Keys to finding our rythm on O early in the game!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoBa18, Jan 12, 2011.

1. MoBa18

MoBa18 Member

To me it seems that our O and Sanchez in particular has struggled to get going early in the game.

I was wondering what we could do to change that and prevent that we fall behind by more than a TD early in the game.
    As a 'ground n' pound' team we figure to become more and more succesful with the run as the game goes on wearing down their D. This would greatly improve our chances.

So what could we do to get our O and #6 into a rythm early on? - during the Saints game it was mentioned that they draw up their first series beforehand allowing players to talk about and study the plays in the runup to the game. Me personally, I also like the idea of symplifying our O at the start - running the ball, short passes (slants, screens etc.) and maybe few plays out of the wildcat.

Just intersted in your guy's opinions on that!!

2. ibergu

ibergu Member

Definitely think we'll come out running the ball. I think the real question is if we win the coin toss, whether we defer or not? I think I would take the ball first.

3. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I really don't like the phrase "finding a rhythm on offense." Its too abstract of a saying in my opinion. Not getting on you for saying it or anything, its just one of my little personal pet peeves. What gives you "rhythm"? GAINING YARDS and GETTING FIRST DOWNS. I just think when you say that they "have no rhythm" it takes the focus off of the most important thing their offense has to do to succeed...run the ball consistently and pick up first downs to keep the D on the sideline.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Interesting that they had their first series mapped out. I think Walsh did the same thing w/ his Niner teams. Something like the fist 15-20 plays were already called before the game started & the results would determine their playcalling for the rest of the game.

==
    As for the Jets, I think Bruschi nailed it. In that second game, going w/ all those receivers & hurry up was a disaster. Don't follow other team offense successful strategies.

Just run & short pass & burn clock. Try to make sure the Pats don't run away w/ the game in first quarter. Something similar to the Colts game in second half where Rex stayed w/ the run even after the Colts stacked the box. Don't stray away from running because the box is stacked but wait until the D can actually stuff it. This is my ideal scenario but I don't think it'll be that easy.

BB knows the Jets & his D is much stronger than the Colts D. I'm expecting him to stuff the run early & force Sanchez to beat them. I'd expect him to have his DB jumping on short routes at random times just to mess w/ Sanchez's head. For the Pats, a defensive gameplan that requires Sanchez to be accurate & consistently making good reads would be smart.

5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

This seems to be a pretty common practice among coaches. Even my H.S. coach would map out a series or two of plays before the games.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Someone needs to toss a hand grenade into the Pats' tunnel as they're being announced.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Just trick him into thinking there's 2 minutes left and we're down 4. That should result in a quick TD.

8. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Moving the ball down the field and scoring touchdowns.

9. osully55

osully55 Member

gotta take the ball first. this game will most likely be a shootout.

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Run it, until they stop it. Been saying it all season.

11. wvutime5

wvutime5 Member

starting off with quick slant routes to gain 5-6 yards on first down will make life a lot easier

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Very simple - the Jets CANNOT go another week not scoring a 1st quarter TD. It has been what -10 games since they have put up 7 in the first on offense (not a Brad Smith return).

You need to play with a lead from the jump on Sunday.

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

See I dont agree with this. I think that having Bill the pats can dial up better defensive schemes which can make their D "better" then the colts, but skill level wise I do NOT think the pats have a better D then the colts.

Mayo = Brackett

Chung < Bethea

Wilfork > Johnson or Muir

Pryor/Warren < Mathis/Freeney (by a lot)

as far as the rest of the supporting cast for each team they're about on par, but I do think that we can play the pats D just like we did the colts.

I'm sure your also right about DB's trying to jump short routes and I wouldn't be suprized if we set them up for this and have Santonio fake a short route with a double move for acouple big strikes giving us a bit more cushion and better running lanes, we're going to have to keep them honest on D.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

key 1:

Mangold + Wilfork = Wilfork thrown out of the way + Shonn Green 5 yards downfield :smile:

15. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

DEFNITELY the key matchup of the game when the Jets have the ball. And I don't expect to hear about it too much on the pre-game shows because the national coverage is f'n awful. That's why I stick to my boy Ray Lucas on SNY (I would say Adam Schein too but his voice is just too annoying, although he makes some good points).

16. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Must take the ball first. Have to limit Tom and Company's time on the field in every way possible. If they get an early lead......... if any team ever gets an early lead.

17. HighFlyingJets

I strongly disagree.

Playoff games are usually won during the 2nd half of games, there is no way in hell I'd ever ever give a QB such as Manning or Brady a chance to score with back to back drives. A TD at the end of the 2nd quarter, followed by an opening drive TD for Brady & the Pats to start off the 2nd half would be a disaster.

I don't wanna see Brady & NE starting off the 2nd half with the ball. After having a chance to see our defensive game plan during the entire 1st half, they'll have a much better understanding of our defensive game plan heading into the 2nd half, when compared to the opening drive of the 1st Q.

Just look at the Colts game; that opening drive TD during the 3rd quarter changed the game.

Plus, Sanchez has been known to start off slow. He usually gets going during the 2nd half.

18. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I would have no problem with seeing them defer, and having them try to set the tempo on defense. To me, they don't even have to force a 3 and out, just forcing a punt will give this offense a boost before they even take a snap.

Run the ball up the middle with 23. Can't stress it enough. To me LT is still useful in this game as a blocking back on third downs that can escape to a flat, and as a change of pace. But in a game that promises to be physical, you have to go with your bruiser early and often.

They've had success running the football against the Patsies. Keep it going and keep that uggs wearing Beiber haired faggot on the sideline. He can't point to the sidelines after a touchdown if he isn't on the field.

19. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

All teams script out their first 20 or so plays far in advance of the game.

The key is execution. Meaning, go out there and execute somebody.

20. Fightfan

Fightfan Banned

I agree with this for both teams. I hope that if the Patriots win the toss they take the ball first too! Key for both teams is to get a fast start!