Another Lphin in trouble with the law

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ButtleMan, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Consider me shocked. :eek:hmy:

Former New Mexico State football star and current Miami Dolphin Siddeeq Shabazz is being investigated by Las Cruces Police after a 20-year-old man said the former Aggie punched him in the jaw Sunday night, leaving the man hospitalized.

The alleged victim, a Las Cruces resident, checked into MountainView Regional Medical Center late Sunday due to excessive swelling of his jaw, according to a police report.

According to the report filed by officer Luis Astudillo, the alleged victim told investigators he was shopping with his family at Wal-Mart, 571 S. Walton Blvd., around 10 p.m. when Shabazz approached him and began talking about how he didn't appreciate the alleged victim talking to Shabazz's fiancee while Shabazz was out of town.

"(The alleged victim) stated that there were a couple of words that were exchanged between (the two) when Mr. Shabazz then punched him with his right hand, causing (the victim) to lose his balance," the police report states.

When the alleged victim regained his balance, he said Shabazz was gone.

Reached by telephone late Monday, Shabazz said he thinks he might be a target.

"I don't know, but there's a lot of craziness going on right now," said Shabazz, who is scheduled to report to training camp with the Dolphins on July 27. "It kind of seems like someone's trying to make something out of nothing. I've already contacted a lawyer to protect my interests and that's all I'm going to say about it for right now."

LCPD Officer Wallace Downs said the case is under investigation, but could not elaborate further.

The alleged victim told police he and Shabazz had no other physical contact other than the punch. He also stated he "did not know why Mr. Shabazz would be so upset" for just talking to his fiancee.

Shabazz signed with the Dolphins in January, his fifth NFL team since his rookie year in 2003 when he was drafted in the seventh round by the Oakland Raiders. He has also spent time with the Cincinnati Bengals, New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons. He also starred this past season in NFL Europe with the Rhein Fire, where he teamed up with another former Aggie, offensive lineman Tony Wragge.

A Gadsden High School graduate, Shabazz was a two-year starter at NMSU, an All-Sun Belt Conference first team selection in 2002 and a three-time academic All-Conference honoree.

Shabazz pleaded no contest to false imprisonment and battery against a household member in March 2001 and had a felony kidnapping charge dropped as part of the plea. Those charges were dismissed in November 2005 when he completed his probation in the case.

He also received a deferred sentence and a fine in October for a charge of public affray, which was dismissed in January.

2. GreenMachine

Maybe the Phins should merge with Cincy.

3. Houston Jet

Houston Jet New Member

I wish them the worst!

4. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

[​IMG]

GO TURD-PHINS!