New OT Rule?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Nov 8, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I thought the new rule was that if the team that received the ball scored a FG the other team would get a chance to get the ball? Obviously that didn't happen and both coaches were coaching as if a FG would end it. The announcers didn't say anything either.

Obviously I'm not understanding something.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

In the playoffs.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think that's only in the postseason

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

OK, I seem to remember that now that you mention it. I was freaking out that Rex was kicking on 3rd down, and then freaking out even more when they declined the penalty that would have given them a first. I thought the Lions were getting the ball back.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Naaah. I'm pretty sure Rex gave Dick Curl a call before he made that decision :rofl2:

6. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

I wish they would've put it in place for the regular season as well. Even if the Lions got the ball first, I still would have preferred it.

OT as it stands now isn't "real" football in my opinion. Football is about pushing for the endzone and only accepting a FG is you have too. It's a consolation prize. But in OT it's all about the FG, not the TD. Sure, a TD is nice, but no one plays for it. If you get it, great, but if you get down to, say 15 yards, a team is stupid to push for the endzone. Take the very high probability FG even on 2nd or 3rd down. Don't risk a fumble or an INT.

7. Rascio

Rascio New Member

I think sometime in the near future these new OT rules for the playoffs will spill over to the regular season. Even though it's somewhere in the range of 55% of teams that receive the ball first in OT win people still complain that it's totally unfair.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well the idea is that games are supposed to be won in regulation so I've never had a problem with the OT rules. Don't love it but I can deal with it, win or lose.

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

You're not the only one.

So did Folk.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

^It's better than not knowing a game could end in a tie

11. Rascio

Rascio New Member

I'm not 100% sure but the rule only gives opposing teams a chance to get the ball back only when the first possession of OT is a FG corect? Not after the ball has changed hands 1 time?

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Once (if) the ball is punted/turned over its sudden death.

13. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

ha! but to split hairs here... a QB not knowing that is far worse than a kicker.

14. Uzone27

Uzone27 New Member

haha just caught this......^

Damn that fourth and 15 looks far....
    We should punt. :smile:

15. 624

624 Banned

At the time I didn't really know what was going on either, I forgot that it was only in the post season.

I eventually realized though once we had the kicking team out though.

It's stupid that it's just in the playoffs, if you are going to do it than have it all season.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

this makes the win more awesome.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I can't wait for this new rule to fuck over a NFC championship game and then there will be huge backlash about getting rid of it.

The OT percentage now is around 50% of 1st possession scores. And the OT game last week with I think the Cardinals lasted the entire 5th quarter (which is mathematically incorrect). I don't see a need for change on something that really hasn't proved terrible.

18. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i think they're still testing if its gonna work. hence only in the postseason.
    i think there was enough of a holdover from the old system that they didn't want to incorporate it for every game in the event its a failure. now you can argue, and i'll probably agree, that testing something in hte postseason isn't the best idea. personally, i think its a good middle ground between the potential never ending back and forth of NCAA (which i'll admit i was just informed of hte specifics today), and the current your SOL if you don't win the coin toss that is in place (that's some exaggeration on my part)

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yea I kno haha, check the sig.

20. 624

624 Banned

I already pointed out in another thread, here I'll quote* my 2 posts about it.

* Quote is a cool fuction this board offers, that soxxx is yet to figure out how to use.