Cimini reports that conditional pick for Cromatie goes up to 2nd Rnd Pick w/ Jets Win

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Jan 4, 2011.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If Wilson gets promoted to 2nd corner not only does our defense become significantly more vunerable (ie were less likely to win now), but then wed be pretty much forced to draft another corner next year as well.

2. hazmat

hazmat New Member

All I care about is that Tannenbaum keeps his eye on a long term plan. In the NFL you can't expect to win in any single season. Between injuries and the strange things that happen you need to keep building through the draft every year. We've only drafted 9 defensive players in 5 years. Losing a 2nd round pick for a one year rental when you have limited draft picks in 2009 and 2010 is not a good thing. Especially when in 2009/2010 our division rivals seemed to have 15 picks and actually draft good players. It's not necessarily hurting the team today but the limited draft picks in 2009/2010 and the potential loss of a 2nd round pick in 2011 could really cause a depth issue in future years.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Wilson was there so we could let Cro walk. We didn't pick a CB in the first round to play nickel for the next 4 seasons. We can draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round to do that. Rex is going to be looking for a CB every season. That was the first lesson Ozzie Newsome told Tannenbaum about Rex when the Jets hired him.

Indianapolis delenda est.

#43 CatoTheElder, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I'm sure Rex will push for a CB in the draft every year. It would be great to keep Cromatie but can you pay him 7 or 8 million a year and Revis $16 million? David Harris needs to get paid along with one of the WR's.

5. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think that the argument there is that the player whom you acquired with the intention of letting him walk came at a very high cost. Everybody understands the rest of your argument.

6. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

that doesnt change the fact that a second round pick for a one year rental that didnt even get us to where we got to last year is retarded.

7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I have no idea. I don't think anyone has seen him play enough. He can't be any worse then Lowery, Drew Coleman and Lito Sheppard.

8. CatoTheElder

I'm not going to try and argue that this current roster wasn't built whit a focus on winning short-term. We brought in Jason Taylor and Ladanian Tomlinson for fucks' sake. We needed a #2 CB and the asking price for a starter that would work in this system was a #2 pick. It was either pay the #2 for Cromartie, start a rookie, or stay with Lito Sheppard. Which choice sounds like the right one?

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well if the team doesnt feel Wilson is ready (any path to the superbowl involves plenty of teams with 2 + very good WRs) I wouldnt be against signing Cromartie to a deal (assuming its not mega $$$) then reevaluating position in a year or 2.

I mean alot of these teams #2s are just as good as the #1s, guys like Welker/Wallace/Garcon

Its not like we couldnt trade Cromartie in another year or two when Wilsons ready anyhow.

But it would completely depend on the $ and what happens with our wrs

10. CatoTheElder

I'm guessing by your response that you are resigned to the Jets losing in the divisional round, then.

11. gopats88

gopats88 Member

There is no right one. If that is the kind of question they were asking, then it was shitty decision making that even brings that question up. You can't try to cash all of your chips in at once when there are so many other good teams in this league... especially when some of the other pieces don't fall perfectly into place (2nd year QB?)

12. Play Like A Jet

If Cro leaves though don't we get a compensatory pick? (depending on our free agent acquisitions, the new CBA and what he signs for etc.) So it's not like we'd completely lose out on the deal even if Cromartie walks because we'd at least get some picks for some of our players leaving? Not sure how that all works though so if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Because its all on Cro to in the SB.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I doubt Cro is going to just be a 1 year rental that we get no compensation for. Either he will stay with a Tannenbaum specialty contract that we all praise, or Tanny will franchise him and trade him (depending on the new CBA rules).

15. CatoTheElder

A compensatory pick would be in the draft following Cro's departure (2012, for argument's sake) which would cap out at a 3rd rounder based on Cro's performance with his new team vs. the performance of an FA we brought in to replace him as #2 CB. Of course that was under the previous CBA. No idea if they'd keep that or not.

16. CatoTheElder

You didn't get the message? Rex was very clear about that when he called all of the Jets fans after the trade.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Who knows if Cimini is even right.. wouldn't be the first time he is wrong.

18. 624

624 Banned

When he gives his opinion on things it's dogshit, but I don't think he would report facts unless he knew it were true.

19. CatoTheElder

Meh, I'm sure he has every ability to be a sleaze bag.

20. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I didn't call it a good trade. I called it a perfectly appropriate escalator.

Rex Ryan can't out-scheme Peyton Manning. The Jets have to out-talent Peyton Manning. So they brought in a Manning killer at a considerable cost, expecting to see the Colts again in the playoffs this year. They will, and as luck would have it, the Manning killer's cost will be entirely contingent on his ability to kill Manning. Perfect.

Like I said, I didn't call it a good trade in my previous post, but I will now. Quite frankly, if you had told me at the beginning of the year that we'd see the Colts and the Patriots in the playoffs, I'd have given up much more for Antonio Cromartie. I would have thought "he's a Manning killer, and he's perfectly suited to cover Moss (quite true), so Revis can finally shadow Welker. Championship."

But even now, don't make it seem like losing to the neoPatriots is a foregone conclusion. The last time Tom Brady looked this totally unstoppable, some underdogs from Jersey embarrassed him in front of the entire country. We might get an opportunity to do the same thing next week. And if we're lucky enough to get that opportunity, I'm sure as shit gonna be glad we gave up a 2011 2nd round draft pick to give us a better chance of seizing it.