Defensively; How will we play Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Keithnyj, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

We Beat the Steelers a few weeks back, and had a pretty good outing in all 3 phases of the game (Offense, Defense, and S.T.)

The Steelers have 2 players this game that they did not have the last game.
    One of which is Bens Favorite targets in Heath Miller.

With Ben playing his best when he is outside of the pocket, and having Heath Miller back, Do you feel as though we will see a lot of blitz packages or will we just rush 4 most of the game

Regardless, Rex Will have an excellent game plan, and Im not really worried, I just wanted to hear your opinions.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well we just contained Hernandez and gronkowski... so I think we can handle Miller.

I am more worried about polamalu. he may not be 100% but 45% of troy is better than 100% of probably 70% of the rest of the NFl safeties...

We are going to need to play lights out on defense and we need to bring our running game and short passing game like we did in pitt earlier in the year to win this game.

3. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh's Oline is very banged up, defense needs to dominate

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

their OL is in shambles, correct me if i am wrong, but aren't they on OT # 7 now? We need to get pressure on ben early and often, using the 3-4 man rush, and the blitzes we have become so accustmed to the past two years.

5. iTzPoPPaBeaR

iTzPoPPaBeaR Member

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time"

but seriously... What?

6. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

I continue to read where the Steelers offensive line is in shambles, when the Jets will face the same offensive line they faced 4 weeks ago. The Steelers lost Willie Colon before the season ever kicked off and Flozell Adams has started every game at RT. Starks was lost after week 7 and Scott has played LT for 9 weeks.

Against the Ravens, Adams left the game with an illness. He went in at halftime and did not return. I doubt he even makes the injury report. Later, Scott went down with an injury, but he returned and finished the game at LT. The Jets will face the same line they played a month ago consisting of Scott, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster, and Adams. That line allowed 3 sacks and Mendenhall ran for 99 yards.

Is the line the weak point for the Steelers? Absolutely, but they have won with that line. The thing is, the 2008 Steelers line was not any better.

As for the last meeting, your offense scored one TD all game. I never like to count returns when I look forward because they are almost a perfect storm type of situation and the Steelers know they have kickoff issues, so they have made adjustments to take away the long returns. They will, more than likely, squib kick it short and give up field position, putting it in the defenses hands, over allowing a score on a return. To win this one, your offense will have to beat our defense.

7. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, I agree our O will need to beat your D with Troy back. I think they can if like today Sanchez can spread the ball around to all three receivers. They are a tough match up and when Sanchez is on it makes our run game more effective.

These teams are simular in the fact that both D's are the strengths of the teams and the O is the questions mark.

8. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I think there will be non-stop pressure. The o-line is their biggest weakness on offense, so the plan will be to abuse them and put the rapist on his back. If that happens, the Jets will win easily.

If it doesn't, the corners will just take away their 3 weapons, and Harris and Bart will take out Mendenhall...

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

They were in bad shape. Can't remember when it happened, but the Steelers brought in someone from the bench to play tackle & I think the announcers stated that the Steelers have nobody left on the bench who can play on the O-Line.

Not sure if Steelers will have some of the injured O-Lineman coming back for this weekend's game relatively healthy though. First time in a long time, I'm eager to read the injury reports.

10. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

The Steelers brought in Trai Essex off the bench to play right tackle because Adams was ill. Then, when Scott went down, they had to flip Essex to LT, move guard Ramon Foster to RT, and bring in Legursky at right guard. That was it, he was the LAST lineman we had. The Steelers dressed 7 and lost Adams to illness and lost Scott a series or two. Once Scott came back in, they flipped Essex to RT, moved Foster back inside, and carried on.

Really, this is being made out to be more than it is. It is not like this line has been a moat with alligators that stop everything coming its way. In fact, it has been more like those sliding doors you see at supermarkets. The thing is, it is the same line that your defense did not abuse last outing. Three sacks is a low water mark for this line. And, when you think Mendenhall almost cracked 100 yards on you....I just do not see this defense tearing the line apart.

The Steelers offense has changed a lot since the last meeting, mainly because of the emergence of the two rookie WRs, Sanders and Brown. They have also employed the 3-step drop and quick passing game to negate some of the pass rush.

I truly like the Steelers defensive matchup in this game. They held both of your RBs to 49 and 40 yards last meeting. The Steelers were without Polamalu and had Ryan Mundy starting. The Steelers won't stay back in coverage this game. In fact, they alway ratchet it up in the playoffs.

11. Spike

Spike New Member

Ben won't fall down when he's touched with a feather like Brady.

Poor Tom looked like he was going to cry when his uniform got all dirty.

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Show blitz but don't blitz.

Shut down the run.

13. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I thought our Defense was pretty wretched towards the end of the game. They stood tall when it counted though.

The Steelers receivers are pretty good. Wallace concerns me but I'm hoping Revis can smother him.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Not against the Jets. So your point is?

15. TMC4REAL

TMC4REAL Banned

My point is, it is not as big an issue as everyone is making it out to be.

Bring what you have. The Steelers are as healthy right now as they have been at ANY point this season and may very well get Aaron Smith for this game.

They know how to play in the big games. Does Sanchez?

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about how the Jets play against their D. They CAN stop a nosebleed.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think 4-1 in postseason on the road speaks for itself

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Nope, Sanchez is what, 4-1 in the playoffs? Clearly has no clue how to win playoff games.

I love how Steeler fans ignore week 15 completely, like it didn't happen. I love how they ignore what the Jets have done in the playoffs and think this is a given.

If the Steelers win, it will be by a fg, at most. The Jets can blow the Steelers out because they can literally stop everything that the Steelers do on offense, and throw on a pretty mediocre Steelers secondary.

19. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

on that mushy field, the OL isn't that much of an issue because it's so hard for the DL to dig in and/or get a rush.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Why in the fuck would your dumb ass opine about Sanchez being clutch? :

You calling Sanchez clutch is like Hitler saying he likes Jews ..........Fraud!