Can we expect more Ravens to become Jets this off season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Initially I wasnt going to make a thread for this since everyone is so concentrated on sunday, but alot of significant things this week made me feel its relevant.

First off weve all saw how much players love Rex. Guys like Scott Leonhard Pryce all came here just because of Rex and Scott made that clear more than ever this week (And Ray Lewis clearly wished Rex brought him here)

Next you saw on Saturday how frustrated the players on the Ravens were with their team. Ray Lewis pretty much blamed his offense for saturdays loss and the window on that team is closing incredibly fast (their WRs are all incredibly old, the heart and soul of that defense in Reed/Lewis are so close to retirement)

Willis Mcgahee was already pretty much told that unless he takes a massive pay cut hes gone (aka hes as good as cut), its hard to guess how much money hes going to command but he another hb who will be turning 30 (albeit well rested)

Fabian Washington also posted on twitter making it sound like hes gone as well.

McClain has been cheering that hes now an UFA (yes literally saying "Finally UFA"), obv theres no chance of him ending up here.

But it just seems like that team really is falling apart (the youngest of their top 3 wrs is 31)

With our position in the draft already looking quite weak (first pick being in the 30s likely 32) and no second round pick im strongly strongly expecting Rex to do some serious recruiting of Baltimore guys. Especially since cb/hb could be two positions well want depth at (Cromartie possibly gone, lowery converted to safety, lt/trich possibly retired) but likely be unable to draft

I know its super early to be talking FA, but the situation is definitely interesting.

2. tinmanjetsfan

tinmanjetsfan Member

I don't think we go after any Ravens guys. They're a good time, but who would we want that we could get?

3. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Ngata would be wonderful. But that aint happening. Ed Reed could probably ask out if tehy rebuild.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well I jacked this list of of one of their forums, it had some of their shit recievers on it but there would be 0 interest or need in getting any of them

fabian washington -
    Leron Mcclain-
    Matt Birk
    chris carr -
    josh wilson -
    Gathier-
    Yanda Marshall
    Tom Zbikowski
    Haruki Nakamura

Im not saying theyll all be targets but theres a ton of guys for the picking, and the situation in Baltimore honestly doesnt look well.

5. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

The only guys I would want the Jets to get their hands on from the Ravens are Ngata and Reed. Everyone else I do not really care for, but I highly doubt those guys would even be available.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think our priority is to find a way to resign Edwards, Holmes, Harris and Cromartie. After that is done I doubt we will have money for anyone new other than league minimum players.

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ngata has 1 year left on his contract i believe which is perfect.

Means well actually might have a legit chance ($$$ wise) to target him when hes on the open market in a year, of course that assumes he wouldnt rape us $$$ wise so that he could play for rex

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Unless Suggs, Ngata and/or Reed are available I'm not interested. And none of those 3 will be available so...

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

there are only a handful of guys over there that we would want that we don't have comparable players too.

Dawan Landry
    Haloti Ngata
    Terrell Suggs
    Ray Rice

Those are really the only guys we really could use. Landry is the most likely of the 4 to come free this off season (as in there is no way in hell the 3 come less, Landry at least has a chance.)

but our biggest offseason priority is to sign our own guys. Once we do that, we can worry about offseason acquisitions. But our biggest holes are pass rushers and youth along the DL and an elite safety.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Thats the point these Ravens guys arent big ticket items.

Since we likely cant afford big money guys, wed have to settle for players who are either frustrated on their teams or love rex (and arent commanding big $$$)

Thats why the Ravens are perfect since they have a combination of huge frustation and have played for Rex in the past.

Not to mention they have 2 good cornerbacks available so if we lose Cromartie it becomes infinitely important to look their way.

If we got Chris Carr id consider that an awesosme FA move, but that would only happen if Cromartie is gone and we moved Wilson into the #2 slot

11. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Ngata Ngata, Love My Ngata.

Can't help but get that song in my head.

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I dont get the people with the attitude of "unless its a superstar I dont care"

We are going to have holes to fill on both sides of the ball. And since well be pretty limited in the draft (especially if we trade up which we always seem to do) we HAVE to sign free agents.

And we cant afford to sign "big name superstar xxx" which means we HAVE to get roleplayers who will fit into our system.

I mean you guys wanna draft de, draft a lb, well then how are we going to replace lt/trich/cromartie (yes I know we have Conner but then well go from 5 hbs/fb to 3) (and Cromartie gone and Lowery as Safety leaves another hole @ corner) if they retire or are let go ? We NEED free agents, this is a necessity.

13. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

You really want to sign Ravens players just because they are Ravens?

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

No because a bunch of those guys are good players famiilar with our coach and our system.

I think Carr is an absolute stud nickle back.

I think Fabian Washington has some serious speed/playmaking ability but has been hindered by injuries.

McGahee is a great short yardage back as well.

Im not suggesting that we target ALL of those guys, I just listed their free agents.

15. hazmat

hazmat New Member

How can we possibly think about signing other teams free agents when the following guys may be UFA:

Holmes
    Braylon
    Cromatie
    Harris
    Brad Smith
    Eric Smith
    Wayne Hunter
    Brodney Pool

16. System

System New Member

Would love Tom Zbikowski, big fan of my polish brethren

He could play safety, return punts, and play special teams. And he's a guy whose not afraid to get physical.

17. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

if ngata makes it to FA i could see the jets making a play for him otherwise i dont see the jets chasing ravens

ed reed could be a possibility if he tries to force his way out but i doubt that happens

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Because those guys are all expensive, and assuming there is a salary cap we might need to go cheaper @ some positions (esp if we wanna keep Braylon/Holmes)

For instance I wouldnt be shocked to see Cromartie gone so Wilson can step into the #2 slot and then we grab a free agent corner to help fill in some of that corner depth.

We have other positions that need to be addressed other than the ones listed above

19. Makia

Makia Banned

Like to get some Steelers and Patriots.

20. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Rex likes zbikowski. I could definitely see him being a jet next year.