What's your Jets draft grade?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Apr 30, 2011.

?

Grade?

1. A

21.1%
  2. B

72.5%
  3. C

6.3%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I will do it tomorrow, going to watch "Who killed Rosie Larsen"?

2. O'Brien#7

O'Brien#7 New Member

You guys convinced me that it is a B+. I love the first two picks. Kind of like a Ferguson and Mangold draft for the D line. The other picks are solid. And I would not mind getting Jason Taylor back for another year for cheap.

3. Red Menace

As I stated before I give the draft a C-.

I love the 2 defensive players they chose, even though the legal troubles for Ellis are a concern. Rating B

Powell-good pick for a team who needs RB's, we at this point we don't need another RB, unless they plan on letting go of LT or Mcnight, which I don't think they will do.

Rating C- only because we don't need another RB, otherwise he is a good player.(Special Teams?)

Kerley- why not go with Denarius Moore from Tennessee or Niles Paul from Nebraska or in our case of need Chris Carter OLB from Fresno State? are you seriously telling me that Kerley was the better value?

Mike T knows more about running a team than I do, but I have to scratch my head on this one....Rating C

Mcelroy- I love this pick, however we have already seen what a brainy QB with an above average arm is like in this offensive scheme (Pennington)
    This is not a knock on BS, but we have been down this road before.......Rating C

As far as McKnight, again there were plenty of offensive linemen we could have used this pick on just to get some depth.......Rating C

This is my opinion as I see the team, I know the team has to make some moves and sign free agents when they are given the okay to resume with operations.

Many of you guys have given this draft A and B grades, could it have not been graded an A or B if the team would have used some of these picks differently?

4. ........

........ Trolls

I asked you why half of these guys would likely be cut. You still haven't explained that, and I'm starting to think you simply can'tl. Again: we could have been down to 3 receivers after FA started, including Patrick Turner. LT has one more season, Greene gets banged up, and we like to develop RBs for a year. We have no quality backup at the quarterback position. Tell me again how these guys are likely to get cut and don't fill needs.

You're just explaining why you feel other picks would have been better. Fine. We'll address that, too.

Our need at WR is in the slot. Kerley projects there fantastically and can take over for Brad Smith in the return game, likely returning punts for us as well. We haven't had a dual return man in quite some time. We had Paul in for a visit; he didn't impress the team, apparently. I view him more as a possession receiver anyway, which the team doesn't need as much. Moore won't line up in the slot at the next level either. Kerley was tremendous value and filled a need.

McKnight has good speed and tremendous hands. For a 4th receiver, I want a guy who can catch the ball. If we make a run at resigning Hunter and Turner, our OL is fine this season and a UDFA could have the same value as a 7th rounder in that spot. Drafting McKnight gets him working with Sanchez this whole offseason. What better situation is there for a rookie with solid hands than to come into camp already familiar with the playbook and on solid footing with his QB?

You're complaining about taking a smart QB in the 7th round to be a career backup because former first rounder Chad Pennington didn't succeed as a starter? We don't have a good backup. We have a good coach in Brunell, but no true backup who we can trust to come in and not lose his head as soon as he hits the field. Give me a smart young QB to develop any day of the week for that role. You're saying you wouldn't like to have Chad Pennington as a backup?

Powell doesn't fill a need? Greene developed for most of a season until he was forced into action. McKnight developed for most of a season. Greene has shown a propensity to be banged up, and we don't have anyone who fills his role if he is this season. The team fell in love with Powell, as evidenced by the reaction to the pick in the war room. I didn't view it as being as big of a need as OLB or S, but it was certainly a need.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Almost forgot this part.

There were two offensive linemen taken between our spot and the end of the draft. Which one were you so desperate to have, Michael Person or Lee Ziemba? I actually like Ziemba...have no clue who Person is.

Unless 2 is your definition of plenty, there are STILL offensive linemen left we could pick up for depth when UDFA starts.

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I agree with everything you said, the draft fits our team's needs perfectly.

This is the point I really want to add to. He is saying that CP didnt succeed here, well hate to break it to you, CP is a success as far as the history of the NYJ are concerned. We had some of the best seasons in our history under Chad. Think of how bootstrapped he was by his coaching staff, Herm. If we had good coaches, think of the things he could have done when healthy. Also if McElroy becomes a CP clone, or hell if he becomes CP-lite, the dude is absolutely a fucking success. He is a 7th round pick, if he becomes a quality starter for a few years who doesnt make critical mistakes, and can be a team leader, he is 100000000% a success in the 7th round. When you toss in the fact we have no long term backup options, well he is a great pick in the 7th. If he doesnt become anything, then oh well we blew a 7th. If he becomes a long term backup who we can trust if Mark misses time, then by god thank the lords for that.

7. Red Menace

Okay IR, I never have a problem admitting when i'm wrong and I will not be like Junc and try to spin things to suit my POV, after reading your well informed post I will say none of the lower draft choices will be cut and I have to increase my grade of this draft to a B+.

Nice Job

#67 Red Menace, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. ........

........ Trolls

Hahahaha...that line made me laugh. We'll see in a few years who was right about the quality of the prospects. At least we know we're on the same side hoping for the best :up:

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Also, a thing people are forgetting, we pretty much drafted Cromartie after trading our second round pick for him- being that we resign him and I'm pretty sure we will knowing how Res loves his CB's. So in hindsight, we got the Dlinemen who have great potential, a CB who is a proven starter, depth at WR- which is very needed (many will complain about the picks, especially the McKnight pick, but I actually like the pick being that Holmes and Edwards will most likely not being going to Jets West camp and training with Mark, Scotty WILL be comfortable with Mark and vice versa)...plus we got much needed depth at the QB position too.

Another thing people are dismissing is that Rex is a defensive genius and if he didnt like anyone available when we picked it probably wouldnt be a good pick (i.e: Chris Carter)

11. ........

........ Trolls

^Edwards is at Jets West. Holmes is not.

Good point on Rex. He generally calls for more defensive help in the draft. If the value wasn't there in his mind, it wasn't there.

12. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

With the Kerley draft pick Holmes is a goner. Now we have everything at the WR position we need to be effective. Height = Edwards, Speed/Slot= Kerley, Sure hands= Cotchery, and Developmental Project = McKnight. I think Brad Smith is brought back simply for KR's, Wildcat, and SOME plays at WR.

With the contract Holmes is going to get we have the possibility to sign Cro AND possibly a safety.

If it is the final 4 rules for next season Holmes could get around 7-8 Mil per year. Which opens up (if this is how I believe the rules go) the possibility to sign a guy like Landry to a contract similar to OJ Atogwe (5yrs 26 mil). And with the remaining money (between 2-3 million) sign a surer kicker like ( Longwell, Mare, Bryant, Akers, or Vinatieri) OR (for the guys who like Folk) a situational pass rusher like Antwan Barnes or Travis LaBoy.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

^I really like that thought. I think Braylon really proved himself last year and he WANTS to be in NY, unlike holmes who will just follow the money (because he already has his ring). We could also sign a cheap WR too for depth if we dont resign Brad Smith, because if we dont sign Brad back and Holmes I am confident we could sign Braylon, Cro, Landry, a kicker other than Folk...I really wish Wimbley was still available- is there still a chance he hits the FA market? He would be a much needed improvement over BT

14. JohnnyThaJet

Yes he has a chance to be a free agent BUT there is no way we could afford him.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Just Wondering...but would it be possible to sigh Aso if we let go Cro, Holmes and Smith? I mean if he wants about 10 mil a year, and Cro gets 5-6 mil, Holmes gets 7-8 mil and Smith 2-3 mil...that would put us at a spot where we can spend 15 mil atleast. Am I wrong? I'm still a little unsure on the whole FA thing

16. JohnnyThaJet

Edit: oops made a mistake about the final 4 rules or whatever. Discount that.

#76 JohnnyThaJet, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its doubtful. Unless something new is hammered out and we have the NFL bussiness year, it would be under the final 8 rules of last year again for us. So we would not be able to sign any FA, untill one of ours signs somewhere else. Then we can only sign a player ofr the ammount that our departed FA signed for. So if Holmes gets 7 mill, we would haev to land Aso for 7 mill. We could not add Smith's contract on to it.

18. JohnnyThaJet

Is that how it works? Shit I thought it could be added but I forgot.

So if Holmes signs for 8 could you split that up for 2 players ?or no?

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Shit...that sucks...oh well

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I still don't see how Kerley is going to make Holmes the non grata in the WR corps.

I really think he's taking Brad Smith's spot first and foremost, considering they do the same things but Kerley can actually run a route and catch the ball.

The WR who does it all (Smith/Kerley) doesn't need to be a thrower considering its happened, what, 5 times? He needs to return and catch passes, with a little bit of Wildcat - something that isn't a specialty skill.

Kerley, IMO, is taking Smiths spot. Holmes is too dynamic. Now yes, I understand the money aspect and what Braylon and Holmes are going to demand, but in today's NFL you need both of them, not just one. The Packers had 3 WRs. This is the new NFL, regardless of the ground and pound philosophy.

Smith is going to be a FA when the dust clears, and Tanny will have to work his magic to retain both top WRs on this team. Its the only way to stay an elite team.