Predict the Jets starting roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockefella, Jul 8, 2011.

1. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I remeber it from a movie i think..... either way it made me laugh

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Offense

QB: Sanchez
    RB: Tomlinson
    FB: Conner
    WR: Edwards
    WR: Cotchery
    TE: Keller
    LT: Ferguson
    LG: Slauson
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore
    RT: Ducasse

Defense

DE: Wilkerson
    NT: Pouha
    DE: Ellis
    OLB: Roth
    ILB: Harris
    ILB: Scott
    OLB: Pace
    CB: Revis
    CB: Cromartie
    FS: Lowery
    SS: Leonhard

Special Teams

K: Folk
    P: Weatherford

3. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

I agree with most of the starting lineups that have our starting roster changing very little from last season.

I'm even more convinced after watching Hard Knocks again, when Tanny and Rex said they pay big for their front line and then they don't pay the backups really, and also when Tanny was talking about how to stay on the team and get paid well--the best way to do that is to become one of Rex's guys, when he was talking to Kellen...

I think they'll find a way to pay to keep the big 3 FA's, or at least the two WRs, if they restructure a few of the contracts working against the cap currently, restructure/extend Sanchez, maybe Thomas who is under performing can be coerced to take less/restructure, etc.

And, I know some people are down on Holmes, and people can say what they want about Holmes and not caring if he returns, but based on the NFLN Top 100 comments Rex made, and based on Rex's book where he's talking about being closer to Holmes at this point in knowing him than any other player he's ever had this long, practically... I get the vibe he loves Holmes, which might bode well for Holmes getting paid and returning (based on what Tanny said in Hard Knocks to Kellen--"become one of Rex's guys"). Even Deion Sanders said on NFLN that Rex, if the cap allows, usually gets his guys well taken care of.

I respect your opinion, and understand why a lot of people hope for this, and maybe that scenario is possible that you mention...

But IF the reports from this week that claim that Aso could be banking $14-19M a/yr on his next contract, due to some of the teams that are wanting to bid on him, and have to hit the salary floor, anyway...

If Aso isn't looking to play for a discount, I wouldn't want the Jets to pay anywhere near that on another corner. They have Kyle Wilson waiting in the wings down the road, they eventually will have to re-work and extend Revis who is already expensive, given his contract currently is only a band-aid, and if his extension comes after Aso, too? That could drive his price up more... That type of money almost or definitely does secure both Holmes and Edwards or both Holmes and Cro.

If we're going by:

Edwards allegedly based on publications, speculations, agents (not his own), publications, news reports, scouts and anon GM's wants 7-8M a/yr. Certain agents and GMs have anonymously indicated he will more likely get the low end of that unless Holmes, Rice, and Floyd drive the market really out of whack when they set the market. Edwards has indicated he'll take a discount, but he also said he'd take a discount if the team was like $1M off the other offer, that's not a lot, in the scheme of a 35-40M/yr deal, so I think the Jets should be prepared to pay him.

Holmes is one of the WRs that is widely speculated to help set the market for WRs this FA cycle and he allegedly, based on speculations, publications, agents (not his own), news reports, scouts and anon GM's will likely want/get between $8-10M a/yr. He'll most likely get the midrange in that, somewhere between 8-9M, we likely won't get him back for less than that on average, and unlike Edwards, he hasn't banked $30M+ already, so I think we have to be aggressive.

That 19M lets us be aggressive with both guys, and probably pays for a minimum contract or two, too.

Cro will come for much cheaper than Nnamdi (if that 19M tag is accurate) and it's a deep CB market, which works in the Jets favor, but Aso will still be setting the market rather high, not to mention the Revis contract, the Bailey contract, whatever Joseph gets, etc. Also, Cro has been name dropping and hinting he likes Houston a lot, I can't figure out if that's posturing or if he's really wanting to play there or what.

Either way, I think we easily keep two of our big FA's and some others for what Aso is likely to command on his own. Because those per/year avgs don't have to indicate the cap hit we take on them, depending on how Tanny structures their contracts, does bonuses, guarantees, backloads, etc.

Maybe I'm being ignorant but I think Holmes, Edwards, and Cro (or another corner) with an even decent pass rush would be better than overpaying for Aso and losing two of our FAs, one WR and Cro. Building around Sanchez is key. Not to mention how it can hamstring the cap going forward and impact what we can do for years to come carrying him and Revis, who are essentially making QB money, not to mention paying the QB we do have big money. Just my opinion, though.

4. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

I'm just not that high on Cro. I'm not saying he's bad, I just don't think he's worthy of a big contract. Teams picked on him at will last year, especially the top QB's. He had some really good games, but he also had a ton of atrocious games. I want a more consistent player opposite Revis.

Obviously if Aso is gonna get some ridiculous contract from Philly, Dallas, or whoever it may be, the Jets can't do it. 19 million is insane. My hope is that Aso would take a discount to play here with Revis. We know it was speculated at the Pro Bowl last year. However, if it's a similar deal to Revis(i think about 32 guaranteed), then we can compete. Remember, Rex loves CB's. You don't think he and Mr. T want to make a serious run at this guy? Mr. T loves making big splashes.

Re-signing Holmes, signing Aso, and signing Plaxico would be a nice off-season.

Upgrade big time in the secondary. I don't think people understand just how amazing it would be to have those 2 guys on the field at the same time.

I'd obviously rather have Braylon or Plax, but a motivated and happy Plax playing for Rex is a good thing. He provides a similar big target for Sanchez, although Plax isn't as fast. He's probably a better red zone target though.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

There are obviously tangible benefits this year, more than any other, to retaining as many players as possible to minimise teaching in the likely constrained training camp.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

I think it's more the philosophy. Rex has drafted a RB in each of his 3 drafts, because they typically wear down quickly. What's not to love about taking a bruiser in the later rounds each year, in a position that's easy to learn?

I love Greene, but I don't think he'll have a long career in this league. I just think it's more being prepared for the next bruiser in the lineup, is all.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

OFFENSE

QB: Mark Sanchez
    RB: LaDainian Tomlinson
    FB: John Conner
    WR: Plaxico Burress
    WR: Braylon Edwards
    TE: Dustin Keller
    OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    OG: Matt Slauson
    C: Nick Mangold
    OG: Brandon Moore
    OT: Vladimir Ducasse

You all will say no way to letting Holmes go and keeping Edwards, but Edwards will be cheaper and if we tell him he will be the no question #1 he will stay. We could get Burress for a fraction of Holmes and free up money for our defense. Two big receivers like Edwards and Burress would make any defense nervous.

DEFENSE:

DE: Muhammed Wilkerson
    NT: Sione Pouha
    DE: Shaun Ellis
    OLB: Calvin Pace
    ILB: David Harris
    ILB: Bart Scott
    OLB: Bryan Thomas
    CB: Darrelle Revis
    CB: Antnio Cromartie (Kyle Wilson is not ready.)
    S: Jimmy Leonhard
    S: Dawan Landry

My hoping is we will spend the money on our defense. Harris to a long deal, resign Cromartie at a fair contract and get Landry to make our defense #1. Landry is a long shot, but the idea of playing for Rex and the Jets would be tempting for any DB.

8. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

Pretty shocked to see so many people not put our best defensive lineman, Mike DeVito, in the starting lineup. I guess if you're going purely with the 3-4 starting lineup against passing teams DeVito might not make the cut, but he is certainly on the field more than half the time for this team.

#48 Jetskees, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  9. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

OFFENSE

RB: Shonn Greene
    WR: Santonio Holmes
    WR: Jerricho Cotchery
    WR/FB: Lance Moore/John Conner
    OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    OG: Matt Slauson
    OG: Brandon Moore
    OT: Damien Woody

Kerley may be the answer at slot receiver, but we can't take that chance on a rookie when we have a team built to win right now. If we are able to re-sign Holmes then we will still probably need a replacement for Cotchery in the future, so Moore gives us insurance there as well (even though I like him much better for the slot).

Woody should be brought back for one more year. If he stays healthy he's still a much better RT than Vlad at this point in their careers.

DEFENSE

DT: Sione Pouha
    DE/DT: Mike DeVito
    DE/OLB: Muhammed Wilkerson/Bryan Thomas
    CB: Kyle Wilson
    S: Jim Leonhard
    S: Brodney Pool

I think we'll play a lot of 4-3 as well as 3-4, moving our versatile defensive lineman all over the place. Ellis should be brought back if we can get him cheap, and Wilkerson should crack the starting lineup.

I think Kyle Wilson is ready to take on the corner spot opposite Revis. There will be speed bumps and he'll make his mistakes, but that will happen with any corner in our system opposite Revis. Cromartie made plenty of mistakes as well, he'll just cost a TON more. We still don't have a very good nickel corner so I could see us going after someone like Michael Adams from Arizona for that role.

I hope we hold onto Pool as we need someone back there with good coverage skills. Landry would be nice, but he's more expensive and probably worse in coverage than Pool anyways. Not sure we need another run stopper in the secondary with all the big hitters we already have.

10. NickD

NickD New Member

Offense

RB: Greene
    FB: Conner
    WR: Edwards
    WR: Cotchery
    LT: Ferguson
    RT: Hunter

Defense

DE: Wilkerson
    NT: Pouha
    DE: Devito
    OLB: Thomas
    ILB: Harris
    ILB: Scott
    OLB: Pace
    CB: Revis
    CB: Wilson
    FS: Lowery
    SS: Leonhard

Special Teams

K: Folk
    P: Weatherford

11. NickD

NickD New Member

My roster is pretty conservative thinking the Jets will bring in one or two FAs who will be starting by Week 3 at WR, OLB, CB, or FS. I really don't think the Jets will bring back a lot of our UFAs, which we all wish they would.

12. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

To all those that are leaving Holmes off their list: Holmes is coming back.

13. carlito1171

carlito1171 Member

RB: Shonn Greene
    FB: John Connor
    WR: Santonio Holmes
    WR: Randy Moss
    LT: D'Brick Ferguson
    LG: Matt Slauson
    RG: Brandon Moore
    RT: Damien Woody(will be brought back, won't be enough time to get Ducasse ready)

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT: Sione Pouha
    OLB: Bryan Thomas
    CB: Antonio Cromartie
    S: Jim Leonhard
    S: Brodney Pool

With this salary cap number being so low I think the Jets resign holmes but will lose braylon, Moss is given an incentive heavy contract.

14. Revis-island247

Revis-island247 New Member

Theres a rumor going around sayin the jets might let holmes and bray walk and sighn nmandi i dnt lik this idea i think sanchez in his 3rd yr needs those guys alot more then our d needs nmandi wa jw what u guys thought of this

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think it'd be fucking retarded.

16. Revis-island247

Revis-island247 New Member

Lolol thats wat im saying

17. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Lets give this a shot

RB: Greene
    FB: Connor
    WR: Edwards, Cotch, B. Smith
    LT: Brick
    RT: Duccase

NT: Pouha/K. Ellis
    DE: Devito/Wilkerson
    OLB: Pace, Thomas
    MLB: Scott, Harris
    CB: Revis, Wilson
    S: Leonhard, E. Smith

18. nixhead

nixhead Banned

Offense:

QB: Brunell - comeback player of the year
    Rb: Brandon Moore - The new Shonne Greene
    FB: Tony Richardson - Jets go with experience
    Wr : Scotty McKnight - redrum
    Wr: Jeremy Kerley - Rex liked his picture in ESPN magazine
    Lt: Mangold - He was sick and tired of playing center
    LG: Alan Fanaca - Jets really missed him - talked him out of retirement
    C: Ducasse - no better spot to earn his oates
    RG: Shonne Greene - came in to camp 100 lbs overweight so Rex gave him new position
    RT: John Conner - no one better protecting Brunells blind side
    TE: Braylon Edwards - he really improved his run blocking last season

Defense:

DE: John Conner - Rex loves this guy so much has him playing both offense and defense
    NT: Steve Weatherford - Rex still mad at this guy for lousy playoffs
    DE: Ladainian Tomlinson - figured this would prolong his career
    LB: Bart Scott - "Can't Wait"
    LB: James Harrison - Jets make trade - Rex had to have this guy
    LB: Vernon Gholston - had a great workout - turned some heads
    LB: Trevor Pryce - still has something left in the tank
    CB: Revis Island - Rex went with fan favorite here
    CB: Nnamdi Ashumugha - Jets paid him 50 mil per year
    S: Santonio Holmes - won't drop any interceptions
    S: Nick Folk - good open field tackler

K: Mark Sanchez - he is clutch
    P: Brad Smith - lots of fake punts planned this year