Breaking down the Jets new DL look

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, May 23, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post?id=5445

Yeah, I know its a Cmini article. But there's not much else going on

Breaking down the Jets' new-look DL

May, 16, 2011

By Rich Cimini

With two draft picks, the Jets may have transformed the look of their once-aging defensive line. A year ago, this was a long-in-the-tooth unit that relied on three players over 30 -- NT Sione Pouha, DE Shaun Ellis and DT/DE Trevor Pryce.

The drafting of DE Muhammad Wilkerson (first round) and NT Kenrick Ellis (third) changes the dynamic. Here's what the Jets' depth chart looks like right now (unsigned players in italics):

DE Shaun Ellis, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ropati Pitoitua

NT Sione Pouha, Kenrick Ellis, Martin Tevaseu

DT Mike DeVito, Marcus Dixon, Trevor Pryce

Analysis: It's still early, but it looks like the Jets should be able to employ a six-man rotation. The key question is Shaun Ellis. Will the team's longest-tenured player return? In a normal offseason, the Jets might have been willing to move on without him and hand the job to Wilkerson. But the lockout is preventing rookies from working with their teams and learning their respective systems. That could be huge for players like Wilkerson and Ellis, both of whom played at a lower level of competition in college. The longer the lockout drags on, the more it increases Shaun Ellis' value to the team.

When things get settled, Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis will provide added flexibility. Wilkerson can play 3-4 DE and slide inside on passing downs. Ellis has the ability to play over the center and guard, and maybe over the tackle in certain looks. Nowadays, an inside pass rush is critical because offenses are employing quick-throw passing attacks -- and the quickest route to the QB is up the middle. The Jets also can use Ellis and Pouha at tackle, nearly 700 pounds of wall. They always wanted to use that look with Pouha and Kris Jenkins, but didn't get much of a chance because of Jenkins' injuries the last two seasons.

The Jets are high on Dixon and Pitoitua, who, according to Rex Ryan, is doing well in his rehab from Achilles-tendon surgery. On paper, the line looks a lot younger and deeper than a year ago.

2. Murrell2878

I would really like to see them find a way to bring Shaun Ellis back

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Talk about the obvious...Off season sucks...

4. Rhodes Scholar

How is Kenrick Ellis supposed to play? He's going to be in prison for 20 years, right?

/Cimini'd

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

added to your post

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If Ellis can return for a 1 year deal due to the lockout, I'm all for it. He'll play his ass off like he always does. And he'll need to do it for one more big payday from a desperate team

7. Murrell2878

I don't think he will get another big pay day, but will likely sign on somewhere in 2012 if he wants to play. Personally I want him to only play for.the Jets.

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

This isn't an Off-Season, This is a No-Season. I don't think there ever going to come to an agreement, Fucking bull shit is pissing me more off day by day.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see these guys in action, especially Mo.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Kenrick a druggie. And a dick.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah if he's gonna get a payday it would be now.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I think Shaun Ellis' best role at this point is as a rotational player. He's had a few good games over the past two seasons but he's been banged up quite a bit and I just don't see him going for another full season as a starter.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

How his this going to work considering Cimini already said one of our key new players is a Druggie?

14. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

obvious Cimini is obvious

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

And soon to be a convicted felon. He probably wets his bed too. Cimini wil break that story soon.

16. NickD

NickD New Member

Shaun Ellis will return if the Jets offer him a decent deal. I don't see big money coming his way from a desperate team and we're his best shot at a ring.

However, there are a couple other factors which have not been considered because Ellis isn't too talkative with the media. Does he prefer a 4-3 defense where he can rush the QB more? Would he like to move to a better climate or indoor stadium?

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I would too, this team is so close and Shaun deserves to be w/ this team when they finally break through. It's not usually wise to make business decisions w/ your heart but I want Shaun back.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree, I am tired of hearing about it. Just get it done.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think since he'd likely be a rotational player this would be both a good 'sentimental' and football/business decision

20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

If he's hurt or if father time catches up with him, sure he might be rotational next year, but he's played the most snaps of any Jets DL three years in a row and he played at a very high level last year.

Somebody's going to give him the money to be a starter.