Rex doubts uh oh...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Blue, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

so many people get defensive when a negative observation is made of rex. all head coaches can be critized from time to time, even if he happens to coach your favorite team. jet blue wasn't flat out saying rexy sucks, i believe his point was really about whether rex has that natural head coaching ability.

if anyone has been paying attention and can be honest with ones self, he's been iffy in many area's! doesn't mean he sucks, or he's the greatest, just so far a lot of concerns.

2. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

There's not an "analyst" or member of the sports media who doesn't either rate Brady no. 1 or 2 among active players. I don't think anyone's severely underrating him.

And I'm not personally underrating him either. I think he's easily one of the top-3 in the league, but *most* of that is because he is part of, and was brought up in, a great system. Go back to 2000, have the Lions draft him and he's not the same QB (IMO, of course).

But you're right, the debate is pointless.

I think we all know Belichick was a very different HC with the Browns.

I'm looking more at '08 when they had Cassel and still managed an 11-5 record.

3. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

totally missed the point on the first two and no, i don't believe every team in need of a head coach would love to have rex, but many would. his style is not for everyone.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah teams aren't really into hiring head coaches that win games

5. John127

John127 New Member

Okay, I just watched finally.

Now, I am one of those "darksiders" who usually sees the negative, but I have to say, I saw this exchange between Rex and Braylon differently.

I saw that Rex was unsure about a tough decision (I wouldn't have faulted him with either choice) and he seemed to feed off the fact that his offense was confident (Braylon) and gave them a shot.

In essence, that play showed the team their coach believed in them - they had confidence in themselves, and they saw their coach had confidence in them. I thought it was a great exchange between player and coach and propelled them toward the win.

6. billo83

billo83 Member

What are you missing on the 1st two?

You may be right that not all teams would hire him depending on the owner, but I would say the majority would.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Rex Ryan as our coach, but I don't think there's any debating that he's made some questionable in game coaching decisions this year. The OP makes a valid point, and maybe this is why we see some of the questionable in game coaching decisions. Rex should be thinking like a chess or poker player - 3 steps ahead, and this decision should have been made prior to the situation even coming up.

Bust the OP's chops if you will, but he makes a good point. The fact that Rex is only in his second year is also a very good point. He's still a bit green as a HC, you always hear him talking about finding ways to get better. Hopefully this is something he can focus on improving, I think it would go a long way in making better decisions.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

In 2000 BB was 5-11 w/ the patriots, in 2001 they started 0-2 and there were rumblings he was going to be fired. magically the moment Brady steps in they turn it around and a dynasty is born.

What they did in 2008 is completely overblown. He won 10 games w/ Cassell starting, a guy who had been w/ that team for years and learning under Brady. That team was UNDEFEATED a year earlier so they won 6 less games w/ Cassell starting- that is a HUGE # against a MUCH weaker schedule and they still missed the playoffs.

BB is a great coach but he'd be a DC somewhere today if it wasn't for Brady rescuing him and that franchise.

9. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

DICK m*therf*ckin CURL....

10. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

you still can't see the overall picture, so i'll not bother. christ, try to be honest and make some honest observations and people get all bent out of shape. reminds me of wrestling and watching the fans act as if what they are seeing is reallity. the dumbing down of society, lol some just can't step back and look at the real world, everything has to be a fantasy.

11. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

probably right. every great coach had a great qb. without the great qb, how many other coaches are considered great? BB absolutely was lucky to find brady by accident, but a lot of sports is about lucky breaks.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Who's getting bent out of shape? And if anything, you're the one missing the "overall picture" which is the fact that he's been a successful head coach despite everything. Going downhill? "Disfunction" junction? Lacks the leadership to be a HC in the NFL? LOL

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Thanks....Funny to hear people get all defensive and nuts....

I said over and over how I Absolutely LOVE Rex Ryan and wouldn't trade him for anyone...

people just com ehere read a few lines and get whacko... Love it though, it's expected.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It doesn't take an all time great QB to win, plenty of coaches have won w/ decent QBs and have even won w/ multiple QBs. I look forward to the day when BB has a chance to win w/o Brady.

15. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

amen quoted for truth. i do believe thats al that jetblue was saying. concerned whether rex would get over the hump or in the end, when it comes, if he would end up falling on the sword.

time will tell, we don't know yet!!!!!!!!!!

16. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

exactly my point, went right over your head, wizzzz..

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

For some people, everything has to be black or white. Nobody's saying Ryan is perfect, or has to be to be a good HC. No one here says his game management skills are beyond criticism.

I do think it is a bit much to say that his game management skills are such that he's a bad coach. That's an overreaction.

18. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Another one who gets it.... Thanks....

People just don't grasp how much Pro Rex Ryan I am and the perspective I tried over and over to explain here....

Again, WOULD NOT TRADE THIS GUY FOR BILL COHWER, BILL BELLICHIK AND JON GRUDEN ALL IN ONE ROBOT!!!!!!

19. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i doubt we'll see it. when brady retires, so will bb. wouldn't you? by continuing on it can only ruin his legacy and enhance brady's!

20. billo83

billo83 Member

I agree with this, and I'll add that the previously 1-15 Phags won the same amount of games in '08. That should be proof enough how easy the schedules were that year for the AFCE.

I'd also like to add that Cindy and Belicheat benefit from one another, and unfortunately are a great combination. Put Brady on another team and he's still a good QB, but doesn't have half the success he's had in NE*. Belicheat without Brady is a medicore at best HC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.