Jets-Steelers AFC Championship discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vorrecht, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Yes but their run defense is still solid as ever. Two of the great defensive minds going at it in Sunday. It will be a real treat.

2. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

HA HA only took him five post too.:rofl::rofl:
    Thanks mods.

3. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

Does this whole board struggle with reading comprehension. I never stated this was a "world beating unstoppable rushing offense". I stated we ran better than the Pats and we run differently than the Pats. The fact that our RB ran for 46 yards on 20 carries should show the difference in the level of commitment. The Steelers main runningback was averaging less than 3 yards per carry and they continued to run into that wall. The Patriots would NEVER do that. Ever. In fact, if they had SOME type of running game yesterday, it may have helped stem that pass rush.

And, no offense, but when the Steelers and Ravens play, you can forget about rankings. The Ravens held Mendenhall to 46 yards. He ran for 99 on the Jets. You suddenly think they are going to quit running when he was 1 yard from 100 last meeting?

And, for the LAST time, the Steelers OL is not decimated. Adams was ill and it progressed during the game. Roethlisberger stated he could barely stand at halftime because he was sick. He will be fine on Sunday. Scott was injured but returned and finished the game. They will start the SAME line that allowed Mendenhall to run for 99 yards.

It is not. At one time, they ran when they wanted to run. Now, they are not quite that fierce, but they will still commit to it and you have to stop it. They will not quit running and become one dimensional like the Pats did. And, this weaker rushing attack had 146 yards rushing on the Jets earlier this season. Mendenhall had 99 alone.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Okay, but the Colts were a great team last year. I don't see how you can consider Pittsburgh a better team. Remember the Dolphins game? or the Bills game? Wins, but terrible performances. This team was closer to 9-7 than 14-2. The Colts should have been 16-0. Also, they were a terrible matchup for the Jets. The Steelers this year are still great, but a better matchup than last year's game. Thats all my original post said. And also that the Jets are clearly better than last year. I think you took offense to it, but its hard to argue from your side.

5. Neelz

Neelz New Member

I tell you what, I hope you guys are not mad at me. I am a Steelers fan and I love the pre-game trash-talking almost as much as the game itself. It is all in good fun. Suffice it to say the Steeler fans who are posting on here have a more detailed and nuanced understanding of the Steeler team, just as the Jets fans have of the Jets team. I know who Santonio Holmes is, since he played on the Steelers and I know who Darrelle Revis is since he played at the University of Pittsburgh. I know Braylon Edwards, played with Cleveland etc.

Honestly I thought Revis was an outstanding player at Pitt and I thought he would be in the top 10 corners in the NFL, I am a little surprised he as ascended to the top of the heap though. Holmes is a top talent but I think he is still smokin' ganga just like when he was with Pittsburgh. He makes some great plays, then drops some right in his hands.

Both sides are confident as they should be. Just as most of the Jets fans seem to think the Jets will roll the Steelers, there are just as many Steelers fans who think the Jets are made for the Steelers and will roll them.

Some of my thoughts are that I was not surprised that the Jets beat New England. They have outstanding corners and overall defensive talent. They had a good gameplan and executed well. Congrats. The Jets fans who think the Patriots have more offensive talent than the Steelers. I don't agree. The Patriots have a great trigger man in Brady and offensive planning that maximizes their talent. I don't think many of their players make the Steelers frankly. Steelers have young speedsters in Brown and Sanders. Roethlisberger steps his game up in the post-season. If the Steelers don't spot the Jets any points I think the Steeler offense has more firepower than Jets fans think, although I know you strongly disagree.

I have watched Sanchez and I mostly don't think he is that good of a passer. He is very good with his feet and elusive. In spurts he makes some big time throws, so he can't be taken lightly. But he doesn't scare me and I think Big Ben is better than him.

Greene is a rugged and tough runner. I like him a lot. Tomlinson's better days are behind him.

Evander Hood on defense is someone the Jets fans are probably not familiar with. Young D-Lineman, No. 1 draft pick is really picking up his game at the right time. Troy did not have an outstanding game against Baltimore but he doesn't play outstanding every game. He still could be a factor.

I don't know if the Pittsburgh O-line is quite a shambles. It seems to be improving toward the later part of the season. Flozell the Hotel was sick in the Baltimore game but he should be well this weekend. Pouncey is a pro-bowler.

So some seem to be saying that Baltimore just played poorly and gave the game away? The competition makes you play poorly. Baltimore played well against KC's defense but that defense didn't put anywhere near the stress on them that Pittsburgh's did.

So that is my story. Love all the fans. Have a good game.

6. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

Yep, I expect a very low scoring affair. Like I stated earlier, if someone breaks 20, they win.

The upside for the Steelers, they have some balance, so maybe they can chug out some first downs, flip the field, and get to Sanchez.

7. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Ok. I wouldn't dispute that. I still think the main offensive success for the Steelers depends on Rothlesberger. I actually think he and Sanchez are similar in their ability to make plays on the move. Except Rothlesberger is much better right now. If he doesn't get killed 1st.

I think he's one of the top 5 QBs in the league.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't think any Jets fan thinks the game will be easy. I personally feel it is a better matchup than Indianapolis in their dome and New England on the road though. At least from a defensive scheme side. Offensively it will be harder, as Pittsburgh's D is by far the best we have seen in the playoffs, including last year's.

9. 6timechamps

6timechamps Banned

Special teams and turnovers are HUGE in games like these. The last time we played the Jets you guys were spotted 7 points on the opening kickoff. And you als got a safety. 9 free points. Obviously that contributed a lot to your win. Sanchez doesn't scare me. He is OK. I know you Jets fans are praying and hoping he is your savior because it is not easy finding a franchise qb. I don't need to say anything about Big Ben except that he is 9-2 in playoff games and he is FEARLESS. You can break his nose, sucker punch him, sack him 6 times, give him late hits and he will STILL tear your heart out with a big play. Sanchez= game manager
    Ben= game changer

It's gonna be a great game.

10. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Weird - I didn't realize that they gave us that runback for a TD. It looked like people were trying to tackle Smith.

Same with the safety- looks like they were trying to make a play and got burned pretty badly. But thanks for the 9 points. That's a classy thing for the steelers to give up- y'know, just to keep the game competitive. That's why you're the champs.

I think you left one out though- you guys gave us that bootleg run for an easy touchdown to keep the game close. Otherwise there would have been some outside containment. We totally don't deserve that.

All the points you guys scored were classy championship terrible towel 6 ring points. Not going to argue that.

Yeah, Ben is fearless- his motorcycle wreck with no helmet proves that, but was wondering if you guys ever have any reason to question his intelligence, like the rest of the NFL?

Looking forward to the game, and hopefully we'll be lucky enough to get some of those free points you guys give away- The Ravens were so lucky to pick up that ball on the fumble in the Ravens game for a free TD too,

Cheers!

#210 James Calvin, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Biggest key to this game is Nick Folk.

12. mattbrw08

mattbrw08 Banned

Hey guys, Steeler fan here joining your forum. Both teams seem pretty confident going into this game should be a real nail-biter. Though one thing i wanna throw out there, I dont have the exact statistic, but Troy Polamalu is something like 15-0 when facing a QB for the first time in the last 5 years. And let me remind you, this is Sanchez's first.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The Jets never won in Pittsburgh

Bill Belichick and the Patriots never lost a divisional rd game after getting a bye during the wild card round

No team has ever won back to back road games in OT

I also don't think a team has ever lost a game like we did against New England and then come back to beat them in the playoffs. Shit I don't think anybody has ever come within 10 pts

Point is, the Jets have done things that have never been done before all year.

#213 ace_o_spades, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  14. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

So it seemed like the Ravens were getting to Roethlisberger and had control of this game until they started being careless. Limit the turnovers, get pressure ala last Sunday, and I like our chances.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think this game will be tougher than both of the first two. It should be doozy.

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

exceptional response!

Great work. The Jets have been knocking down barriers and becoming the first to have done _________________ in history. Or since 2002. The Jets are doing things that has never been done, which of course is why we are as extremely confident going into the game as we are.

Pittsburgh Delenda Est.

17. 6timechamps

6timechamps Banned

I didn't mean to infer that we gave you 9 free points. I'm sure you're smart enough to figure that out. What I meant was that you didn't have any long sustained drives to get those points. Just like the td in the pittsburgh Ravens game. 7 points because Ben gets hit, fumbles the ball and everybody stands around like statues,

18. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I know we were all happy to beat Pitt, but the fact is our defense gave up almost 400 yards in that game ... Including 140 on the ground. We hung on for dear life to save the victory, but I bet Big Ben gets it done 7 out of 10 times in that situation. We were very fortunate to get that W.

Our offense scored when it had to, but we only got in the endzone once. That won't be good enough this time. If we only score once on offense you can bet your life our guys will be cleaning out their lockers on Monday afternoon.

Beating NE was great but we can't afford an ounce of letdown.
    Hopefully our guys will all be back to work and totally focused first thing Tuesday morning.

I think we have the better team, and we should win this game ... but Better not sleep on the Steelers.

19. BlackjackGold

BlackjackGold New Member

Actually, it is 9 outta 11 times that he gets it done.

:)

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I am sorry, but I refuse to believe any team can take anybody lightly at this point in the season. You are 1 game from the super bowl. How the hell can you allow yourself to sleep on an opponent? How can you, as a player or coach, not prepare 200% to go out and win this game? If you are exhausted and nearly worthless Monday who gives a shit? you are either going home, or you get a week off to get healthy for the super bowl.

I'm sure it has happened that teams have been underestimated, but how can you possibly allow yourself to do that?