bryan thomas = no rush

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Dec 26, 2010.

1. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

calvin pace looked like a fucking monster in preseason. breaking his leg fucked his year up.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Pace hurting his foot really hurt him speed wise.

He's been solid stopping the run and coming around the tackle to stop the RB but passing wise...hasn't been as effective.

Thomas, he's been solid...nothing more nothing less.

3. Out for the Season

Out for the Season New Member

Maybe the responsibility falls on Mark Carrier? It is his first year with the jets.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He wasn't solid today though. There was a run where Pace went inside, where he should have been outside containment and Forte had a 20+ yard run. I was in a bar and pointed it out from the replay. I have to re-watch and see if that was a one-off instance or happened a bunch of times.

Pace hasn't been very good.

5. Cynic

Cynic New Member

Bryan Thomas had a sack today.... And really you call out the dude who hustles his ass off every play? Ellis is the one who is done due to age.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Thomas has been better than Pace all year. Pace hasn't been the same with his foot injury as a lot of people said. BT has at least made a few plays, which is more than what Pace can say. Either one can be replaced for new blood though IMO. I trust both vs the run, but neither can get to the QB very well.

As for Jenkins, it's tough to say he's been a disappointment, but dollar for dollar, you are right. He's been good when he's in there, but he's never able to be in there. Some of that is bad luck, and we knew that was the risk coming in, but he does have a big cap number. If he wants to come back next year, he'll have to take a hefty pay cut.

7. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Gholston....

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Thomas just looks so slow. Look at any other team with a slightly good pass rusher and you can see how BT and Pace just look so lethargic.

9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Two words to add ... Vernon Gholston.
    What an effin' disaster.
    Wasting a #8 pick on this loser killed our defense.

10. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

It's worse, I believe Gholston was the sixth pick not the eighth.

11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

In fairness to the CS, at the time VG was picked the overall consensus was that he would be the most likely to boon or bust from the top of the draft. It was worth the shot, in hindsight it has been a complete failure.

I would be more pissed about it if he was projected as a low first round pick and the CS tried outsmarting everybody and reached for him. Sadly, VG went where he was slotted to go...

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

where is this hate for Thomas coming from? Thomas isn't a pass rusher and I have seen him near the QB more than any of our supposed pass rushers. We brought a guy in here this offseason(giving up a good Kicker to get him) that was supposed to help our pass rsuh but he has been completely invisible rushing the passer. That's the guy you should be upset w/ not Bryan Thomas.

13. quadcityjetsfan76

They called his name for PI on Sunday.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

that was a shit call.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

There needs to be a lot of turnover in the front seven this season. It's the scariest part of the offseason right now.(aside from that whole lockout thing)

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I disagree completely. He went where "draft gurus" and people on this board were projecting him to go. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing that the Jets wanted to trade out of that spot and couldn't. Shows you that there was the top 5 and then whoever goes 6th. I don't think there was any consensus

No "boom or bust" player should ever be drafted that high, period. We just need to stop drafting on potential alone and take what we see out of their college performances at face value. In today's NFL, I feel like combine numbers and the like get incredibly overstated and we just need to see what they do on the field with following their football instincts. Personally, I would have taken Kenny Phillips 6th overall. Looking back, I guess that wouldn't have been the greatest of picks, but I think most players in that entire draft had more productive careers thus far than VG.

17. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Indeed. But last year the secondary was seen as the biggest hole, and we addressed it (although with the Safety issues and Kdub's slow start, it's hard to remember that).

Point being, we've seen that this CS and front office can and will address glaring needs, and I think that they realize the front 7 is a big need this offseason, so expect new faces next year. Let's hope they pan out!

18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I predict Gholston will get his first sack against the Bills.
    The New Meadowlands Stadium erupts - "Ghost! Ghost! Ghost!"

OK - maybe not the crowd thing but I really think the sack is coming.

19. CatoTheElder

The problem that I have with that is that the FO seems to only address GLARING needs. I don't know, I guess I just wish the DLine and LB corps would receive the same attention that CB and OLine have in the draft and WR did in trades.

20. CatoTheElder

I predict we'll see this post for every game until we finally cut him.