Jets CB's Both in Top 5 on Burn Rate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

lol

First time ive heard anyone say that the Jets front seven is so good.

Sure our middle linebackers are easily one of the best duos in the nfl, but our olbs and dline were nothing short of hot garbage more often than not

I mean Pouha was solid, but our ends/olbs were just old and burnt out MOST of the time.
    Funny how a lot of people on these boards wanted us to trade a 2nd for him instead of Cromartie.

#2 dcm1602, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Agreed...I'd give Cromartie the cash before Marshall...that's for sure.

I, also, hadn't thought of that...that is the first time I've heard our front 7 mentioned, collectively, as a good unit. Don't know how I missed that one.

4. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'm not sure why you think these things.

We had the number 3 rush defense in the NFL. Who made those stops, Darrelle, Cro, Pool and Eric Smith? Hell no.

I'm assuming you're calling out our front seven for being less effective against the pass? That's not the implication of the author's comment. Because our front seven is so good (they are, despite the lack of a D-Ware) and also because of Rex's system, Jets cornerbacks don't have to worry about run support or shutting down screens or dropping into zone coverage. They just have to cover their man.

"Hot garbage more often than not?" Yeesh.

#4 JCotchrocket, Jun 29, 2011
  5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

They should consider a higher spf rating.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I remember telling a lot of people that Cromartie was playing well last season when they were killing him.

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Most important positions to stop the rush ?

MLB and NT. We have a top 3 MLB in Harris, a very good MLB in scott, and had one of the best NT in the league last year.

Im sorry but Pace/Taylor/Dixon/Ellis and even Devito that much (tho he wasnt bad) dont deserve even remotely close to the credit of Scott/Harris/Pouha. Because lets be honest you take 1 of those 3 out of the picture and that run defense goes from 3 to maybe 8 or 9.

Not to mention when you have the best corner in the league and a stud #2 corner plus the best defensive minded coach in the league, well you can afford to send a helluva lot more guys @ the qb and fill up all those holes for the HB a lot quicker.

Ill tell you right now without Revis this team would NOT be a top 5 run defense last year.

As a matter of fact id say its farrrrr more likely that our run defense did so well because of our corners, than our corners did so well because of our front 7.

#7 dcm1602, Jun 29, 2011
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Jets front 7 is not so good. Jets finally got a decent NT prospect and a DE prospect. OLB prospects are still MIA. When Rex finally gets his hands on a premier OLB prospect - watch the f*ck out.

2. Cro was Ok I think - just, he's too soft for a man of his size. I know he did well enough to earn his spot here, but if Jets can get Ike Taylor, I wish Jets let Cro go, and grab Taylor instead. I really hate pussy defenders. (His pussy coverage was on a national display when Garcon burned him for a long TD - Cro was supposed to jam him at the line, but he didn't. Cro rarely jams receivers a standing a full yard behind the LoS)

9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

^ ike taylor will suck, without 2 beast pass rushers.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

^Either that, or Rex constantly sent extra defenders to stop the run and to make the opposing teams try to beat us through the air. Who do u think got a harder task when extra defenders were sent in for run support? The front 7 or the secondary?

Our front 7 was good, but it was nowhere near "so good".

11. boby

boby Banned

Our front 7 was good, but it was nowhere near "so good".[/QUOTE]
    i am agree with it.:jets:

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

For the generally knowledgeable fanbase we have here, the disproportionate percentage of Cro haters is embarrassing, were I to take that sort of thing personally. Lucky for me I don't, but jus sayin...

I am not surprised by the ranking, and what is interesting considering how many more times Cro was targeted, that his ypc and touchdown per targets numbers are roughly equivalent to Revis's.

I can understand why opponents would throw at Cro more than Revis, however, but of course it doesn't take much to remember that what opponents really did last year was avoid both and throw to whoever was covered by someone else, in three wideout sets or to TE's or RB's. That unfortanately was the percentage move against the Jet pass D.

13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

^totally agree. We got burned by no name receivers on several occasions, especially TEs.

Cro hate here is pretty bad. I think we are getting too used to Revis. Cro did get beat a few times last, but which corner doesn't get beat? Even Revis gets beat. With Revis covering so well, the WR being covered by Cro became the primary receiver. I would definitely want Wilson to start paying some dividends, but I wouldn't mind Cro coming back one more year to let Wilson develop a little further.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

In what universe is Cro coming back on a 1 year deal? He's either here long term or gone

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Cro hate? I don't know if I qualify as one of Cro haters out there. His pussy style of defense was very well known from his SD days, and I hate that. I have no problem with his coverage skills - just his pussy mentality doesn't seem to fit with the hard-nosed style of football Jets are fostering now. That's all there is to it with my gripes.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Fair enough. I meant to say I don't mind seeing him back next year...not one more year. Seems unlikely anyways.

17. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Anyone remember those tweets from Cro about gaining 7 pounds of muscle and training MMA? It will be interesting to see if this effects his style of play.

18. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

our front 7 was decent but not greatly. i though ellis very quietly had a great year but there is a reason we used out top 2 picks on a DE and NT in the draft. I expect wilkerson to start from day 1 and ellis to sub out with pohua at NT

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Its entirely possible we sign him long term and trade him in a year if we feel Wilson is ready to roll.

Not the same as signing him for 1 year, but then again trading a 2nd rounder for a 1 done doesnt seem Tanny like to me.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The cap hit would be crippling