Cromartie to be primary returner vs Pats?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Montana, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Thank you for making your sarcasm a little easier to pick up on :)

It's a little bit of column A, little of column B, of course.

Smith's got a great eye for gaps, as evidenced by his fairly successful wildcat prowess.

2. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Smith would have to be inactive for Cromartie to take over full time. I can just imagine Cro fumbling one.

3. albano12

albano12 New Member

Smith can't return it if he isn't 100%, I know that it was immediately after the injury, but in the beginning of the second half, when he came back he had a roughly 10 yard return; lets say he was at 50%. After a week of work, depending on the severity, he could be at roughly 80% or so. As we saw on Saturday, Cromartie did phenomenal. In my opinion, if Cromartie continues to return kicks like he did Saturday, he should be the returner, even if Smith is roughly 90%. I know a lot of you will disagree, but that final return was key to the game winning drive, and I feel he did as good as Smith, maybe better.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

This is a good move if Smith is injured. I'd rather see Smith limited to the wildcat if we're still asking him to run run for us. We're going to need it against the Patriots and h's the only one we have who can run the option out of it.

I wish we had a better(less risky) option than Cro but whoever gets the spot for this game has to get it because they are a threat, not because we can afford to see them get injured.

New England delenda est.

5. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

As long as Cro can avg 40+ per return like he did in Indy im fine with it

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

No way Cro should be returning if Brad Smith is ready to go. Jets are going to need every DB they can throw out there to keep up w/ all of Brady's targets. If Cro takes a big hit from returning a kick, the defense is going to take a huge hit.

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

If Smith is healthy this is a no brainer. OF COURSE Smith should return the kicks. He has 3 TD's in 74 returns for us ... and all three are in his last 21 games prior to the injury. Want to guess how may TD's Cro has in his career? If you said one, that's one too many. Smith is the better return man.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Come on that is a little simplistic don't you think?

It's not like Cromartie has a zillion kick returns. Sproles returned kicks in San Diego, plus he didn't have Westhoff as a coach.

You could have said the same thing about Smith prior to Leon getting hurt and subsequently leaving.

I would rather McKnight return the kicks. I don't think I want the Jets #2 CB returning kicks in this game.

Edit: To be clear Smith is the better option if healthy.....no dispute.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

McKnight hasn't been a return threat in his reps this season. Cro was a threat in his one rep. As much as I'd love to see McKnight bust one open for a big gain, we're going to need production out of our kick returner. Cro has a better chance of providing that.

Now if we were talking punt returns, McKnight would be a definite threat.

New England delenda est.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Re: McKnight

I can't find his return stats so I can't say exactly how many he has and what his #'s are.

Again I am going with the premise that it is Westhoff's scheme more than anything that allows for big returns. He can be a threat either way on KR's or PR's.

Again, I am saying it because I am not cool with the Jets #2 CB being the kick returner.

Is Cro more dynamic than J. McKnight yes. However, every time the Jets have needed a new returner, Westhoff seems to pull one out of his ass.

#50 Miamipuck, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. HighFlyingJets

I want my team at full strength, which means; I want Brad Smith as our kick returner come Sunday.

I also love what Cromartie can do as a kick returner, but if Cro is back there returning kicks, it's obvious that Brad Smith isn't 100%. Brad Smith not playing at 100% could become a huge break for the Patriots, because Brad can make big times plays under center, as well as keeping that NE defense off balance when showing our wildcat formation.

When I think of Cromartie as our kick returner, I think of those two 40+ yarf returns against Indy. When I think of Smith, I think of the return for a TD against Pittsburgh on the opening kick off. Win-win situation in my eyes. The only downside with Cro is risking an injury. Brady would love that. Cromartie is way too important to the success of our defense this week against Brady and the Patriots.

Morton, Miller, Leon, Smith, Cromartie... Thank you Westhoff. I'm extremely confident with either or.

With all that said, I hope to see Smith; for more reasons than one.

12. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

It's the playoffs, I say go with the hot hand. Cromartie should get at least half the KRs.

13. tatur

tatur New Member

Smith is the best option, if he is ok. Cromartie did a good return last game, but Smith did it all the season.

14. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

this, if cro gets hurt, we lose!

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

cro did not have one great return, he had two ... as an eariler poster said, cro is too valuable to the D and thats why he doesnt return kicks. not because brad smith is THAT much better than him

i have no problem with this move, especially if b smith is < 100%

16. Zcore

Zcore New Member

Unless Brad Smith is not 100%. Putting Cromartie in a position to get hurt (KNOCK ON WOOD)

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It appears that you don't have the foggiest clue about the difference between speed and quickness.

It also appears that the 'point' in your username is describing the top of your head.

Edit: By the way, if the Jets have Cromartie ras primary KR, and the Jets actually score at some point, Cro will be injured before the second half. That's how Belichick rolls. See: Donald Strickland.

#57 abyzmul, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

seriously? SERIOUSLY?

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Unfortunately this is an indicator of Smith's groin injury. Having a key player on defense returning kicks against a pass heavy team is a risky proposition, but in a game like this it's all hands on deck and big plays need to come from wherever they can.

Ever pull a groin muscle? it sucks, and can linger for awhile. Hopefully it wasn't that serious and he'll be good to go by gametime, and this is a bit of "gamesmanship". :shit:

20. pointman

pointman New Member

You went on the offensive with that weak wit. I never went at you. Its OK. You'll be alright.