On the Sanchez fumble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Barry the Baptist, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Well we have evidence of Brady when they invented a new rule on the spot to screw the Raiders. That rule had never been called up to that point and never has since. I still remember the ref explaining it like it was something we needed an explanation to. It was either a fumble or an incomplete pass.

2. Ontherise

Ontherise Member

Getting it out of the way, I'm a Pats' fan.

Thought it was a fumble at the time, mostly because I wanted it to be.

Now... looking at the replay... unless I'm not understanding some part of the rule or description of a throwing motion - it seems clear... and I mean 100% obvious, beyond a doubt... that his arm was coming forward, while he had control of the ball.

I understand the throwing motion to have 2 parts - BACK and then FORWARD. Sanchez's arm had definitely already reached its maximum extension backwards... ie. the maximum BACK... and was starting to bend and bring the ball towards his ear. That has to mean it was coming forward, right?

His wrist had not started to roll and the ball was still pointing the 'wrong' way... but it was definitely less 'back' than it had been a split second earlier... and less 'back' than it had been a split second before that.

Should've been incomplete and the Jets should've been punting. Who knows how things would've gone after that.

3. jeff41

jeff41 New Member

It was a good call by referee Ed Hochuli and a good confirmation in replay.

Sanchez’s hand was moving upward as he was cocking his arm to throw the pass. The contact that knocked the ball loose came before the hand started forward. It’s all about the hand. Even though the elbow starts forward as part of the cocking motion, it’s only a pass if the hand is moving forward.

Nine out of 10 of these types of plays are fumbles. Referees are wise to rule these fumbles, because the majority of the time they are. As it turned out, this play would prove to be the difference in the game.

per mike pereira