Sanchez considered not good enough by rest of the league?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfan76, May 9, 2011.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He was wild and high in the 1st half against Indy but that wasn't a normal half for him. His low comp % has more to do w/ taking chances downfield than it does w/ his accuracy. If he dumped it off more his comp % would go up but it's about winning and he makes plays to win games. That is much more important than a high comp %. he is developing, his comp % will continue to climb as he develops but int he meantime he has a quality not many have and that is the ability to rise to play his best in big spots.

2. ProParker718

ProParker718 New Member

Oddly enough, this was linked yesterday @ profootballtalk.com...apparently I can't post links yet but googling "profootballfocus going deep" should get you there.

Freeman only attempted two fewer deep balls than Sanchez and was still far more accurate overall.

Before I'm accused of being a Tampa troll or anything like that, I am Jet fan. Born and raised in Brooklyn, the name is a reference to Prospect Park. I want Sanchez to be successful and deliver a title. I just don't watch the games with blinders. I'm not saying you guys do but maybe I'm just more critical...perhaps overly critical, which I don't deny. I just don't want to see an absolutely loaded roster wasted because of inconsistency at the most important position on the field. With better quarterback play we don't need to go on the road three times to get to the big dance. Great quarterbacks should flourish with this kind of talent. He is young and only had 16 collegiate starts, but he also played in a pro-style offense at USC and started 18 games as a rookie. I was just hoping for a bigger year two leap, more on par with what Freeman did in Tampa. I also can't call him a top 100 player based on what I saw. Maybe Freeman shouldn't be on the list so early either but I can't say he's less deserving than Sanchez.

3. nyjunc

I don't understand how any Jet fan could not be happy w/ what sanchez has done in his 2 years.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I agree 110%, he came out of school early, even in College only starting 16 games, but broke some Rose Bowl records in that short time. Arrived and has been exactly what we needed and is only getting better.

Any Jet fan who hates on Sanchez just has no clue whatsoever about the game.

5. ProParker718

ProParker718 New Member

I'm happy with that the team has done in the last two years. I'm not overly excited about what Sanchez has done. Ignore stats all you want but they do mean something. Not everything but something. Someone working with that kind of talent shouldn't have a QB rating in the mid 70s. Whether it be Bradford or Henne or anyone else in his QB rating range, he by far has the best supporting cast.

6. nyjunc

Stats tell us part of the story but I'd rather have a QB w/ lesser stats that makes big plays when it matters than a stat QB that melts under pressure. To expect a young QB to come in and light it up his first 2 years is not being fair to the player. In year 1 as a rookie he was more carried by our D and running agme, in year 2 he was a main reason why we won as much as we did despite the mediocre #s.

Rating is meaningless to me, each of the last 2 years he has had a big WR come to the team after 4 games. Our running game was very inconsistent a year ago as well and Cotch was battling injury problems yet when we needed Mark to make plays he was always there. Matt cassell can have his rating. Joe Flacco can have his rating but I want a guy that can play on the big stage and Mark can while the other 2(and others) have not been able to.

7. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I guess he'll have to win the whole thing to get His respect. I personally like Sanchez, works hard, good attitude, Doesn't have the strongest arms...but the kid competes HARD

8. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Freeman looks to be the better QB thus far. But Sanchez has that "it" factor come money time that closes the gap considerably. Freeman might as well, but without having done it, it's an unknown.

It's closer than the stats indicate but I'd probably take Freeman.

But arguing that the Bucs have as much talent on O as the Jets? Or that it was Freeman's fault against the Lions? Not a chance.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Youre a bucs fan right?

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Matt Schaub has put up elite stats for a QB.....but his team has never made the playoffs.

Schaub
    2010 season - 4300+ yards, 24 TDs, 12 INTs, 63.7 comp pct.
    2009 season - 4700+ yards, 29 TDs, 15 INTs, 67.9 comp pct.

your argument stinks.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sanchez is still a project. Not complete yet. I think he deserves another year or two before being judged.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm so sick of these fucking stupid threads.
    2 seasons...2 AFC Championship games. Last I checked, he's the guy who starts every play on offense (sans any wildcat plays).
    Those of you who love stats, go play some fantasy football. Any Jets fan, in particular, who complains about Sanchez, go ahead and see how many other QBs in team history have made it 2 AFC Championship games.
    Just 2 overall....
    Not in a row.
    Hell, not even in his first 2 seasons...
    Go ahead, look

I'm so fucking sick of these types of threads and some of these half-assed, weak fucking replies. I wish a mod would just lock these stupid threads.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i just wandered into this thread and have to say i agree with this post. as someone who has been very critical of mark sanchez i can say that at a point in the season last year he really became a qb you could trust to make the plays when he needed to. he really did come through in the clutch last year and hopefully he can improve his skills this year.

dont take it so personally guys, he isnt the greatest qb of all time. but nobody cares or needs him to be. he needs to be a leader and a field general and i will say at this point i feel he is well on his way to being just that.

14. nyjunc

To add to that Houston has been expected to make the playoffs each of the last 2-3 years. #s are nice but it's about winning.

TB has a ton of talent on O. Again, it can easily be argued the best WR on either team was Mike Williams and I don't think there is an argument at RB- Blount was the best RB on either team. They have a ton of talent on that team and he didn't have to go the 1st qtr of the season w.o his best WR each of the last 2 years.

I'm not blaming him for losing to Det but when you are fightin for a playoff spot you cannot give a team their first road win in 3 years. he has to find a way to win that game. Sanchez has been under tremendous presure since day 1, Freeman has been able to stay under the radar and play w/o pressure.

Freeman very well could be better than sanchez, I don' think it's an insult to say he could be better but the position is about more than just stats and I think mark had a better 2010 despite lesser #s.

15. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

The only thing worse than dealing with idiotic posters on this board pretending to be Jets fans, are dealing with them during a lockout. At least during the season we can just ignore them and focus on football.

16. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Wow, what great insight you just provided.

I'll judge him now. 4 road playoff wins, tied for the most in NFL history. I'll take him on my team any day.

Now please go away.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

our OL, RB depth, WR depth, and defense is better than TB's.

Junc you can argue all you want about them possibly having better players but I dont think youll find anyone in the NFL who would definitely hands down take Mike Williams over Edwards/Holmes and the rest of their WR core over Cotch/Edwards with Holmes as our #1. aside from a inconsistent Winslow hes been growing with rooks and relative nobodies

Blount had one great year which was more impressive than any solo effort from our backfield but I'll take our overall depth in that position too due to a banged up cadillac and a worn down Graham.

OL? not even remotely fucking close. weve had one of the better lines for a decade from Herm to Mangini and Rex with a bad year before we re-tooled with Mangold and Brick. the Bucs draft one or two OL in the first 2 rounds every few years and wait for them to absolutely not pan out. OL has been a underwhelming unit for them since alstott/dunn left.

defense? again not even close.

I've talked to plenty of bucs fans and theyre more than happy with freeman's development. some have brought up this anti-sanchez sentiment but those are the dumb ones.

the reasonable thing to say, and the few people who I know what theyre talking about agree

freeman is young, has an explosive arm, tough in the pocket, and has made plays with a pretty pedestrian group. hes also learned after his rookie year the work ethic it takes to be consistently good. I believe Blount had alot to do with taking more pressure off Freeman and that doesnt get talked about enough though. just as people use our ground game and defense to detract from Sanchez.

Sanchez to me has already shown me the hard parts of being a QB. work ethic, leadership, and the ability to show up big in critical situations. I've told people who knock on him I would rather have to complain about him looking mediocre for 3 qtrs and watching him dial it in to win when it counts; as opposed to a Peyton Manning/Philip Rivers-esque meltdown in which the best player on the field for 3 qtrs doesnt seal the deal.

the reason Freeman has more hype is he has a stronger arm, and much lower expectations in TB as opposed to NY.

both have made the best of their situations. and both need to be alot more consistent before they take the next step

18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i love how Sanchez gets bashed for being clutch in the playoffs, with a fucked up shoulder. Going to be awesome when he wins it all.

19. nyjunc

I didn't say he was better, I said a good argument can be made. To act like we have all this talent and TB doesn't have any is silly. That offense is also loaded.

Winslow is inconsistent yet he has had more recs/yards/TDs(3 times) than Keller's best year 4 times(his only 4 mostly healthy seasons).

Blount averaged 5 yards per rush, our top 2 backs averaged 4.2

I don't know alot about their OL but if their OL isn't very good and Blount averaged 5 YPC then I'd say that really pushes RB in their favor.

We have the better defense but we were discussing offensive weapons. The 2 teams are similarly talented on offense and defensively we allowed 304 while TB allowed 318. That's not a huge difference.

I'm not bashing Freeman, I think he is good and going to be very good but I think all things considered Sanchez was better in 2010 despite lesser #s. That doesn't mean he'll have the better career but I wouldn't trade Sanchez for Freeman. We'll see how it goes, hopefully they will be battling each other in Super Bowls.

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

im not even arguing about sanchez n freeman id say i gave a pretty level headed analysis about both.

where we disagree is surrounding talent. im not saying theyre void of talent. Blount is a monster. and yes he averaged more cause I also believe he was near the top of the league in 20+ yard runs. and I can guarantee you it wasnt because of their OL. i just think our OL/WR and defense (yes without our defense Sanchez wouldnt be in the playoffs to prove how clutch he is) Winslow has better numbers cause aside from Williams yr this year their best option previous had been a old injured Antonio Bryant. one of the youngest teams with a cast of nobodies Winslow became a security blanket.

YPG on defense doesnt tell the story either. they were injury riddled last year but their run defense has been a problem since Sapp left and Booger McFarland got old.

im not going back n forth with you though cause I know this will only cycle through previous arguments.

we can just agree to disagree