my take on Sanchez trade with feedback needed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SameOldJets2008, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

We can argue all we want, the fact is that NO ONE will know if this pick was worth it for a couple of years. Personally, I am happy with the pick and believe we made the right gamble. That's what the draft is, one big gamble. The Jets had a private workout with Sanchez and liked what they saw. He was "their guy" of the 2009 draft. Every year, Tannanebaum has "a guy" that he has his eyes set on, and does what he needs to do to get him. Revis, Keller, and even Harris were guys that the Jets had their eye on and traded up for. They hit home-runs the last three times, so the least we can do is trust their judgment and support the pick until something proves otherwise.

And by no way is it fair to compare this to the Gholston pick. We were in a horrible, I mean horrible, position last year. We HAD to take Gholston. Long, Long, McFadden, etc were all off the board when we picked at 7, and the Jets desperately needed someone who could rush the passer. We reportedly listened to offers to trade down, but couldn't get it done.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Pretty much every good team in the NFL has a high first round draft pick QB in place:-

Atlanta - Ryan - 1st round (top 5)
    Miami - Chad - 1st round
    Baltimore - Flacco - 1st round
    Indianapolis - Manning - 1st round (top 5)
    Carolina - Delhomme - undrafted
    New York Giants - Manning - 1st round (top 5)
    Tennessee - Collins - 1st round (top 5)
    Arizona - Warner - undrafted
    Pittsburgh - Roth - 1st round

You notice something of a theme running through this list? Yes, you can very occasionally find gold like Warner but broadly speaking if you want a franchise QB you need to go in the first round, preferably early.

3. tzaf1975

tzaf1975 New Member

i like the Sanchez pick and i think it was a good trade.
    but he did had some issues , he was accused of rape(sort of a date rape i belive)
    but charges were dropped.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's about selling PSLs and winning championships. The Jets would do neither without a high profile QB..there was no risk in this at all. The risk would have come in not doing it.

5. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

I don't believe this is an effective arguement, more a put down at your perceptions of the lack of football knowledge in posts by others. Any dad who is doing their job will always have their child's confidence in the point of view expressed to them so I tip my hat at you sir for doing your job as a dad

In terms of drafting Sanchez I am positive regarding the move

The move was wise in terms of what the Jets gave up

Played for USC in a pro style set up. Starting for one year is more than likely linked to depth of talent at USC whne he was there

Sanchez's reaction to being told the Jets were taking him appeared to one of happiness and excitement so a big plus

His poise from the limited TV I've seen of him shows he is more than football, has an intelligence and abilty to managae himself

Seems to be able to make all the throws

In identity terms he has the hallmarks of a face of the franchise and a player thsat can be built around for the future - as others have said potential franchise QB

Of course he's a risk who isn't. It's now up to him and the coaching staff to get him ready to play and fulfill his potentiall as a professional

I do believe he should sit this year to acclimtise to the NFL, learn the playbook and be in the best possible position to be more than productive when he starts

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I find these to be easy to debunk

- 6'2 isn't 6'5 but its not 6'0... he's fine.
    - He had a knee issue that he played with. So durability combined with toughness.
    - Tight spirals seemed to be the name of the game today, but its in shorts against scrubs. I think he'll still be throwing long after today.
    - Won't run away from people, what the fuck does that mean? He has mobility, but i don't want him to think that the play had broken down and take off too early. Stand in that pocket.
    - His off the field issue needs to be put to rest for good... that non-story needs to go away.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sanchez broke his thumb early in his USC career too, but you can't really be upset with a backup for breaking his thumb in practice.

The dislocated knee injury was just a freak accident at practice. Sanchez rolled out and his cleat got caught on the grass. He didn't tear anything and he played through the pain -Sanchez destroyed UVA with an immobilizer on his knee. 26 of 35 for 338 yards and 3 TDs...pretty solid game.

In my opinion, you can't knock a player for being injuries unless he tears something - knee or shoulder especially.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Exactly. He has a great pocket presence and is pretty agile as far as QB's go. Today's minicamp was just a very small sample but when I saw the highlights on ESPN he looked crisp and fast in his drops and got the ball out to his receivers swiftly.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Much superior talent?

Take me back to 8-3 last year.

2 players broke down.

On D, the CS is better and can handle the Jenkins breakdown.

on O it's prob. a wash.

10. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

The Jets haven't won the Super Bowl in 40 years...if it's a huge risk it's still worth the chance. We all know where status quo gets us, and it's not to the Super Bowl.

11. nyironchin

nyironchin New Member

kellen's too short and doesnt have that leadership personality like sanchez

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sanchez and Clemens are listed at the same height and nearly the same weight.

13. pdpullmn612

pdpullmn612 New Member

I think it's good. We have a young kid who can be around for a while if he is great. The last few years we've used qb's that were already in the program and I think it's good that we have a new one. He will learn a lot and should be great. Tanny did what he did and all we have to do is sit and wait to see what he's like in the NFL. Nothing we can do about it now.

14. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Have to agree with you ...we only lost a second ..and some backup players ...cant say it will be a success yet ..but what if it does ...the draft is a gamble as it is ...why not go with the house and take the best bet!

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Good QB = Lot's of money...

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

most of the good teams in the nfl took a risk on a quarterback in the first round. if we ever want the jets to be a winning team this was a step that had to be taken. i like the potential they drafted in sanchez, and if he works out we are set for at least 10 years.

17. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Truth be told, I wasn't jumping for joy about the Sanchez pick. But I feel that he gives the JETS the better chance to win instead of Kellen Clemens. Sanchez just has the one trait that all franchise QB's have, the "IT" quality. I didn't really like the pick but the JETS organziation just feels that Mark Sanchez just has "IT" to lead this franchise for the next 10 plus years.

18. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

mark sanchize

i was wrong, sanchez is the real deal and has a quality team built around him. His abnormally large cock and amazing facial features easily back up his athletic ability. I can no longer count the plays I have spent just watching his calves and genital buldge. His spanish background surely speaks volumes of his tremendous chest and beautiful face. I could only hope he stays a jet for the rest of his career to truely show off his gorgous body and fantastic genital area. GO JETS

19. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

What.the.fuck. This is pretty hilarious but I can't tell if you are being an asshole or not.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Fixed your post.

...and it's pretty obvious that he is being one.