Jets hope offensive plan comes to life

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jcjet

jcjet Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&

I feel the JETS have the weapons they need if they can sign the FA's

Jets hope offensive plan comes to life

Instead of building through the draft, Gang Green hopes the current unit can get it done

Cimini By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com
    Archive

Strange thing, this pre-draft speculation. You listen to the chatter about the New York Jets, and it might lead you to believe they have the most dysfunctional defense this side of the Buffalo Bills. They need a safety. Need a pass-rusher. Need a big body to clog the middle.

Hello? The real issue -- the matter preventing the Jets from landing one of the top seeds in the playoffs -- is the offense. In four of their five losses in 2010, they failed to score a touchdown. Cause-and-effect explanations don't get more basic than that. With a little more punch, they would've been 12-4 or 13-3.
    Jets blog

Jets Looking for more on
    the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Offensively, the Jets have above-average talent, but the whole is less than the sum of the parts. Here's where it gets interesting: They're hoping to go into the 2011 season with pretty much the same parts as last year.

Barring the unexpected, the Jets aren't going to add any major pieces to the offense via the draft. And there won't be any blockbuster trades because veteran players can't be dealt until there's a new CBA.

To improve, the Jets are willing to bet on their last two drafts, which produced quarterback Mark Sanchez, tackle Vladimir Ducasse and running backs Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight and John Conner.

They're willing to bet on the front office's ability to re-sign wide receiver Santonio Holmes and, if possible, fellow free-agent wideout Braylon Edwards.

And they're willing to bet on coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who, in a possible make-or-break season, needs to galvanize the entire operation.

[+] EnlargeBrian Schottenheimer
    Alan Maglaque/US PresswireThe pressure will be on Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer this season.

If the Jets' blueprint comes to life, they will have only two new starters -- Conner at fullback and Ducasse at right tackle. Maybe they will pick up some Holmes/Edwards insurance by taking a receiver in the third or fourth round, but you're probably not going to see them take a receiver with the 30th overall choice -- or any other skill-position player, for that matter.

They're prepared to lock in with virtually the same cast of characters that averaged an impressive 27.1 points per game versus non-playoff teams -- but only 16.0 against playoff teams. Yes, the Jets struggled against the big boys, balling up into the fetal position against the likes of the Baltimore Ravens and Green Bay Packers.

The Jets have the ability to improve from within, but it has to come from Sanchez. Despite a glittering résumé that includes four postseason victories in only two seasons, already the most for any quarterback in team history, he's still experiencing growing pains.

Sanchez ranked near the bottom of the league in most of the key statistical categories, including accuracy -- a 54.8 completion percentage. That simply isn't good enough, not with the league trending toward short, quick passing games to combat the increase in blitzes.

He also needs to develop more consistency from quarter to quarter, starting with the first. According to a rival scout, Sanchez struggled to get comfortable against defenses that unveiled new wrinkles. That explains why he had only one first-quarter touchdown pass and why the offense produced only two first-quarter touchdowns in 19 games.

Some of that falls on Schottenheimer, who was too reactionary instead of trying to dictate the tempo -- that, according to some of his own players.

The good news for the Jets is that Sanchez is determined to get better. If he doesn't get tripped up by the lockout, which is robbing him of important classroom time with his coaches, he should continue to improve.

NFL Draft 2011

Who will the Jets select? What about the Giants? With the NFL draft on the horizon, we've got you covered.
    Jets Center | Giants Center

Sanchez has a good stable of runners, a very good offensive line and a diverse receiving corps. What the Jets need is more team speed, especially in the backfield. Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson are capable of another 1,600-plus yards on the ground, but the offense needs more explosion plays, especially with the new kickoff rule. The number of touchbacks will increase, hurting field position.

Enter McKnight, the potential X factor. Even though there are some holes in his game, he has the ability to make plays in space -- and he will get a chance after a washout rookie year.

"I think he's earned more opportunities," Rex Ryan said recently. "He could play ahead of Shonn and LT in some things."

The Jets, too, could be looking to add some speed at receiver, as they're showing interest in Randall Cobb (Kentucky) and Edmond Gates (Abilene Christian). They can add a mid- or late-round player, but that isn't going to change the dynamics of the offense.

The pieces are in place, assuming the Jets don't let Holmes and Edwards get away. Now it's up to the S&S Boys -- Sanchez and Schottenheimer -- to make it work. If not, we might have to place an "O" between the S's.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call McKnight's rookie year a "washout".

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

This is why I hate Rich, makes no mention of all the shit Sanchez does well, the games he won for us single handedly.

All these Jeter homers have been saying for years that Jeter is great because of the intangibles. If Cimini can think outside the box just once I might actually read his stuff.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Our offense was better than our defense last year.

5. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

As soon as I get to the word Cimini on an internet page, I stop reading.

6. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

4 games lost where the O scored 9 or less points and that was better than the defense?

How many games did the D lose?

7. nyjunc

The D lost week 1 depsite only allowing 10 pts, they allowed Bal to control the clock for 40 mins.

The D was also primarily responsible for losing the Chi game and the title game and would have been responsible against Cle, @ Mia, Det, Hou and Den had the O not rescued them. Our D was good last year, it was not close to how good they were in 2009. The D was better in postseason but getting to postseason was on the shoulders of the O.

8. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

How about the AFC Championship game?

9. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

The Bears game was lost by the defense. But many of the games we won our offense outshined our defense.

10. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

The whole team was inept the first half not just the defense.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Schotty's inconsistency and Sanchez's inconsistency.

That's why the offense wasn't kick ass. Sanchez is now in the breakout year. He said the Steelers game was the most comfortable and prepared he's ever felt in his career.

Schotty still has to put the players in the best positions to succeed. If not, he won't be resigned for 2012.

I read about 1/4 of the article and then realized its all garbage.

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Or maybe it was the ineptness of the offense that could only control it for 20 minutes. I'm sorry, but if you let up 10 points, your defense played spectacular.

13. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Actually I didn't disliked his article.
    Basically he has 3 paragraphs about Sanchez and I only would complain about one of those:

I don't like the "Despite" like if it was a given, but in the end the bold part is true.

This is the part I don't like.

I don't agree that those "key statistical categories" are that important, or at least I don't find those relevant to the point he's trying to make; saying that that's not good enough because that's key to combat the blitzes implies that the problem was related to protection.

I think it was more because of bad selection of plays, thus making Sanchez's accuracy not the main culprit.

However, it's a fact that Sanchez needs to improve it.

This part is interesting and true.
    Both paragraphs.

In the end, I think it all will come down to Schotty.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You really could have just renamed the article "Jets hope Sanchez comes to life" and you'll have a better article. Cimini's premise isn't that wrong as the Jets' defense is the stronger part of the team right now.

The reasons behind that are Sanchez and Schottenheimer, mostly Sanchez. If Sanchez plays more consistently, the rest of the pieces are in pace. It's his third year, it's time for him to take that next step. I feel, as well as most Jets fans do, that he will make that step.

But let's not overrate the kid just yet in the present. In terms of how he played in regular season, he was still a mediocre quarterback. A 54.8 completion percentage is not good. And our offense was far too inconsistent.

He showed in the Steelers game that he might be ready to take that next step. Even being mediocre in year 2 was a huge upgrade over what he was in year 1. Now it's time for him to become a good quarterback that can take this team to the next level.

The rest of the pieces are there. We like to say we have the best offensive line in the NFL, and even if we don't, it's still one of the best. We may have had the best collection of pass-catching weapons in the NFL last year behind a great line, yet the Jets as a team were only ahead of the Panthers and Cardinals in terms of completion percentage. That rests at the QB and the coaching staff. Both need to improve. But in the end, it's Sanchez. If he improves like he should, he'll make Schotty look like a genius.

15. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Just re-sign one of Edwards and Holmes. I still believe it's not the end of the world if we lose one. We need to use Keller and Cotch more anyway.

16. 624

624 Banned

The 10 points is a little misleading, but lets not pretend the 40 minutes wasn't partially on the offense as well.

What is the defense supposed to do with so many short offensive possessions?

17. nyjunc

I can buy people saying the O was at fault but I can't buy the D being "spectacular". The D allowed Baltimore to control that game, Bal was converting 3rd and longs all night. The O was awful w/o a doubt but they never could get into a rythm b/c Bal had the ball all night.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

To be honest, most of us on the Schitty thread have been saying

Exactly that.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Someone should introduce Schittenheimer to Dustin Keller. I think he forgot he's on the team.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Also - That Baltimore game was a Coaching Fiasco... They didn't even let Sanchez throw against a very shaky secondary to start the year lacking Ed Reed and decent CB's. AMAZING!!!!! - the coaching staff went into the fetal position, not Sanchez...

Then the Green Bay game - the Game were refs give the defense 2 balls ripped from players down on the ground. yeah, whatever.... That offense was better than advertised that game and just couldn't overcome horrendous calls... Andno I don't cry over that game but, lets also not shine a light on the game without discussing the glaring problem the Jets had that day with lousy calls when we are trying to evaluate our offense.