Critical Game for the Tannenbaum/Ryan Regime?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Jan 4, 2011.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Who said anything about firing? The point of my post was that this game in particular could carry more momentum (organizationally) than other playoff games. A win puts some validation on the Tannenbaum/Ryan plan. A loss (especially one in which the key off season additions come up small) could cast some doubt upon the management team.

I want both of these guys here for a long time. I believe they are pushing things in the right direction. But as StatJeff said above, in NY the pressures and expectations are more intense (right or wrong).

#21 DeathByJets, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Phallus Phil

Phallus Phil New Member

While it may be frustrating for some fans (& perhaps the team) that 11-5 only yields the NYJ a #6 seed, at least they're in the post-season. Look at NE back in '08: 11-5 record (same as division winning MIA) and NE 'missed' the play-offs.

Every team in the post-season is now 0-0; it's just a matter of seeding & home field advantage.

Cheers!

3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

You played baseball didn't you...

....in football, that's a l-o-n-g way away from doing "nothing"

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

If Rex can't manage to beat the depleted Colts with all the talent on this team, then we can say that something is seriously wrong. My confidence in him as a Head Coach will be a bit broken, but I'd be willing to give him a few more seasons.

We had similar conversations with Herm, who inherited what was pretty much a playoff team. Since part of being a great coach is being able to take great talent and mold them into a championship team, if the coach can't do that then there is something fundamentally wrong with their style.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Two playoff appearances in 2 years, AFCCG and a team that has the best back to back performance since at least 97/98 is validation.

Only in the minds of people who aren't true Jets fans and who are pretty much ignorant about the history of this organization, the current team and the nature of the NFL.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I couldn't agree more. It's unfortunate that rex doesn't keep his comments behind closed doors like the rest of the coaches do but that's just who he is. He's like a parent talking about his kid.

The Jets are on the verge of being a playoff contender every year for a long time but they need to refocus on building through the draft. They are going to have to deal with Brady and company for at least 4 or 5 more years and so they need to focus on getting as many picks as possible to rebuild the defense. The NFL is built on passing the ball and stopping the passing game. The rules favor Brady and Manning and all the passing offenses. The only way to really stop these guys is to get pressure with 4 and play a zone behind them that doesn't give up big plays. You allow them to slowly move the ball down the field but then do everything in your power to force them to kick field goals. Our current defense is the opposite of that and for Brady and Manning they seem to adjust to the blitz and carve us up.

Maybe the media wants to make it all about this one game, but really the Jets have little to not shot to beat 3 probable hall of famers on the road just to make it to the superbowl. No team is going to do that without their own hall of fame QB and Sanchez is still learning.

To make it worse all of the rules favor the passing team, it's virtually impossible that any curent NFL defense will shut down one of these passing attacks. The rules don't allow it.

7. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Every playoff game is important.

8. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Anything less than a SuperBowl win will be a disappointment for me. That might be unfair, but it's how I feel.

9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I wouldn't get too carried away with the "importance" of this game to the current leadership. It is important, hell its a playoff game and those are nearly the most important as they come. But even if we take a beating on Saturday it isn't the sign of some kind of crossroads or anything. It will just be a crappy loss.

Tanny has proved himself a tremendous asset to this team regardless of how we close out this year. Losing this game won't change that. And as for Rex, he's off to one hell of a start as a Jets HC, win or lose. There are number of other factors to consider aside from the coaching. For starters - injuries. We have a few key ones on defense and I think that is partly the reason why the defense has sagged down the stretch. Especially after we lost that kid at safety.

Take a look at the Colts. How many times did Manning and company make it to the dance only to end up going home at one point or another. Greatness is something you have to work at, and sometimes it takes that and some good old fashioned luck to get where you want to go. If this team keeps building it has a very good future ahead of it.

10. milo

milo Well-Known Member

What exactly does "Superbowl or bust" mean anyway? Are you gonna turn in your fan card and go root for the Gay Sharks if Brady beats us in his house?

Think about what we have to do to get to Superbowl or bust. All we would need to do is potentially beat Peyton, Brady, and probably Big Ben - who have won six of the last ten Superbowls - in their own buildings, back to back to back.

So I'll flip the script and say that if by some miracle we pull this out of our ass and make it to Dallas it might be the greatest playoff run in recent history.

Are you really fast-forwarding us to a point in time where we have five AFC titles and you're complaining? And your a MET fan?

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I will say that if he decides to go be a gay sharks fan that I will not be disappointed.

12. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, I generally agree. But if we lose on Saturday, surely Rex can't play the same schtick next year.

13. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

ill always be a jets fan but were an elite team now

the jets are no longer in my mind the 9-7 team that sneaks into the playoffs, they need to win championships and not lose in the playoffs

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would suck to lose. No doubt about it. The point is though, this playoffs is pretty tough. There is only one sub-par team in the AFC playoffs and they will be eliminated on Sunday in KC. Here is how I would rank the playoff teams:

1. Patriots
    2. Jets
    3. Ravens
    4. Steelers
    5. Colts
    6. Chiefs

Only problem for the Jets is that the Colts are great in their home/dome. I still think the Jets can win it, but its tough. On the road against any of those teams is tough. Hard to think the team did something wrong if they play great and can't quite pull it off.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Well isn't that pretty fng obvious?? Nobody likes to lose, everybody wants to win the SB. Anything other than winning is always a dissapointment. Winning the SB is the goal. DUH.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I feel tho if we don't win this year, we will have many oppurtunities to win in the future. Such as next seson. Obviously we brought in L.T, Cromartie, Holmes, and Taylor. But we can draft a better pass rusher. Hope Mcknight becomes the next good RB. Sanchez will continue to improve. We will resign Holmes or Edwards or even both. Sign Harris. Possibly sign Cromartie.

I would definately love to see us win it this year, it would be complete relief. Imagine Rex if we won it? he would talk so so much haha.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah I think you forgot RR statements on Hard Knocks about the season being a failure if we we did not win the SB & also go to this link

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...-bust-for-robust-ryan?tag=globalNav.nfl;cover

18. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Everyone wants to win it all, but realistically i think if the Jets win in Indy alone, anything after that is gravy, especially with a 2nd year QB who is still learning. Being in this position for a jet fan is a luxury, at least for me it is.

19. tappanZ

tappanZ New Member

A loss would be disappointing, but unless they are a complete no-show against Indy(which I don't see), I don't think it reflects on the FO.

The Jets won't be a true elite team until Sanchez becomes a elite(or least good) QB. How many teams have deep postseason runs without one? He's improving and there is good reason to think he gets there, but he isn't there yet. Given the league, I think the Jets actually did quite well.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Rex is in no way under any fire. As long as we keep making the playoffs he is here. If we go consecutives years with missing the playoffs then he would be in trouble. Its a different situation then Mangini.

If Rex made the playoffs next year then he will probably be for at least another 2 years after that.

Also I don't think our fanbase has a problem with the Jets making the playoffs consistently but not winning the Super Bowl, eventually it will come though. Right now I am loving it,

On the flipside tho if we beat Manning and Brady and win the Super Bowl he will be a legend in NY forever.