Luck not declaring for draft, returning to Stanford

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nyjetsmets89, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'm pretty sure that Stanford alumni wouldn't exactly blackball him if he opted to take his money now rather than a year from now. I certainly respect his desire to get his degree, I just think that it's foolish to think that he'd need to stay in school and get it next year.

What concerns me the most about all of this is how people are so quick to say that he'll just go back and be the #1 pick next year, like there's nothing that can happen between then and now to knock him off that platform. He could get hurt, there could be another player that surpasses him, or he could just not be as good. He's a talented kid, but nobody is perfect, and to think that he is so amazing that he is guaranteed the #1 spot every year is foolish. People have mentioned Matt Leinart, but how about Aaron Rodgers as another example? He's a very similar QB and was considered a great prospect too, but another kid had a fantastic year and jumped him.

That really has nothing to do with this thread. Iggy is a guy I have no problem with, he can vent all he wants.

2. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

A lot can happen before the draft but I would really be surprised if AJ Green was selected #1 overall.

3. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Lol. I love when he's telling Mary about the kid "Mongo" that he locks in a cage.

Funny movie.

Franks n beans.

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Certainly quite surprising.

Probably not the right word there.

:lol:

#64 Yisman, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, but it could be a major factor. What college QB doesn't love being at school? You see a ton of promising QBs being thrown into terrible teams and eventually crash and burn. Sure, he'll have a decent payout in the beginning, but he could end up being scarred. The Panthers are a terrible organization for a young franchise QB, so I would have done the same thing if I were him. At least he'll have another season to see how things play out.

6. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Ahhh. I remember trying to watch that once years ago but couldn't get into it. Will give it another shot though, since people still rave about it.

7. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Jesus, the day I try to get into the whole TGG rabble rousing everyone gets ultra sensitive. Back to posting pics of half naked chicks and occassionally insulting Cakes for me!

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I guess Andrew REALLY doesn't wanna play for the Panthers.

9. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

That makes me wonder if any player has had their favorite team's division rival draft them, and how much it effected their play for that team, and against their favorite team.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna sit back and LOL at the panthers for awhile and as MB said I'm sure John Fox is somewhere smiling.

This also hurts the other QB needy teams in this draft. Mallett and Newton are now the only viable guys who have a chance to step in and play from day one at all. Locker's stock got a small bump, but I don't see him going in round 1 still.

I'm loving it myself. Carolina deserves this for basicly entering this season palning to lose.

11. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

He's already rich, his dad played in the nfl and is the AD at a WVU, he probably grew up with everything he ever wanted and doesn't care about the money.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Hopefully not. He doesn't even deserve to go in the second round.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Carolina should take AJ Green.

If Clausen doesn't show improvement with a healthy backfield, Steve Smith, AJ Green, then that means you need to move on.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yea, but we all know where QB's deserver to go and where they are drafted are often two different things. I have a hrad time seeing either of Newton or Mallet making out of the top ten. Locker is most likely next off the board at that point.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett, and Blaine Gabbert should all go ahead of Jake Locker.

16. Ao11111

Ao11111 New Member

Ryan Mallett is probably next on the list of draft QB's, i'm seeing Cam Newton in a Miami uni.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

So is George Costanza.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He won't make it to 15.

Buffalo, Washington, Tennessee, San Francisco, and Arizona all need quarterbacks.

I don't want Cam Newton in the AFC East.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I agree, and Blaine Gabbert may go around mid first round.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think this is a great decision for Luck.

1) with no cba he's not getting Bradford money. If he was and decided to stay in school then he would be a total moron. He will not get big money until his 2nd contract.

2) If the owners really lockout the players then Luck has no contract or job.

3) Carolina is proving to be not such a good organization. Richardson refuses to spend money. They let Peppers and Fox walk away. They don't have a coach.

4) Taking money out of the equation, any top flight qb coming from college is going to want to go to a stable organization with good coaching.

5) How would you like to be a rookie and have to play Brees, Ryan and Freeman 6 times a year?