Santonio Holmes - Interesting Quotes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Apr 9, 2011.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If the 2010 rules apply then Holmes is getting an offer sheet close to the Jets' budget limit for a WR.

2. ........

........ Trolls

You think someone's going to be willing to part with a 1st and a 3rd for him?

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I'm guessing if they were tendered it would be a 1st and a 3rd, which I believe Edwards got last season.

Not a chance. The Jets got him for a 5th rounder, which was a steal, but I doubt he would bring in more than a 2nd if he was somehow traded.

4. ........

........ Trolls

They were already tendered. Holmes and Cromartie were tendered at the 1/3 level.

Yeah, which is why Cato's offer sheet comment is a bit confusing. I can't see him going for two picks, including a 1, but any team signing him to an offer sheet would have to be willing to pay that if the Jets failed to match.

5. CatoTheElder

More than likely, I think it comes down to a trade, but I don't see him staying here on an RFA tender.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think he would, I think he talks tough now but when he is faced w/ eaither making a huge amount on a one year deal or making nothing he'll eventually come to his senses and play.

7. CatoTheElder

I think that there are enough teams with owners/GMs that spend irrationally and have no ability to properly value draft picks that the Jets will see some type of offer for him.

Someone is going to want Holmes. Holmes won't want to plAy on an offer sheet. Either some idiot is going to be willing to give up the two draft picks or the Jets are going to get a call.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think he will play on the tender when it comes down to it. I don't believe what he said the other day, to me that is part of negotiating. He'd prefer a long term deal and the Jets prefer to get one done as well but if they cannot come to an agreement he'll play on the tender unless someone blows us out of the water w/ an offer.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Why do you act as though he either plays here for one season or he gets traded/signed away? Those are probably the lesser two of the three options. If he becomes an RFA, Braylon launches to the top of the UFA WR class and is all but gone. At that point, Tanny's going to do exactly what he has to to keep Holmes. The RFA status doesn't mean he has to play for the tender amount. If Edwards is gone, Tanny likely makes it clear he's not trading Holmes and gets to work with his agent. He's not simply going to rebuild from scratch.

10. ........

........ Trolls

There is one other possibility. Keep in mind that we'll likely be looking at an accelerated FA period, which means a shorter window for RFA status. There's at least a chance, given his desire to stay in NY, that Edwards waits out the, say, 2-3 weeks that the RFA period actually lasts this offseason. He listens to offers, but he waits to see what the Jets do. At that point, I could see a trade if the proposed contracts for Holmes are too high. Notice I said proposed contracts and not offer sheets. I just can't see anyone submitting one for a 1st and a 3rd, even if they come in next year's draft.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I still don't think that they'll just let Holmes go. It's in Sanchez's and the team's best interest to keep both Braylon and Holmes on the team. The better business decision would be to keep both of them.

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i hope so. that would be amazing.

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

LOL.. Love the "worst Post" shtick - Just saw this, makes it easy to pick out a board DB's - what kind of reply is that??? lol.

Meanwhile, of course odds are there will be a cap and now we have a whole new thread discussing the long list of WR options...

That said, I want the Jets to resign Holmes - that top talent is hard to match - Even though I love BE, I think we could find another WR to fill in that role.

14. bibigon

bibigon Member

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time anyone has actually been signed at the first and third-round tender level? The last case I can think of Curtis Martin...

Teams are totally unwilling to part with first round draft picks to sign free agents it seems. No team would touch Logan Mankins at that tender level, and he doesn't have the baggage of Holmes, and is probably as talented a player...

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If there were no cap and we kept both Cromartie ($7m) and Holmes ($9m) than that's $16m in extra salary spread across 8 home games, or about $33 extra per ticket, per game, for these 2 guys.

How many season tic holders think a $33/game adder to keep Crom and Holmes is ok?

16. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

Not worth it IMO, just look how having both of them turned out last season. I wouldn't pay 33 extra dollars just to make it to the AFC Championship game again. Plus look at how the offense couldn't even score a touchdown in the first quarter with both of them on the team. How well the offense plays next season is going to be determined by how well Sanchez plays and not whether we have both Holmes/Edwards on the team.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Whether we have both Holmes/Edwards has a direct impact on how well Sanchez plays.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

.....and if Schottie has his game head on. Any more of those BS calls we had in the championship game will lead to his early exit.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The Steelers had a pretty good defense, and so did we. Unfortunately ours didn't show up until the second half. It's tough for an offense to get any kind of rhythm going against a top defense when they are watching from the sideline most of the half.

Obviously the offense could have done better, but I put that first half mostly on the defense failing to get off the field.

20. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

We had both Holmes and Edwards for nearly 60% of last season and look how that turned out. We didn't score a TD in the first quarter all season. Most of the games that were won were won off of us getting lucky in the last min. Now I am not saying they are not great receivers, just trying to prove that we don't need both on the team to make it back to the Playoffs. Give me Holmes/Plax and a full month or so of training camp and we will be good to go.