How the Steelers offense scored against the Ravens.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 18, 2011.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

1st TD

They had a pass interference call that moved the ball from their 38 to all the way down to the Ravens 20 yard line. First off their was no way he was catching that ball, secondly many people feel the Ravens got screwed on that call. I'm not here to debate that though.

2nd TD

Ravens fumble the ball on their own 23 yard line. Another great field position, Steelers pass for their 2nd TD.

3rd TD

Flacco throws an interception that gets returned to their very own 25 yard line. Steelers pass for their 3rd TD

4th TD

Completely blown coverage, Ben throws the ball up and we all know what happened.

So yea, the Steelers were basically handed great field position. First the pass interference on the 20, the the fumble on the 23, and then the pick on the 25. Then lastly i'll give credit to Ben for throwing that long ball, perfect throw.

What can I conclude? if the Jets defense plays like it did against the Patriots, expect turnovers, sacks, and a very fustrated Steelers offense. Our defense is nothing like it was last time we played. Sanchez can not make mistake either.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't think we will be employing the tactic we employed in the previous two weeks. In that two week span, we faced an offense that couldn't run for shit even if their lives depended on it. Rex basically showed his middle finger when he placed Cole (a CB) on a DE spot multiple times - both against Colts and against the Pats. Neither couldn't produce anything through the ground at the end of the day.

Now the situation is very different. Steelers are capable of running. We cannot go hell bent on stopping the pass. Mendenhall will kill us. I'd like to think that, since their OL is banged up, DeVito and Pouha should have minimal trouble maintaining double team. Ellis will be Ellis, but then we would have to use our linebackers this time around to account for both rushing and passing.

3. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Thanks for the recap.

Add to all that the fact that we are playing better now than when we beat the Steelers last time.

Yes, key to beating the Steelers is making them earn all their points.

4. GreenMachine

BUT BUT BUT...They have long drives!

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I think we need to play the Steelers O exactly like we did the Colts and Pats.

Reguardless of their history theyre a pass first team. Mendenhall has had 3 100 yard rushing games all season, although his second best YPC was against us.

With their terrible Oline I say just force them to run it and go from there. All I know is Wallace and Miller are far more scary than Mendenhall ever will be

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Agree.

I'd like to not see overload blitzes on Ben this time. He just rolls out and finds someone. He's too good outside the pocket for those types of blitzes, they have to come up the middle.

He's got a talented rookie in Pouncey and a shitty right side of the OL. I want pressure down the middle from the A gap off of pouncey's right shoulder. In the replay of the Steelers game, I just watched Ellis bullrush Pouncey all the way back to the top of Ben's drop. Pressure will get him to move, but I'd rather see him in the pocket.

And the Ravens beat themselves. So if the Jets don't do it, they'll win.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Ben is on the loose, that means DEs have failed miserably. You can never - I repeat, NEVER - lose your containment on him. If he's on the loose, big play will come just that soon. I don't want to see Ellis driving in because of that. He needs to keep Ben contained so that, when the pocket collapses, the rushers will have a target to converge on.

8. HighFlyingJets

Pittsburgh has an extremely talented HB in Mendenhall, he's just as explosive as any young back in the game today. Take the lead early, & he won't beat us, not behind that O-Line.

We have to do exactly what we did to Brady, which is beat the living sh*t out of Roethlisberger. I don't care how tough this guy is, you put his ass on the ground a couple times, & just like Brady; he'll become a different QB once those hits keep coming.

We all know #7 will scramble in & out of the pocket, the key is to bring big Ben down with 1st contact. We cant afford missed tackles, we cant allow Ben to break tackles & scramble out of the pocket; thats when Ben looks to, & usually makes the big play on the run.

Stick to Miller like white on rice, just like we did with both Gronkowski & Hernandez, & he's eliminated from the game.

The key matchups are Revis/Cromartie on Wallace/Ward. I want Revis on Ward 3rd & short, I also want Revis on Wallace 3rd & long.

Also, as Mick stated; send most of the pressure up the middle.

9. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

The Ravens shot themselves in the foot. Lets face it, the Ravens showed no offense coming into the second half. This game will come down to whoever makes less mistakes will win. If we don't turn the ball over then we should be fine.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I think: Stop the run first. Keep Ben IN pocket second. Prevent the big play to Wallace and see if that's enough.

The only thing I think we can take from last week is: You're not gonig to get a great rush anyway because of the field, might was well chip everyone coming out of the backfield and disrupt timing on your way to the coverage sacks that you WILL get because Ben holds hte ball so long

11. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

Yeah, Ben gets rattled when he gets hit. The Ravens broke his nose 3 minutes in the game during the regular season, he went 22 of 38 (58%) for 256 yards with cotton swabs crammed up his nose. When they performed surgery on it, the doctor told him the bone looked like rice crispies. He was punched in the face by Richard Seymour. He is playing in a special shoe because he has what is said by some to be a broken bone in his foot.

If hitting Roethlisberger rattled him, the Steelers would have went 4-12, not 12-4. The Steelers line gets Ben hit every game. From 2007-2009, Ben lead the NFL in sacks taken. It was over 45 a season.

Hit him. He will get right back up and if you give him 3 seconds, he will crush you.

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

If the OP is right and field position is the key to the Steelers' success, then Weatherford needs to have a big game, and he has played like shit throughout the playoffs so far.

13. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The Steelers offensive line is really a mess and the Ravens hit Ben non-stop this weekend. The Jets will put Revis on Ward - who was invisible in their previous meeting only getting targeted 3 times, Cro will get Wallace with deep safety help. The need to contain Heath Miller who didn't play in the last game, but they did a great job against the TEs in New England. The big thing is to stop the Steelers from running the ball...they had over 100 yards in the previous meeting so this week they need to make the Steelers one dimensional on offense.

You will hear all week about Troy not playing in the previous meeting, but did you see him against the Ravens? That's right nope! No way he is even close to 100%...he is missing the explosion and the power that makes him so scary.

The Ravens gave that game away and were the better team that lost. We match up well with the Steelers all over the field and just can't give points away like the Ravens did.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

You forgot the women fighting him off as he rapes them two years in a row. That's the toughest son of a bitch I've ever met.

15. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

in all fairness, that Steeler-Raven game was extremely sloppy on both sides as far as turnovers go, All Ravens pts were basically off of short fields too. But I do think that's where the Jets have an edge here in this game as far as who's more likely to make more mistakes.

16. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Our front 4 did an excellent job in containment on Brady, he never even thought about scrambling all day. Gotta be disciplined and do the same with Ben.

Cover, contain, and make open field tackles. Bump the shit out of Miller and the WR's, disrupt their timing. We can go with some of the plan from last week and throw in some run stuffing options.

17. BlackjackGold

BlackjackGold New Member

The only thing an outsider to either the Steelers or the ratbirds will learn about either team from watching them go head to head is who can hit and who can take a hit.

:)

18. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

I am somewhat worried that Sexchez comes to town early and tries to take his amateur rape allegations to the pro level.

Maybe Cromartie can just line them up with some of his baby's mamas.

Hell, Stonio can provide the smoke.

Braylon Edwards can bring the drinks.

The coach can show them how if they give you a foot, he can take a mile.

To keep anyone from getting arrested, the training staff can build a wall so no one can get outside the lines.

We can do this all day.

19. Trust in Rex

Trust in Rex New Member

The thing I think we have do to close them out is all those 3rd and longs he always seems to convert in big situations continuing a drive at the end of the game. He seems like he will sit in the pocket without the internal clock going off like Brady did. It seemed like the longer he was looking, the more uncomfortable TB was pressure or not

20. Neelz

Neelz New Member

One thing the Jets DBS did very well in the first matchup is hold the back of the jersey of the Steelers receivers. Cromartie did it several times to Wallace, which was his best chance to contain him. He was only flagged once.

Lowery held the back of the jersey of Sanders when he was in position to glide under a TD pass. Nothing was called.

If the referees allow them to do it again, the Jets might have a chance of containing the offense a little.

If they are not allowed to do it, which I hope they aren't, since it is against the rules, then the Steelers will move the ball.