Edwards Once Considered Retirement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets n Boys, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

This is old news, I know. And it had been posted, but couldn't find the thread. However, I Just wanted to bring up what he went through in Cleveland, and what we have seen from him, especially in the last two games. He sounds nothing like the man he was in Cleveland from the parts I highlighted above. Long article but a good read. He is enjoying himself out there. Yeah, he likes to be flashy, but he regained focus this year. Hardly any drops under his belt and probably the most reliable WR for the Jets this year seeing how others have dropped tons of catches this year.

[​IMG]

It seems like Edwards life took a 180 degree turn. I hope we resign him and Santonio both. I know Braylon has matured greatly. Besides the iPod non issue, Santonio has also showed signs he wants to play football.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If this guy isn't resigned that will kill much of the joy from our impending superbowl win.

This guy needs to be a jet for life.

Not only does he deserve it, but to lose him would be a huge step back for Sanchezs development

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think we as fans just look at the $ these guys make and think that should make them happy. What we don't realize,what seperates the athlete from the fan,besides talent,is the competitive fire that burns inside these guys. Especially coming from a winning organization in college to a loser in the pros this could really eat away at your psyche.
    Sure there are guys like a Haynesworth who just seem happy to collect a paycheck but given the article above and the recent tweets by Edwards saying how much he loves being a Jet and wants to stay here, I have a new respect for the guy and given his production on the field,i'd want him to be a Jet for life.

#3 Jersey Joe 67, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. steves850

steves850 Active Member

It would be amazing to lock up Edwards and Holmes long term but if I had to choose I want Edwards. It should be acknowledged the amount he has matured in the past season.

5. JustBlaze330

JustBlaze330 New Member

Let me say this, living in akron and following the browns and jets gives me a unique perspective. Braylon never got a far shake here with the browns. Mostly, he was the only option at wr, or they had Winslow at tight end to take some of the heat off. However, he had numerous chances to make a game changing catch and the ball would be on the numbers, only to slip through his hands. Then two plays later he'd make a sportscenter top ten type catch.
    Having said that, im glad he is a jet and is getting better with ball security. Not to mention he is one of the best run blocking wrs in the league. Tanny needs to resign him.

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

If Sanchez develops into a true top 10 QB like expected I think we'll turn into a pass first team with Holmes and Edwards having 1000 yards each year for years to come.

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Sure looks like it.

QB Sanchez
    WRs BE/Holmes, Cotch, Smith, Draft pick
    TE Keller
    RBs Greene McKnight
    FB Conner

Yes please. If I'm not mistaken Cotch is the eldest and he's like 28

8. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

it does seem are offence is set for years to come. Apart from 1 or 2 on the line we could really move on keeping this group together for a long time.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Holmes may be the more prolific of the two, but in my opinion Edwards is the more complete of the two receivers. Combined with his attitude, his blocking, and his talent I see Edwards as the top priority of the two receivers. It would suck to lose either but if we could only keep one I'd choose Edwards in a heartbeat.

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

No one deserves to be stuck in Cleveland. That includes LeBron.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Edwards at 28, Cotchery 27, Holmes 26

That said I'd like to keep Braylon more than Santonio. I love them both but I think Edwards can help Sanchez more in his maturation process.
    Plus he's already made big money and experienced what it's like to play in a shitty team (while Santonio has been underpaid so far and has only played on winning teams) so I think he'll cost less.

#11 Mambo9, Jan 20, 2011
  12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

cool. resign with us for 5 mil a year then edwards...

i dunno man. say we offer him 5-8mil, and a team like the rams say "hey we got 10mil a year"

im pretty sure he would go to the rams.

#12 JfaulkNYJ, Jan 20, 2011
  13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Still no easy choice between the two. Edwards is the prototypical number one but Holmes changes games in his own way. At this point I would hate to lose either one.

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Cotchery 28 (drafted in 04)
    Edwards 27 (drafted in 05)
    Holmes 26 (draft in 06)

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i said this in another thread. on espn1050 monday Braylon said he wants to be a jet for many years, and wants "that guy with the number 10 jersey...to be on the other side of the offense"

he also said he believes the jets can work out a way to keep both WR's. I cant believe nobody made a story out of this in the media.

edit: ill go look for the interview

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Cotchery is only 28!? :eek:hmy: I had no idea.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Imo, keeping Edwards should be the number one off season priority.

Yeah, I really think that.

Not only has me been the most consistent skill position player, he has improved his weaknesses to the point where I am having trouble thinking what his remaining flaws are. He's tough, takes hits and bounces up. He's one of the best blocking wideouts I've ever seen. He's well spoken and I think will be an increasingly valuable leader on the Jets. He shows patience and is not at all the disruptive player some predicted he would be. He seems genuinely grateful to be playing with the Jets, to have the opportunity. I know Ryan loves the guy.

To put in the year he has and not sign him conversely I think would be damaging.

Gotta bring him back.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gotta bring back Braylon, he's played excellent in the playoffs and has been solid all season long, were going to need him when we play the Steelers (last meeting 8 catches 100 yards) I can see a Plaxico type game from him this weekend (when Plax played the Packers in the NFCCG and dominated his Al Harris and Eli kept looking for him to move the chains and make plays)

I wonder if Braylon's depression in Cleveland led him to become the big drinker he is now, just by reading the story i wouldn't be surprised

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Exactly. He's been in the league for seven years, and seems like 30+, yet he's 28.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't know if he's a big drinker. Yeah, he had a DWI/DUI but I wouldn't conclude he's a big drinker based on that one DWI.