Take off the green-goggles and discuss whether this team good enough to win it all?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The team is 8-2 and there are certainly some issues with this team.

However, the defense we had last year that was sooo good allowed Miami to score with 4 seconds left in the first meeting, Atlanta and Jacksonville to drive down the field and win last year.

The year the defense hasn't been as good as last year, but the team as a whole is. They are winning games they were giving away last year. While the running game and defense arent as good as last year, our passing game is MILES ahead of last year. The jets are also learning how to win games instead of give them away.

2. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Perfectly said. I will never take off my green goggles. I think it's safe to say for the most part we've all endured our fair share of dibilitating losses with this team, year in and year out... finding the most epic ways to blow games and rack up losses. This year is different.

We find ways to win and thats the most important thing. Sure you can pick apart areas of this team that aren't doing well. Name me one professional sports franchise you can't do that to.

Also I feel in a way we play down to our competition. This team has yet to hit it's stride and they keep putting W's up in the win column. When the team does start to fire on all cylinders... look out.

3. grayburn

grayburn Member

I couldn't agree more, I love the airplane. Beats the hell out of the dougie.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I like them both.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I am Pro airplane as well , I love when Holmes does it, and was cracking up when Mark did it. Just means they're having fun our their, and that's when Mark plays his best.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not sure about the winning it all piece as we're getting our assed smoked over the middle on a weekly basis. We know how to comeback but do we know how to impose our will on teams.. To talk SB, we're gonna need significant upgrade in our coverage over the middle not to mention SOME pressure on the QB. Brady, Manning, BigB, all will burn us by staying inside the hashmarks and turning our safety's into matadors. To beat the Jets, teams don't have to go outside but simply stay short to midrange inside. The good teams will see this tendency.

We're as good as our 8-2 record sez we are but December will tell the tale of the 2010 Jets.

#66 Cman68, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

When mark and Santonio were standing in front of each other doing the airplane I was cracking up. Epic

8. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Consider the alternatives to the airplane:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll keep it.

9. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Good call. I get to watch a lot of falcons games since I live in Georgia and opposing teams taunt/mock the falcons by doing the dirtybird dance. Some team will do the airplane against the Jets sooner or later.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yes. The reason they're falling into these kinda holes is not because of Sanchez. The reason they're pulling themselves out of them is because of Sanchez.

If Sanchez keeps up this clutch play there's no reason to believe they can't go all the way

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u folks ripped me a new one last week when i said the AFC championship game goes thru jersey......at the present time.

well it still does and until it doesn't i will enjoy the games and not worry about if they are good enough to do it.

towards the end of yesterdays game i was ready for the "same old jets" monday but even that didn't get me ticked off. there are a few teams good enough to win this thing and the jets are one of them.

thats all i can ask for after 30 plus years of what ifs and buts.

if ya'll want a realistic view of the team - our front seven needs to be upgraded in terms of perimeter speed and quickness. the overall defensive scheme along with superb CB/ILB play has kept the unit from becoming average. it is more apparent this year as certain guys have another year on them and there just isn't much youth in there at OLB. they have to get a legitimate pass rusher going forward for the next year or 2. it will allow us to see the max upside to this D.

jil

#71 jilozzo, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

who was ripping you? i want names!

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

that is where the crack is....

14. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

as the old sayings go, you beat who's on your schedule , and there are no style points in the NFL. I don't care how they look against the Bengals as long as they come out of it 9-2.

Jet fans have real short memories apparently....as long as you save your best ball until playoff time, how you "look" in wins during the season doesn't mean shit to me. The Jets have had plenty of seasons where they enter the perceived "soft part of their schedule", you what usually happened? they'd lose at least 1 if not 2 of those games...you need only to go back to last year to see that.

like I said earlier, i don't think it's the talent on the field as much as poor coaching staff decisions on play calling on O and D lately that's stinging them a little.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

There is a fight to the Jets that is exciting and fun. This team does not give up. I have to admitt, I love being a threat to come back late in the game. The roll normally reserved for the Farve's, Peyton's and Brady's of the NFL that can put fear into opponents.

The problem is we are letting lessor teams make us have to do that to win every week by giving their QB's all day in the pocket and poor safety and corner play (except Cro and Revis). Look at what Joel Dreeson just did to us yesterday.

To add to Koz's list I would say poor o-line play the last two weeks. They are not making holes like they were and Sanchez is not getting much time in the pocket.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While the Jets have some serious flaws, every contender does this year. Teams like Pittsburgh, the Colts, Eagles, Giants, Falcons, and Ravens have all been exposed at one time or another. The current best of the other contenders is New England, a team we've beaten once and get to play again.

While we are far from a perfect team, we are right in line with the rest of the serious contenders in the NFL. If our young QB keeps maturing there is no telling how far this team can go.

17. e-x

e-x New Member

biggest thing with this team is they know how to win ... hopefully they get hot on both sides of the ball when it matters, close to the end of the season

all teams have hot streaks and cold streaks, and while the D has been cold we've been winning, if the D and running game start hitting on all cylinders around the end of the season, watch out

it's rare that all phases of your game are good at any one time, the fact that this team can be so resilient is their biggest asset

18. joykilla

joykilla Member

I think the jets are very capable of winning it all. You know why? Because I want to see who do you think is going to win it all? A banged up Packer team who is peaking way to early and lost to the Redskins. A giant team that has lost two straight, a falcon team that is way worse on the road, and how about the AFC, a patriot team that we have beaten recently and lost to clevland, the colts with half their roster, or the steelers who aren't healthy as well.

This team can win on the road, this team can win when they are behind and this team can win when they are playing like shit. What else do you want from a playoff team?

19. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The airplane is a really stupid celebration... but it is our really stupid celebration so I like it anyway.

Mark looked like an idiot running down the field doing it but all I could was laugh since they had just scored a touchdown.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The team is certainly good enough to win it all. They haven't even clicked yet and they are 8-2.