Holmes looking forward to spending the rest of his career as a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vorrecht, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I hate when assumptions are made like this.

Who knows how those games would've progressed if Holmes was not with us at all. The entire game would be different, not just one play.

2. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

That post was made with more then a hint or sarcasim due to the comment of the two games and home field advantage.

3. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yes. In my mind Edwards is a very good receiver but Holmes is an ultra-elite, top six or seven in the league guy.

We'll find out if other teams share my opinion once free agency comes around.

4. MadBacker Prime

We already know they do.

Certain teams don't like his troubled past but he was great for us. He'll get plenty of big offers.

5. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

We will see. If the cash floor rumors are true I could easily see a team like Tampa Bay-which would have to spend $30-50 million above what they are currently slated to spend-going all out for him.

6. franzman9

franzman9 Member

I want both.....plain and simple, make it happen!

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Here's how I look at it, what is best for our offense? Will Sanchez regress if we lose one of these guy's? will he not have 17 TD again? will he have less than 17 TD?

I feel no matter who we throw in their, Sanchez WILL have more than 17 TD. Our passing WILL improve no matter who is in their. IMO i'd be more concerned about resigning defensive guys because I feel if we lose guys on defense our defense will regress. Sanchez will continue to get better and offense will get better in every way.

8. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

how many targets does sanchez really need? i mean we barely ever use 3 WRs and never really use 4. he'll still have holmes, j-co, and keller to start with. we can afford to lose braylon and sign a cheaper veteran

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Agreed, I know it will be sad to see one of these guys go, but it honestly won't hurt our passing game. IMO Sanchez was money in the beginning of the season without Holmes. He has Keller and Cotchery. And we can't ignore the rumors that Plaxico is likely coming to the Jets, imo it would make a lot more sense to have a Plaxico & Holmes combo then Edwards and Plaxico.

Im sure Tannenbaum knows what he's doing. I will feel bad for Edwards tho, because he seemed to like being a Jet ALOT more than Holmes. Time will tell.

10. MadBacker Prime

"As it becomes clearer and clearer that unrestricted free agency will basically return to the old CBA rules I’ll turn my attention over to the Jets other star WR Santonio Holmes. Holmes was a big offseason addition by the Jets in 2010 and had some big moments with the team where his late game heroics helped the Jets win a few games they probably should have lost. Head coach Rex Ryan clearly loves him and the Jets were caught on camera last training camp stating that he was the best player on the field. The question is how much of that love will translate into the money that Holmes is going to want to get.
    We will start to define Holmes’ value by trying to find some comparables with Holmes at the time of their contracts. I found it very difficult to find a large sample of good comparisons to Holmes because his age combined with his statistics is somewhat unique. Over the past 3 years Holmes yearly output average, when adjusted for 16 games, is:
    69 Receptions, 1047 yards, 15.1 YPR, 6 TDs

Those type of numbers are in line with a number of veterans such as Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, and Derrick Mason at the time of their contract signings, but those players are a poor gauge for how much a young player in his prime is worth. Other similar players like Marques Colston or Dwayne Bowe have yet to enter the market and will likely see their deals based on what a player like Holmes receives. Here is the best grouping I could come up with that performed similar to Holmes at the time they signed their new contracts."

Rest here, long and informative article-
    http://nyjetscap.com/holmesvalue.php

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

According to that list Roddy White plays 61 games a season. That is unbelievable.

12. MadBacker Prime

Is that all you bothered to read?

I think you can figure out what he meant. Strike that, reverse it.

13. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Nah, I read the whole thing. Basically it looks like Holmes will command ~8.5 million per for 4 years.

14. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just put it here.

Per Jason LaConfora

Signing New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes reportedly is the primary objective of Redskins coach and chief decision maker Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan, who has a long history of offensive wizardry, is desperate for a playmaker, which makes Holmes so attractive (contrary to reports, the Redskins haven't spent much time discussing Holmes' Jets teammate, Braylon Edwards).

And you can read the rest of the article here:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-to-make-run-on-big-free-agents-after-lockout

Personally, I think there's no way in hell he plays in Washington, they are awful with no quarterback.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

However Holmes already has a SB ring & he hasn't made that much money in his career... so why not?

I'm hoping he stays but it's not really all in the Jets hands is it?

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Ahh.. I thought it was worthy enough to have it's own thread especially in this sloooowwwww news offseason. If mods want to just delete my thread and move it here, that's cool too.

17. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Sometimes when there's breaking news about a player I like that a new thread is created. It lets me know there's some actual real news, instead of the same 2 or 3 people bantering back and forth about the same old things.

18. MadBacker Prime

Unless Homes plans on throwing himself the ball he won't get much stats going but he'll get FU money. I think Holmes is looking for FU money.

19. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

You guys are underestimating Cro's worth to this team. Wilson is unproven and without his 2nd off season, the most important one, just like Ducasse, there is no progress. I guess when someone plays next to Revis, its hard to impress, but I did not forget Lito Sheppard, Lowery and Wilson lining up with Peyton on the other side of the ball. After Holmes, its Cro as my next important FA. This team will take a step back without him. CB's who cover one on one, are hard to find. What postion can Rex never have enough of. CORNERBACK???. Cro is our # 1 priority, not a WR. Call me a fool, call me what you want. Cal

#79 sec314, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  20. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I loved the Santonio acquisition, and he's obviously the better game-breaking WR between him and Edwards.

Having said that, knowing already that Braylon is going to be cheaper (and he seems to want to stay more), and also knowing that the offense was more then adequate without Santonio aside from the Ravens game, I think we all need to come to grips with seeing Santonio wear the colors of the Foreskins when they overpay by about 20 million. Enjoy your money Tone, you'll never play on a relevant team again.

And for the people saying that Cro is a bigger priority then EITHER wideout, get a grip. Right now its about surrounding number 6 with as many toys as possible. Cro is 3 out of 3 on the list of priorities.

#80 mj2sexay, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011