BIG EAST expansion imminent?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by vinsjets, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Most estmates have a payout from a playoff system at around 800 million which dwarfs the 125 million BCS contract. Once these guys figure out how to ditch their dead weight it's going to happen a lot sooner then you think. It's really a shame because ND should be independent (but not with the Big East allowing them to call the shots) and Nebraska belongs in a conference with Missouri, Colorado and the Kansas schools but greed and evil men like Jim Delaney are killing the greatest game on the planet.

2. Barry the Baptist

Now take this for what is worth but a writer at the Austin Statesman has written that he has heard grumblings of Kansas being in discussions with the Big East.

The writer is Kirk Bohls and this is the article
    http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...hings_and_on_41.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games

Here is the good stuff ... Bill Self stated on his weekly radio show that had the Big 12 been destroyed by Texas then Kansas, KState, Mizzou and Iowa St would have been invited to join the Big East.

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/26163006

3. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Had this shared with me today.

here is an email detailing the Villanova decision process and timeline. They won't decide until APRIL 2011.
    ------------------------------------------

4. Barry the Baptist

5. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

So that BIG EAST expansion that was imminent.... Is imminent again? Or the BIG EAST splitting apart is back in the conversation.

Villanova was fully prepared to accept the bid, but after a meeting this weekend it appears the football schools (Led by Pitt) are all shooting down Nova's plan to bring football to D1a standards.

The thought of playing BIG EAST home games in a stadium with less than 20,000 seats didn't sit well I guess. I'm not surprised the football schools are balking at the move.. I wonder if they thought Nova would reject it again and they could stay quiet.

According to Fr. Peter Donahue, the BOT @ Nova was prepared to announce a move up this Tuesday (Falling in line with the April 12th deadline mentioned back in December). Now the decision is postponed indefinitely.

In order for Nova to start winning over the schools, they're going to need help from the Philadelphia Union to get PPL Park up to 35K by 2013/2014.

Meanwhile, UCF and Houston, and to a lesser extent, Memphis and ECU, all are looking at the BIG EAST dumbfounded.

6. Barry the Baptist

My thinking is this is going to hurt the schools like Nova, Providence, Seton Hall and the other non football schools. I think within the next few years we're gonna see a split with 12 football teams leaving the others behind. What a fucking shame.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Seems that way. It's not over for Nova, we would need to get firm plans to expand PPL Park and give the Big East a better pitch why we should be in the conference. But inviting us publicly and then shooting us down publicly does not look good.

Good chance the Big East ends up inviting UCF, ECU, and Houston and becoming Conference USA. Can't wait for that big Houston-USF game on Friday night football. All 15 people who aren't alumni of either school will love watching that game.

Same with Rutgers-ECU. Or UConn-Louisville. The only football programs that would be worth a damn would be WVU and Pitt, and neither is a powerhouse.

Does that conference get a BCS bid? I would imagine it would, and it would provide for a football playoff, but who would care about the league? Basketball is what gives the Big East its name brand. If these schools abandon it, the basketball would still be good, but it would be killing a great thing.

8. Barry the Baptist

You forgot about TCU being the big dog in the Big East in football now. We've just seen the tip of the iceberg with this team. You give that school ESPN money, BCS money and the entire state of Texas and they are going to really flex their muscles. They're already starting to take recruits away from the Big 12 schools and that's with them playing in the MWC.

Your right, without Georgetown, Nova, St John's, Seton Hall, and Providence there is no Big East. How about that awesome Big Monday tilt with East Carolina and Syracuse? Sure gonna be a real barn burner. Uconn and UCF? What a thriller.

I think we're still a few years away but once that BCS contract is up I think we're going to see armageddon in college sports. There will be no loyalty and schools and conferences are going to look to save themselves first and coference a distant second.

9. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Not that I give a shit about college basketball when it comes to expansion, but UCF is currently sitting with the best basketball recruiting class of non Big6 conferences.

EDIT: ESPN bumped UCFs recruiting class to #16 in the country.

#49 vinsjets, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

What happened to UCF last year? You guys were like 14-0 and ranked, next time I saw you, you were 14-8.