NY Times on the "Crumbling Patriot Dynasty"

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by onefanjet, Dec 6, 2010.

1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has already been posted, thought it was a good blurb....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/sports/football/07rhoden.html?hp

Sports of The Times
    The Day the Patriots Empire Began to Crumble

Jason Cohn/Reuters
    By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
    Published: December 6, 2010

In the days leading up to his team’s showdown with New England, Jets Coach Rex Ryan went out of his way to praise Bill Belichick, the Patriots’ dour head coach.
    Ryan called Belichick the best in the business and a respected opponent.
    “I think he’s the No. 1 coach in this league,” Ryan said. “That’s undisputable. He’s smart. He gets his team going every year. He’s a great evaluator of talent. I do admire him, as a son of a coach. Do I want to be like him? No, I want to be like myself, but I want to have the success that he’s had through the years.”

Normally unrestrained in heaping praise on his team, Ryan was careful with his remarks about Belichick and the Patriots. It was as if he wanted to play down the perception that a shift in power was taking place.

Too late. The shift has occurred: the Jets are in ascendancy, while New England is in retrograde, though it has nothing to do with one game, one season, injuries or upheaval.

The shift was set in motion three seasons ago by a moral misstep by Belichick. The Patriots empire began to unravel the day New England was caught cheating.

After an opening-season game between the Jets and the Patriots in September 2007, Eric Mangini, the Jets’ head coach at the time, reported New England for videotaping the Jets’ defensive signals. The Jets confiscated the tape and turned it over to the N.F.L.

The scandal, which came to be called Spygate, put New England and Belichick under a cloud, though by 2007 several teams had begun to suspect the Patriots were taping opposing coaches.

The Packers caught New England in the act in 2006 but never took the complaint further. Belichick was believed to be taping opponents when Mangini was a member of the Patriots’ defensive staff under Belichick between 2000 and 2005.

The N.F.L. fined Belichik $500,000 and the team $250,000 and took away a first-round pick in the 2008 draft.

But the Patriots and Belichick lost more than money. New England lost some of its luster as a first-class organization. While no one doubts Belichick’s coaching genius, he lost a measure of respect for violating the sanctity of sportsmanship and the integrity of competition.

Belichick also sent a troubling message to his protégés.

One of them, Mangini, reacted by turning in his old boss. But another, Josh McDaniels, was caught in the ambition trap — perhaps as Belichick was.

Last month the N.F.L. fined McDaniels, the Denver Broncos’ head coach, $50,000, and the franchise another $50,000 when it learned the team’s director of video operations had recorded six minutes of the San Francisco 49ers’ walk-through the day before the two teams met in London on Oct. 31.

The employee was Steve Scarnecchia, identified by the N.F.L. as one of those who made improper videotapes while employed by the Patriots. McDaniels was a member of Belichick’s staff during the Super Bowl years; so was Scarnecchia.

Why would McDaniels hire Scarnecchia? Did he do it out of loyalty, or because he felt he needed the sort of edge that Scarnecchia could provide?

McDaniels said he never watched the tape and the N.F.L. said it believed him. McDaniels was fined because he did not immediately report Scarnecchia to Broncos executives. Why were the Patriots fined $750,000 in 2007 and stripped of a draft pick and Denver only $50,000?

In explaining the differences in the fines in a recent conference call, the N.F.L.’s general counsel, Jeff Pash, offered a chilling indictment of the Patriots. He said the league believed the Denver episode was isolated and perpetrated by a single person who did not receive direction from a superior.

“You have a single incident as opposed to years of activity,” Pash said.

Years of activity.

On the other hand, New England has not won a championship since the Jets turned Belichick in for cheating. Is this a coincidence? Or in a league in which winning and losing hang by such a slender thread, can the loss of a camera be the difference between them? The Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Giants by the narrowest of margins, just as they had won their three Super Bowls by a combined 9 points.

The unanswered question is what level of conceit or insecurity prompted Belichick to cheat. We may only know that when Belichick writes the ultimate autobiography. Meanwhile, we continue to refer to Belichick as a genius, and one of the great coaches in N.F.L. history.

New England will not be defined by the spying fiasco. The Patriots don’t need to win another championship to validate themselves, nor does Belichick. He has three Super Bowl rings as validation.

But Spygate left a stain that will not be washed away by victories and even championships.

2. GunghoIguana

GunghoIguana New Member

what, no comments?

The original title was "The Day the Patriots Dynasty Began to Crumble". But it still looks ridiculous after last night. Rex and NYT eating a Gillette-Stadium-sized crow pie. So sweet.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

GunghoIguana? Seriously?

4. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

5. WWWestonC

WWWestonC New Member

Nothing in this article changed due to last night, everything holds true. Maybe you should read beyond the headline you arrogant fool.

Your team is still going to be "stained" by the top down cheating initiatives implemented in past seasons (and based on some of the BS I saw last night could still be in place.)

But yea, no comment required. Accurate article after the loss and depicts the true nature of "America's Team" that the sports media has convienently forgotten.

6. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

7. the patriot

the patriot Banned

Oh yeah, 45-3. The gap has closed for sure! :rofl:

:breakdance:

8. DREW COLEMANS DAD

[​IMG]

9. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

As long as nobody bet their double-wides on the outcome, I think we're all going to pull through here.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

^ where have you been?

11. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

best article ever

12. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Still stinging from Monday night, huh?

It's OK, champ. You can call me an arrogant fool or whatever makes you feel better. I'm an easy-going guy, I can take it.

13. MadBacker Prime

How long did week 2 sting, or watching us March on in the playoffs??

Pats fans don't realize what is going on, Mark is extremely young and is 2-2 vs the ALMIGHTY Brady and Bill.

I was a gracious winner after we turned Tom over 3 times in week 2, held the TOP offense to 14 points. Not anymore, if you make it far enough in the playoffs to lose to us I will make sure to find your shitty pats board and linger around for weeks. But that wouldn't happen because your faggot boards ban people with Jet in their username.

14. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Hey man, it's OK. No need to "put a Pats fan in his place." I know you're a big tough guy with all your posts. You Internet tough guys are very intimidating, honestly. But here I was, thinking we had come to some sort of understanding. I guess not.

Week 2 didn't sting for long, but thanks for your concern. And your "playoff march" that was made possible by two teams laying down for you? Yeah, not much skin off my back on that one either. Did all of the "playoff marches" the Patriots have had in the last decade or so bother you much?

By the way, are you able to write an entire post without using the word "faggot?" I mean, it really makes you sound like one of those uppity Ivy League intellects and all, but I wonder if you're maybe a little confused and just don't know it.

15. MadBacker Prime

I don't know faggot, let me try faggot. That internet tough guy thing is real original faggot.

Not once did I threaten harm, that is a internet tough guy. You're the faggot on a opposing team message board. Would you be so bold at the stadium faggot? I doubt it very much. Faggot

6 times, almost down to none. fag

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets and Patriots have split the last 3 seasons...Wait a sec, why am I responding to you?

17. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

You say the sweetest shit man. Seriously. So in touch with your sensitive side. That's why I wonder about you...

Go buy yourself a nice pair of Uggs or something.

18. MadBacker Prime

Can you get me a discount, at the Pats super shopping mall extravaganza thing??

Pick me up a size 13, than shove it up your ass. I know how you like to be dominated.

Call me Brutal Master from now on too.

19. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Funny how all you Pats "bundles of sticks" were nowhere to be found after week 2 or after Wildcard weekend last year...

Basically your "all world" quarterback and "genius" coach are 2 - 2 against our 2nd year QB and coach...

BTW... who's going to be next off the Pat tree to get caught cheating?

20. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I see we're going to have to have some kind of seminar on the proper use of the word "faggot," or something.

To clarify, using the word is really good; name calling in anything but the Trashtalk Forum is really bad.

We're square?