2011 Players the Jets have met with/visited.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

Carimi vs. Wilkerson or Heyward? The DL.

Carimi vs. Sheard/Reed/maybe Houston (I'm kinda turning around on him but slooooowly)? I'm going Carimi.

2. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

IMO taking an OL would be the worst possible thing they could do. They already have two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick invested in the OL. Top picks need to go for playmakers, not grunts on the OL. Three top picks is more than enough invested in the OL. Slauson is a 6th and Moore a UDFA. When Moore is replaced it should be with a mid-to-lower round pick or a UDFA. Ducasse and Hunter should be able to handle the RT spot. If not, they can bring back Woody or sign a FA.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Jets | Scheduled to meet with Ray Dominguez Fri Apr 8, 05:06 PM

The New York Jets are scheduled to meet with University of Arkansas OL Ray Dominguez before the 2011 NFL Draft, reports Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wisconsin All-Ameican offensive tackle Gabe Carimi is scheduled to visit the Atlanta Falcons and the New York Jets next week, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

I don't disagree, but I think it'd be hard to call it a bad pick if it's actually Carimi. That's a damn good player to get.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

No, the OL protects Mark Sanchez, the most important part of this team.

The Dallas Cowboys have your line of thinking. Look where it got them.

If Carimi is there, I don't mind that pick at all.

I'll take late rounders and UDFAs to find defensive players and use the top picks on protecting my QB. OL are playmakers too because they protect the man who makes the plays happen, as well as block for the elite ground attack.

The OL is paramount to the success of this team, 1st round picks need to be spent on them. Its the 30th pick too. Its not like they'll trade up to get Tyron Smith at 8 to be the bookend RT across from Brick.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

^ This. 100 times over this.

If an elite O-lineman falls to you its a good pick.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I find this very interesting....

on the Carimi debate...

I wouldnt hate the pick, but I don't think it does us any good right now. It also means that we are shutting the door on Vlad being able to be an NFL T, after one single year. Since Brandon Moore has a few years left in him (I would say 2-3 more at his elite level and probably 3-4 before he really needs replacing) to me it would really signal the fact that Vlad is a blown pick.

Is it a bad idea to do pick a RT at 30? No, especially not if it's Carimi. He could definately be the BPA since I think we are going to see the OT's slide a bit this year. It would be dissapointing if he was the BPA, but at the end of the day round 1 should be about BPA (within reason of course) and improving the talent where we can. Sure we all see the biggest weaknesses is in the front seven.

It really needs an infusion of youth and speed. So we all really want our first rounder to go there, but outside the box thinking might be the only real option for us. I really am starting to think we are going to see a run on all of the defensive players we want in round 1. So if Carimi is there and nobody else is, and a trade down isnt an option I would be ok with the pick.

9. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Then I'm glad you aren't GM of the Jets. Teams have started using more top picks on the OL than before, but still most teams do not multiple high picks on their OL.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The Jets had 4 1st rounders on their OL in 09.

Tanny used a 4 and 29 overall on the line in 06. He took Ducasse in the 2nd round. That's still a high pick. So clearly he shares my line of thinking.

Carimi would be BPA at 30.

Its not a top 10 pick on another OL prospect. Its the 30th overall pick. Bookend Tackles are extremely important. Ask the Packers. It also won't kill the Jets financially.

I'm not advocating Carimi as my #1 choice for the 30th pick, but if he falls to that spot it's going to be difficult to pass him up. Sanchez is more important than any other player on the Jets. His protection is paramount.

I used to think, "OL are players that can be groomed." Then 05 happened. Didn't think anything of it. Then 07 happened. Then I realized that OL are extremely important.

11. thebrickwall423

thebrickwall423 New Member

According to the Jets twitter...

nyjets New York Jets
    #EA Baylor DT Phil Taylor and Temple DL Muhammad Wilkerson are visiting the Green & White on Monday

nyjets New York Jets
    #EA Prospects visiting Jets today: Ray Dominguez, OL, Arkansas, Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rocky and Jah Reid, T, Central Florida

nyjets New York Jets
    #EA Temple S Jaiquawn Jarrett and Rutgers S Joe Lefeged also have arrived in Florham Park.

12. Odds are Carimi will not be there at #30 as he is a legit day 1 starter at RT who fits in perfectly for a cold weather run first team. The only reason he even gets to # 30 is if there's a crazy run on front 7 players, or teams stay away from him given the fact that he can only play RT(IE Leon Searcy or Marc Columbo).

Obviously, if he's there at 30 you have to at least consider it. Afterall, regardless of what you think of Ducasse, we still have a need(albeit smaller than the front 7)w/ O-line depth as both Turner and Hunter could be on their way out the door. Bringing in Carimi ensures very good competition at RT going into TC and the loser of the Ducasse/Carimi battle likely becomes "the 6th man" in our jumbo packages, and likely projects as Moore's replacement long term. Moore's recent surgery concerns me, and although I think he has at least 2 more years...it doesn't hurt to start thinking long term.

I also don't think it says anything about Ducasse projections. With or without Ducasse we still have a need with OL depth as I am not completely sold on Hunter.yes it would be ideal to address Ol depth w/ another Rob turner late in the draft, but sometimes those guys are hard to find late, and also if Carimi is far and away the best on the board...he does fill a need.

13. franzman9

franzman9 Member

I would love to see a break down of what players we have had or are going to have visits with by position.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

thats why i believe he has a decent chance to be there at #30. Teams don't draft right tackles early in round 1, generally if you can't play LT (and only project as a RT) you are considered an early round 2 prospect if you are elite at the position. The only exception is if the team has a left handed QB (Vick) and needs to protect his blindside...

Also toss in the fact that so many teams need front seven players, and there are a bunch of great ones this year, the tackle class (which is considered pretty weak this year) could slide down draft boards, which could leave Carimi sitting in our laps...

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'm not disputing that OL aren't important or that Sanchez isn't the most important player on the Jets and needs to be protected. I also am not saying that the 30th pick equals the top 10 in value. I also agree that Carimi could be the BAP player at #30.

That said, they may have a D player or WR rated only slightly lower than Carimi, and that position by virtue of its importance in the Jets' D scheme, would outweigh the difference in how the two players are rated. How many years have the Jets been looking to find that pass rusher? They can't keep putting it off to the future. Even if they can't realistically see their way to getting an OLB they want, then I think they need to find the best DL they can that will give the potential of improving the pass rush and making the OLBs they have more effective if at all possible.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The PAckers took a "RT only" guy in the first last year. I highly doubt a player of Carimi's talent is allowed to slip to 30, but as Kurt said, that fixes our line both short and long team. I would have no problems with it what so ever. A run first team needs a top flight O-line. Brick-Slauson-Mangold-Vald-Carimi for 4 or 5 years could be epic.

17. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

that "RT only" guy you are talking about, Bulaga was supposed to go top 10 to buffalo. Then he fell more than half a round to the packers at 24(?) because teams decided he was purely a RT prospect. Carimi will have the same problem, except compounded because this tackle class is weak, last years was considered fairly strong. It's not inconceivable he could have dropped entirely out of round 1 if the Packers hadnt been desperate for OL last year.

Just because you came up with one example of a RT who was drafted in round 1, doesn't mean I can't come up with 10 more guys who were drafted in round 2 not because they weren't elite prospects but because they were simply RT's and couldnt play LT.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could, but thats not the point. Good teams draft talent when it falls to them. The Bears would be stupid as heel to pass on a guy like Carimi if he fell to 29. Thier line is a mess and they needs to protect thier QB before he gets killed, just like the pack did the year before.

The NFL draft is a fun thing to track, becasue pattrens change as the league evolves. I can't reember anyone having Bulaga top ten, but most had him end first, despite being limited to the right. Other such labels have started to fall off.

Never take a DB in the top ten? At least two will fall there this year.

No one drafts interior lineman in round one... now they do if they are an elite talent.

Being a RT only may keep you out of the top ten, but its not a ticket out of the first round if your a very good talent who's ready to step in year one.

19. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Actually I think the Bears could go Guard or Center at 29 is they want to address OLine early. I dont know if they would draft Carimi 29, he's a great prospect but since he's a RT only guy they would have to move Webb to LT to fit in Carimi. Which just wouldnt workout.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's different.

WR's at the back of round 1 is a bad idea. No one is worth that pick.

Reaching on front 7 is understandable. I wouldn't mind it unless its a prospect I'm not big on, but considering Tanny and Rex both preach BPA - Carimi's it. I'm just using the logic given by our FO/CS.