looks like its $8mm next year and $6mm of dead money if he's cut they only save $2mm on him.

Mike DeVito's cap savings next year is $2.5mm. I think he's a cap cut next year.

Other than Sanchez, who's going nowhere, it looks like Bart Scott would save $4.5mm with $3mm in dead money. Not saying they dump him too (we need all the LB's we can get) but its just to point out that their options next year are very limited.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I applauda your effort at trying to explain reality to people but people just don't care about a salary cap or reality.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Scott & Pace won't be cut next year because they've had their contract fully guaranteed by Tanny in 2012.

I really don't think we'll cut DeVito...

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to see Coth go, but don't put all the blame on Tanny.

4th and 5th receivers are young, fast, and almost always picked by their ability to play Special Teams, where they spend 95% of their time (same with LBers).

What this means is that when a good guy like Coth is on his way down, there are no 'lower roster spots' available to him, as these are reserved for young gunners and Special Teamers, not older receivers recovering from back surgery.

If Coth can't play the #2/#3 role effectively, there is no room for him on the team.

Sorry.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Why are you just assuming Cotchery can't play the #2 or #3 effectively?

10. No Fly Zone

I was looking at nyjetscap site where they show a cap savings column. I don't know how accurate it is or if the savings against the cap are correct even if the $$ is guaranteed but in looking at their options for next year on that site the options are very few.

With the young kids having a year under their belt I can see them cutting DeVito and bringing him back at a lower number. I don't think theyll completely cut ties, they'll just make him a cap cut.

11. Footballgod214

Im not. Tanny is.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No he isn't... Ignatius argument (although I don't agree with it) makes much more sense than yours.

Holmes is clearly the better WR. I personally don't think at this stage in his career Burress is better than Cotchery and we have no one after them. Kerley and McKnight might be able to contribute down the road but certainly not straight away.

IF this move goes thorugh it's because of cap consideration and Tanny's faith in Burress health. Certainly not because of Cotch's talent level.

#352 Mambo9, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  13. ........

........ Trolls

This. I wasn't talking about cutting Pace, I was talking about having flexibility with him. He and Scott had reworkable contracts next year. Now, thanks to the guarantee, they don't. Tanny had to use up that move to bring in Cro.

And yeah, I don't know why DeVito would get cut. He provides excellent value at his position and is quite underrated.

14. Footballgod214

I posted that b/c some posters were saying we should keep Coth as the #4 or #5, which we can't since those guys are young, fast, and dumb enough to run full speed into a brick wall on kick-offs.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, they all come off the books. We have 88 million committed to players who are signed through next season. That obviously doesn't include the players you mentioned.

Sanchez will absolutely be reworked. It's a necessity. That's why I didn't want him restructured this year, and it's likely why the FO tried to avoid touching his contract this season. Tanny has to have a plan, but some of those contracts make it really difficult. Pace and Scott could have been reworked, but not now that their 2012 salaries are guaranteed.

However, you can't dispute that the 88 million is there. It also doesn't include Cromartie, Harris, Holmes, ESmith, Hunter, or our current rookies. As I said before, those players likely contribute roughly 12/6/7/2/3/4 to the cap. 34 million. That's a fair estimate, which pushes the value to 122 million. That doesn't leave much room even in an elevated cap to sign next year's rookies and re-sign or replace the players mentioned above. The Sanchez restructure will save maybe 4-5 million more. Cotchery would save another 4. Nobody likes this Nobody wants to see Cotchery go. It just may not be reasonable to keep him.

Again, Tanny is going to be working his most magic ever next year on the cap. We all have faith he's going to do it, but a move like this could be a necessary part of it.

16. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

cotch on pup list. no one will trade for him.

17. No Fly Zone

I don't disagree with your assessment on DeVito.

I was just making mention that from what I saw for flexibility for next year he seems like the odd guy out aside from Cotch. I hope the cap moves up to $130mm next year then its a mute point but using today's cap figure Cotch and DeVito seem to be 2 of the few options available for them to save cap room. Brandon Moore looks to have similar savings but with little depth on the O line there's no way they can risk cutting him so I didn't mention him.

Granted with all the craziness of the past few days there is a caveat on the cap site that says they'll try to get things updated by the 5th.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yea, not seeing how someone will trade for a player that is not even cleared to play yet.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

You make a good point... I wonder what the Jets have in store as our #3 WR this year then...

20. ........

........ Trolls

He must have had a setback. I heard he was cleared a couple of weeks ago.