Ticket Strategies (do not read if you believe in jinxs)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kinggofg, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Please don't read this thread if you believe in jinx to the team. I just want to have a serious economic discussion of Jets tickets for the Superbowl.

I know its not a lock that we beat the Steelers, but if we do, I know I and a lot of the folks on here would love to go to Dallas.

The question is, is it worth it to buy the tickets now? the current going price for regular old crappy seats for the game on stubhub is: $3000 a ticket. (I would probably buy them off ebay, and save a little, but lets use the stubhub price as the benchmark).

Possible outcomes:
    1. Jets vs. Chicago: This is the worst case scenario. If you don't buy tickets now I think you will see prices at an ALL time high. I can imagine tickets going for $6000 a piece or more.
    2. Jets vs. Greenbay: I think given greenbay's loyal following, this will still be pretty insane in price. I think they still go up just not as much.
    3. Steelers vs. Chicago: I still think this is two reasonably large markets. I think prices still go up a tiny bit or not at all.
    4. Steelers vs Greenbay: I thinik this is the loser scenario. Neither team will generate enough fans willing to shell out the cash. I think prices drop down.

So assuming you want to go to the game. Should you buy tix now or wait. Seems like now is a good idea as in all but one of the 3 above scenarios I expect prices to climb. I'm wondering how much you would lose reselling in scenarios 3 and 4. I'm also worried about the hassels involved in selling $6000 worth of tickets.

Any thought from the forum?

Who else would go, no matter what, to the game?

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

You wouldn't lose a dime buying those tickets right now. Prices will almost always go up near the start of the event. Its like buying it on early bird right now.

3. WWWestonC

WWWestonC New Member

We're discussing this now in the Jets Experience forum. Most who have gone through this last year disagree with this idea.

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

super bowl tix are already at 2900 a pop on stubhub. crazyness

5. Fakterx

Fakterx New Member

Wouldn't you rather spend your money on season tickets for next year? I bought mine off ebay for $1900 and had 2 great seats the entire season. Superbowl would be great, but that is a REALLY expensive one day event, especially not even knowing the Jets will be there.

6. numbah58

numbah58 New Member

You mean to tell me that Steeler fans don't travel well? Umm if the Steelers are in the SB they will be represented very well.

7. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Or you could become friends with one of the referees and get free super bowl tickets....like my uncle.

8. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

I don't think you realize the pent-up demand for Jets super bowl tickets. You guys went just 2 years ago. Jets haven't been there in 42 years. However many you have, there will be at least double that number if the Jets make it.

9. numbah58

numbah58 New Member

I'm not questioning the fact that your fanbase will show up in droves if you get to the SB. My point was that Steeler Nation shows up everywhere.

10. MoLewisSoNasty

MoLewisSoNasty New Member

What's the best way to get the cheapest possible tickets for the Super Bowl? Craigslist? Stubhub? Scalp outside stadium?

11. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

im about to buy... question- is it luck of the draw whether or not you land in a jets block of fans or not?

12. perfectpackage99

If I were you I would wait, it is a hassle selling those tickets.

13. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Copy that. 17a and me got our hands burned seriously last year.

14. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Im thinking my new strategy is to have stubhub open during the game. itl be like a game of chicken. when Im confident we will win I buy.

This would work better if we were the early game.

if we lose ill be heartbroken and the last thing i would want to do is unload tix.

15. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Its not about travelling. its about the pent up demand and the number of people willing to take out a second mortgage to buy tix.

plus nyc has a little bit more money than pittsburgh.
    http://www.forbes.com/static_html/rich400/2004/distmap/indexFla.shtml

16. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

this is like the argument to buy a really nice tv instead of season tix. guess what i have a really nice tv already. and when i could go to games i had season tix.

17. King Chadwick I

King Chadwick I New Member

I would warn very strongly against buying tickets in advance. My brother, dad, and I did this last year and got burned for it to the tune of a $1000 loss per ticket. The possibility that the Jets will make the Super Bowl is priced into the tickets NOW, meaning that the prices will go down if they don't make it. Also, if you buy from a reputable source like StubHub, you pay a fee for buying and a fee for selling. It's like 15% for buying and 10% for selling or something like that, which eats a huge chunk of your money. If the Jets make it, great, you've got tickets. But if they don't, do not think you are going to break even. You will lose money.

18. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Doesnt Cowboys stadium have that SRO party area? Wouldnt mind doing that. Its gotta be cheaper.

19. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

are we at a disadvantage as the late game..will bears and packers fans snatch em up before we get a chance?

20. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

I think its a dam shame the real die hard fans can't go the game. I live three hrs from Dallas, and was planning oni going but I'm not about to mortgage my families future in going.