Labor Negotiations News

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BK_Jetsfan, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

NFL and Players Union agree to....7 day extension to CBA expiration.

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Bart Hubbuch NYPost_Hubbuch

Prediction from what I hear: Owners agree to 10-day extension, new CBA worked out next week. Owners don't want to see Doty in court. #NFL

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

The fuck they had been doing all this time then? A 24 hour extension was breaking news. Now a 7 day extension is breaking. WTF? They had months to do, how on earth is a 7 day extension a breaking news? NFL.COM has nothing much to report, but this is not breaking news.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I really hope this gets done next week. It will completely fuck up the draft if free agency doesn't start.

5. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Mortenson's reporting the players have budged on the "next billion off the top" to the toon of $250 million.

Just give the owner $1.5 billion off the top, wrap up the rookie cap/benefits issues, accept the fact that we're going to 18 games and call it a fuckin day.

6. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I've been waiting for someone to really go into how no free agency makes the draft sooo much more difficult for teams. It's a wild concept I haven't really heard discussed in depth.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I don't want two more games. Two more games will absolutely kill the lifespan of most running back's careers.

I'm usually one of the first posters to bring up the NFL evolving into a running-back-by-committee driven league, but two more games would take years off of most running backs.

We'd see a lot of backs get 300 plus carries in a season, every season.

8. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but I don't see any way that it doesn't happen. The pushback from season ticket holders paying for shit pre-season games is too much.

Plus I think it's the key to closing the book on a compromise. The owners aren't going to get enough to meet the players halfway unless they know they're getting the extra two game revenues.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The players gained a ton of leverge when Doty ruled against the owners. They have to actually, you know, negotiate now.

10. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Ok... new girl needs a little lesson. Talk to me like I am 5.... or a girl :wink:

Aren't there not actually more games, they are just counting pre-season games as games? And by then aren't all the players full-on training then anyway? I know they don't usually play as much in the pre-season games, but they are still there and ready, right? I don't see how playing for maybe an additional hour out of a whole year can be that detrimental.

Again... not asking for flames, asking an honest question.

11. alngtheway

alngtheway Member

someone much more knowledgeable than me will hopefully reply to this and do a better job. but just for starters, i dont think you can compare the toll on a player's body in a regular season game vs training camp, preseason, etc. two more full games of actual football is going to be far more rough and more likely to cause injury than what currently happens.

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The big muscular mean guys try and hurt the guy with the ball for that hour, and somtimes they, like, get all hurt and everything. Sometimes the mean muscular men hurt them so badly that they can't run like before. Then they won't be able to play, and their wives/girlfriends won't be able to go on those beautiful trips to the carribean. But, like, he will at least have some more time for his family, which is really the most important thing. Notice how people don't, like, spend as much time with their familys and all? Men are assholes.

/girl speak

13. 624

624 Banned

That was good, almost like you have talked as a girl before.

14. tubby

tubby Active Member

I love how Goodell pushed for division games at the end of the year to limit teams resting their players and now he thinks adding 2 more games will help that problem.

I love how Goodell has pushed for player safety and cracking down on helmet-helmet hits and he thinks adding 2 more games will limit the players hitting each other.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It's not him, he's just a lackey for the owners. In millionaires vs billionaires, billionaires always win.

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm encouraged they haven't shut this thing down entirely. Hopefully common sense will prevail in the next week.

17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Wasn't sure if I should post this story here or in the main forum, but here is where I ended up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/07/lockout-concerns-lead-jets-player-to-move-back-in-with-his-parents/

Jerry Seinfeld once observed that there’s no way that moving in with your parents is a sign that your life is on track. There’s also no way that an NFL player moving in with his parents is a sign that the league’s negotiations with the players’ union are on track.

So while there’s been some optimism in the last few days that labor negotiations are moving in the right direction, Jets guard Matt Slauson represents the ultimate example of a player acting cautiously and saving his money in case there’s a lockout.

Slauson told the New York Times that he, his wife and their baby are living with his parents while he waits to see what will happen next year.

“I’m constantly working with my budgets,” Slauson said. “I know that this week could be my last week in the NFL, and then I won’t have any more checks coming in.”

Slauson, a 2009 sixth-round pick who started all 16 games for the Jets in 2010, has made several hundred thousand dollars in his two-year career. So he’s not exactly George Costanza moving back in with Frank and Estelle because he’s got $714 left in the bank.

But Slauson is being frugal until he’s sure there’s going to be a 2011 season. Other NFL players would be wise to follow his lead.

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

truer words couldnt be spoken and this is why slauson will probably be successful in his life rather than being a broke ass 34 year old 3 years out of football after wasting millions of dollars.

19. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Good for him for keeping his head on straight.

But... people with a LOT less money than him don't live with their parents.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

NFL Network actually did a segment on Slauson last week on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.